Wanting to get into elk hunting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wanting to get into elk hunting

Can anyone give me a good rundown of how i would even go about starting? I really want to get into it with a buddy of mine but it seems like a huge learning curve with all of the draws and gear etc.. Lets hear from the seasoned guys on how to get started!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

All of which you seek can be found in this thread.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Comment

If the other link didn't work try this one.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Comment

Never k ew this thread existed thanks

Comment

Yes I want to do this some day. In for the input.

Comment

Go to Colorado department of fish and game. They have a couple good vids.
            Pretty much just drive to Colorado and buyt an over the counter tag

Comment

Start saving your money.. Lots of it. There are also some good videos on youtube regarding the draw in different states.

Comment

It's way more simple than you think. Start saving some money. Read the elk thread and Google your questions and read the responses on rokslide. Get an otc tag next year and cover ground. You don't need fancy gear. Just go. Watch the 50 "land of the free" videos from born and raised outdoors and every other YouTube elk hunt you can find. By this time next year, you'll know everything you're gonna know without getting out there and doing it.

Comment

Start working out now!

Comment

Where is elkhunter when you really need him.....

Tagged

Comment

What would the round about cost be for tags? And is there any others i should try and get with the elk tags? From what I've seen the seasons all fall on time frames when i have classes going on and cant take off for a week so is there one that goes for a month or are they all mostly just week long seasons?

Comment

Originally posted by texasforever View Post
                        What would the round about cost be for tags? And is there any others i should try and get with the elk tags? From what I've seen the seasons all fall on time frames when i have classes going on and cant take off for a week so is there one that goes for a month or are they all mostly just week long seasons?

Depends on the state and if your talking archery or rifle.

You said you've got a buddy that goes? Tap into that knowledge base, figure out what state and unit then start googling from there. It's daunting when you first start but take it one bit at a time. There is an over abundance of information out there on the internet.

I was in your shoes a few years ago, except I didn't have any friends except for those I found through researching. You'll get out of it what you put into it.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Thumper View Post
                          Where is elkhunter when you really need him.....

Tagged
                          I feel his presence 🤔

Comment

Originally posted by Merc View Post
                            Depends on the state and if your talking archery or rifle.

You said you've got a buddy that goes? Tap into that knowledge base, figure out what state and unit then start googling from there. It's daunting when you first start but take it one bit at a time. There is an over abundance of information out there on the internet.

I was in your shoes a few years ago, except I didn't have any friends except for those I found through researching. You'll get out of it what you put into it.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
                            No my friend brought up the idea of us going on our first trips together. Planning on going for rifle. But I'll start looking into it. I think the only thing that would be stopping me this coming year is the dates clashing with having college and all

Comment

Originally posted by NoFence View Post
                              It's way more simple than you think. Start saving some money. Read the elk thread and Google your questions and read the responses on rokslide. Get an otc tag next year and cover ground. You don't need fancy gear. Just go. Watch the 50 "land of the free" videos from born and raised outdoors and every other YouTube elk hunt you can find. By this time next year, you'll know everything you're gonna know without getting out there and doing it.
                              This, ive always been a bit hesitant not understanding game units draws ect. Last year went with a buddy. 650 for either sex tag, 100 dollars for fuel each, 100 dollars each for groceries. 3 of us went with my truck towing buddies camper. Find public land and hunt.
                              Going again in a couple of weeks to colorado, and in october going to uncharted land for me in utah doing the same thing.

Comment

Working...
                              X