Side by sides in Colorado GMUs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Side by sides in Colorado GMUs

Been there a few times but taken my 4 wheeler.

I know there are some places up there that have 50" max trails.

Specifically im asking about 81. Can you take a sxs into that unit?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I hunt that unit and you can have Sxs and four wheelers. But only in dedicated areas . On certain trails per say only

Comment

Just left Colorado. Met and visited with a few locals and was informed of an app for iPhones.

“CO TREX”. Has most all trails in the state along with restrictions (ie. bike, atv, utv, horseback, Jeep)

Comment

You can have a SXS on the 4 wheel drive roads, not really any trails in Unit 81 that allow something that wide. 50" max width on a designated trail but again very few trails that even allow a motorcycle. Large portion of 81 is wilderness area and NO motorized vehicles. If you see a pile of dirt across a trail/road, it's closed. Colorado changed the laws several years back, that if a trail is not marked that it allows motorcycles or ATV's, then it is closed. Even on the 4x4 and forestry roads, you are required to have a Colorado OHV sticker. Unit 81 has State Trust, BLM and Rio Grande National forest. Rio Grande National forest is really only place that allows an ATV for game retrieval and only if the trail is NOT closed. Link to Rio Grande National forest website, that explains OHV motorized use. https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/riogr...telprdb5167720
        And State Trust/BLM has their own rules and more restrictive.

Comment

Thanks folks. Ill check out the app.

We were there 2 yrs ago and we and others were on the main trails north of chama. Just used them to get our stuff into base camp and ride to new areas. Very little seat time on the bikes.

Picking up a Can Am this week and was gonna sell my Rancher, but I guess Ill keep it now lol

Comment

I’ve done it a few years ago. Be sure you use only designated trails that allow SUV’s. Also need a permit/sticker - I got mine on the CPWD website during the summer right after the draw. They mailed it to me pretty quick.

Comment

NFS is putting up 50" pipe gates on most ATV trails around the State. If they arent in your unit yet, they will be. If you have an 800, it will fit... the 900's and the 4 seaters wont. The flip side is if there isn't a 50" gate, but it's an "ATV" trail, they are starting to get really prickly about full sized SXS's on them. I actually went back to a 4-wheeler for hunting instead of my SXS.

I'm betting that with the budget crunch this year in Colorado, and the changes in the draw, there are going to be far fewer warnings given for violations, and lots more revenue generating tickets.

Comment

I am looking at the Can-Am Maverick Trail due to all the trail restrictions in CO.

Comment

Glad to hear they are putting pipes up. I always see the signs get taken down and trees cut out of the way so UTV/ATV's can fit further up trails.

Comment

Originally posted by fish4food View Post
                    Just left Colorado. Met and visited with a few locals and was informed of an app for iPhones.

“CO TREX”. Has most all trails in the state along with restrictions (ie. bike, atv, utv, horseback, Jeep)
                    This is our favorite app for trips to Colorado.

Comment

Another watch out we were informed of, is they were really going to crack down on the unregistered vehicles running around on the forestry roads. The vehicle has to be licensed street legal, which very few Texas OHV are. Last summer, roads around South Fork had dozens of trailers where ATV's unloaded and 99% had Texas tags. People driving those roads like they were entered in the Baja 1000.

Comment

Originally posted by XR650RRider View Post
                        Another watch out we were informed of, is they were really going to crack down on the unregistered vehicles running around on the forestry roads. The vehicle has to be licensed street legal, which very few Texas OHV are. Last summer, roads around South Fork had dozens of trailers where ATV's unloaded and 99% had Texas tags. People driving those roads like they were entered in the Baja 1000.

Are you sure about that? We've been riding Forestry Roads in CO for a very long time (some in our group 20+ years), have talked with numerous Rangers and Wardens on the roads and never have any of them asked if our sxs's or atv's were "street legal". The only thing they've ever checked is to make sure our ohv had the appropriate permit/sticker applied in the correct location. We put close to 500-600 miles per trip on ours

Comment

OnX Off-road will give you real time information regarding any roads or trails, and it includes vehicle size restrictions etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Sackett View Post
                            Are you sure about that? We've been riding Forestry Roads in CO for a very long time (some in our group 20+ years), have talked with numerous Rangers and Wardens on the roads and never have any of them asked if our sxs's or atv's were "street legal". The only thing they've ever checked is to make sure our ohv had the appropriate permit/sticker applied in the correct location. We put close to 500-600 miles per trip on ours
                            There's the problem. You have to consult the MVUM (motor vehicle use map), most of the major forestry roads, are designated "Roads open to highway legal vehicles only, with Seasonal Designation" but there are dozens of off-road legal vehicles on them. The racing, loud exhaust, lack of forestry legal spark arrestor is ruining it for people who abide by the rules.

Comment

Read the regs here: https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE...rdb5437261.pdf

If you have an OHV sticker from Colorado you are good to go.

Comment

Working...
                              X