No announcement yet.

Missing hunter found dead.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just downloaded a GPS app to my phone.

Comment

Prayers for his family. I have seen many plaques on trees in Colorado where people were lost and died to remind me to be aware of my location. I was once unable to get where I wanted to go for a couple of hours due to a rock field but I knew basically where I was on the mountain and finally found a way around it.

Comment

Sad deal.
        Just simple reminders:
        An empty bullet case makes a good whistle.
        3 shots in succession signal help is needed.
        ALWAYS tell SOMEONE where you'll be.
        If you're lost, truly lost, stay put & don't get more lost.
        Always have @ least a bottle of water, energy/protein bar & fire source on you.

Comment

double.

Comment

Originally posted by Roger View Post
            The GPS on your phone uses the same positioning satellites any other gps uses. Completely independent of cell service. That said, just like any gps, if down in a canyon or something where your unit can't "see" three satellites, you'll lose connection l.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
            Okay, thank you for the info. I was just wondering.

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
              I don’t understand all those referencing he fact that he was after a hog. It makes no difference what the animal was. Why even say that? He was hunting and pursuing the game he shot, and got lost.

It’s not like he decided the risk of death was worth it for a hog vs a 12 point buck.
              Exactly. Some people say some really dumb things. I guess some would excuse it if the animal was a trophy.

Comment

Sad deal. Stories like these always make me re-evaluate my choices to hunt alone. On small property I often go up to my place by myself to hunt but I always make sure to check in with my wife before and after a hunt without fail. If she hasn't heard from me within an hour of when I usually check in her standing instructions are to drive out and come find me and/or call for help

Comment

Originally posted by mjhaverkamp View Post
                  Don't make sense to me, if he called someone you would think there would have been a search and rescue team out there looking for him. Crowell has had some sad deals lately, last season someone was run over by a tractor and plow and was killed, i swear, thoughts and prayers for all the family and friends.
                  This was one of my very best friends and a customer of mine. There was search parties. Just took over 2 days to find him. I saw his son today. He is devastated. Was trying not to show but he is devastated. As am I. Please pray for this family. He was a very godly man and we had many conversations about knowing Jesus.

Comment

Prayers for the family

Comment

Awful story. I was told when I was young to walk to a fence, pick a direction and start walking to a gate / road / and stay on the road. 8000 acres is not that big but if you find yourself walking in circles it dang sure is. Hate to hear this.

Comment

Originally posted by murph62 View Post
                        This was one of my very best friends and a customer of mine. There was search parties. Just took over 2 days to find him. I saw his son today. He is devastated. Was trying not to show but he is devastated. As am I. Please pray for this family. He was a very godly man and we had many conversations about knowing Jesus.
                        Thats tough sir! Prayers up for his family and you as well!

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
                          I just downloaded a GPS app to my phone.
                          Which one?

Comment

Note to those thinking about downloading gps app. As stated above they will work without cell just like a regular gps will do HOWEVER you need to download a map of your hunting area because if you do lose cell signal you will lose your Topo map or sat map whatever your using. Most good GPS apps have that function. Lots of the free or cheaper ones dont Once map is downloaded it doesn’t matter what your cell signal is

Comment

Originally posted by murph62 View Post
                              So sorry for the loss of your friend. May he rest in peace. Condolenses to the family.
                              Last edited by Ellen; 01-05-2021, 07:18 AM.

Comment

Just found this. I don't do Facebook so I hope the link works.

Contrary to what you hear in the news & on social media every single day.......there are still millions of good people in this world! This was in response to a missing hunter near Crowell, TX....

Comment

Working...
                                X