Shoulder surgery next week

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well just confirmed getting some bone spurs cut out and having rotater cuff surgery to repair torn tendons. I heard it sucked but any advice on what to expect and what to do and not do??

You will hate it but physical therapy is your friend. Good luck!

Comment

I have only had a replacement. And need another. I could not sleep in flat bed for first couple weeks. I slept in recliner. The PT is your friend. I did it twice a day on my own, they were amazed how I good was doing. Hopefully, I will get other one done at end of this year. Good luck and did I mention, do the PT

A wise man’s heart inclines to the right, but the heart of a fool to the left.
      Ecclesiastes 10:2

Comment

You will love it when it’s over but I’m afraid that’s going to be a while.

Do the PT!

Comment

Wish I could tell you it is a piece of cake but it is a long recovery an you must do the PT. There is light at the end. Good Luck

Comment

No hunting season! You are done!

Comment

Get a recliner if you don't already have one. Sleeping after surgery seemed impossible for me until I got a recliner. None of the local furniture stores had them available. I ended up having to rent one until the one I ordered was "built and delivered".

PT will be critical for recovery. Restoring range of motion & strength will mostly be dependent on your commitment to PT.

Best of luck to you on a complete and speedy recovery.

Comment

I'm afraid that I will have to do the same. I got an injection last week and it doesn't seem to be helping. Good luck.

Comment

Get an Ice machine that circulates ice water on the shoulder, also a recliner. You may not be able to sleep in the bed and will need a recliner for a few weeks. Good Luck !

Comment

They put you in a brace that makes doing almost anything impossible. Your first shower after surgery you will hear a bunch of popping, grinding and whatnot from all the water they pump into you, it is kind of strange feeling. After that, sleep is tough, you can do the recliner or just use enough pillows to make you comfortable on the other side. We have an adjustable base on our bed and that really helped me.

On the PT; if you get someone that seems uninterested in your recovery request another therapist. After I had the exercises down I quit going and did everything at home. I could not take off work twice a week.

The surgery and recovery sucked, but 10 years later I am really glad I went ahead and got it done. Before surgery, I could not bench press without my left shoulder losing strength with sharp pain. I could not raise my arm above shoulder height, etc. I went to three different surgeons and all had a different diagnosis as my MRI did not show the severity of the issue. I was ultimately diagnosed with a torn labrum. I ended up needing a few screws and some other things to stabilize it while in surgery.

Good luck! If yours is as bad, or worse, than mine was you will feel like a new person.

Comment

Like everyone else said do your pt. I done my scheduled workouts and I also done the same workout at home on the days I didn't go to physical therapy. The bone spurs he cut off my shoulder were huge and I had to sleep in a recliner for a month before I could sleep a few hours at night in bed. In my case the bone healing is the pain that lasted the longest. I had surgery on April 30th and I can now draw a bow back which I couldn't do before surgery as my shoulder would collapse on me. That said I still can't shoot yet as it hurts like crazy when I release the string. If you plan on hunting this year with a bow I would definitely look at getting a crossbow. Good luck and as another reminder do your physical therapy. You will notice the differences everyday in your shoulder as it heals and the work you do in physical therapy. Good luck and I hope it goes smoothly for you.

Comment

Originally posted by mudslinger View Post
                        no hunting season! You are done!
                        no sir

Comment

Hunting season this year with a bow will be very hard to do, you don't want to start that to soon cause that will undo all that was done, take it from experience, like all has said be sure and do your PT lots of ice. Good Luck

God Bless
                          Bish

Comment

Who is doing your surgery?

p.s. How is your dad holding up?

Comment

Dr Stanley

Dad is doing ok good days and bad lots of good days lately
                              Ty for asking

Comment

Working...
                              X