Wake Boat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wake Boat

Well I thought with all the years bass fishing I’d never udder the following words, but I am looking at a wake boat or a Tri toon with a wake tower . I’d love to buy new , but $100k is not in the budget this year. I currently have my Champion bass boat and have owned boats my whole life but know nothing about them and don’t know where to start .
    I just started looking and know my current only requirement is that it has to seat around 6 to 8 adults / kids comfortably , and the wife and son want a tower with speakers .
    Any insight on what boats to look at and ones to steer clear of as well as vdrive issues or trouble free power options . I’d like to buy used but not sure on what too look for besides the obvious .
    - what brands are good and year models ?
    - what brands are not built well or not a good choice due to known issues ?
    - what options are a must for wake boarding / surfing ?
    - good power plant options , and poor choices for dependability ?
    - minimum Hp ?
    - what’s too many hrs on a V drive ?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated

Oops, sorry. Thought that you were talking about a Woke Boat. Was wondering what that would look like .... maybe steers only to the left..

Comment

Originally posted by ROCKET View Post
      Well I thought with all the years bass fishing I’d never udder the following words, but I am looking at a wake boat or a Tri toon with a wake tower . I’d love to buy new, but $100k is not in the budget this year. Any insight would be greatly appreciated
      LOL, me and you both. You mean you're not looking at the $330K Pavati ? lol

I too have ventured down this lane a little bit since my boys and their friends are into the wake sports and love to be on the water. I will keep my Triton for fishing but I have been looking at the Heyday line of wake boats. I have yet to see one in person or even get really deep into reviews but it seems like a good entry point rig, for it's intended purpose.

Have you seen any or considered that line? I have seen a few of the older Nautique and Mastercrafts but those are going the way of the Air Stream trailers, old school, nostalgic classics that even in only fair shape command a lot of money. Many are project boats at inflated prices. Those also are not true "wake boats" and not set up for big ballast bags.

I will be following along.

Comment

Funny you mentioned Heyday , I spent a few hours last night looking at them, the only thing I have found is that there base price is fair, but the price increases quick when outfitting it , to the point I believe for a little more you could step into another line of boats . Maybe I’m missing something ?
        I do know I want a pickle fork style front end to help with seating if I can swing it .

Comment

Funny you mentioned Heyday , I spent a few hours last night looking at them, the only thing I have found is that there base price is fair, but the price increases quick when outfitting it , to the point I believe for a little more you could step into another line of boats . Maybe I’m missing something?
          I may not have spent the time to outfit one but I will tomorrow. It was my understanding that some of those features were built into those price points?

Comment

Ive got a 01 xstar that ive almost completely redone. Il sell it. Im at 25k firm. It literally looks like a new boat. When i say new everything. I mean new everything. Motor interior carpet all of it. A pickle fork look for a 05 and up xstar. Possibly a malibu mxz. Your gona be in the 60k range at that point. Im the original owner of mine.

Comment

As long as u stay w the big 3, malibu mastercraft or natique you ll hold resale value good. Ive been around wakeboard boats and the sport since i was a kid im 40 now. Have a buddy whos a malibu rider he can sell u a boat at cost after he uses it for a season, but his cost is still way up there.

Comment

Its the same as any other boat, buy as big of a power plant as u can. Only motor that had known issues were the chevy big block 8.1 that only came if u special ordered w that motor. I can try to help w any questions u have, ive been around em all. Def buy a v drive not a inboard ski ski boat.

Comment

Well I just sold my 2005 Moomba XLV last summer. Kids grown and outta the house so let her go. That boat was a work horse. Never had an issue with motor or transmission. Highly recommend this boat. Surf, wakeboard, ski and tube while blasting 20 speakers of pop and country music for the kids. Great times. My oldest daughter and son in law have a 2018 Nautique G25 and it's a great boat a lot more sophisticated electronics and just a fantastic wake.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

As far as what to look for/features:

Inboard.

V drive vs direct: a v drive will typically throw a better wake, direct drive handle a little better. True wakeboarding boats will be a vdrive. That being said, you can set up a direct drive fairly easy with sacks and moving people around. Vdrives typically will allow for more people in boat. If you want to surf, buy the vdrive.

Motor: almost all of them will be indmar to some degree. Some of the older, late 90s early 2000s you could still get carbureted, but primarily EFI.

Ballast: built in system the way to go. If budget doesn’t allow, manual ballast with handheld pumps can get it done.

Perfect pass: basically cruise control for a boat. Worth it if you can swing it.

Brands: Nautique, Mastercraft and Malibu probably have best reputation and popularity. Tige and supra made a good boat. There’s a few other brands like moomba that are/were at a better price point.

The market has gone crazy in last decade on pricing. I worked at a Malibu/mastercraft dealership in early 2000s and the flagship models were in the 60s.

As mentioned earlier, an early 2000s xstar or Malibu would be a good starting point, or a tige of similar vintage.

Hope you find what you’re looking for. I spent most of my teenage years and early 20s on them and have many a fond memory. My dad had a Malibu sportster we would always take out at 6 on Sundays before church. Simpler times.

Comment

Originally posted by pervis View Post
                      Ive got a 01 xstar that ive almost completely redone. Il sell it. Im at 25k firm. It literally looks like a new boat. When i say new everything. I mean new everything. Motor interior carpet all of it. A pickle fork look for a 05 and up xstar. Possibly a malibu mxz. Your gona be in the 60k range at that point. Im the original owner of mine.
                      Pm sent

Comment

I had a 2005 supra 21V for 5 or so years and it was a great boat. Indmar 350 had plenty of power. Kept the bass boat for fishing.

Go vdrive, no other choice.
                        Supra didnt have the best surf wake but newer surf plates have done wonders for that.
                        Had ballast bags and internal plumbing. 1100lbs up front 750 on each rear, had 1000 external bags for those "i wanna fly" days.
                        Perfect pass or the like is a must
                        Playpen front seating was well liked, buddy's picklefork didn't add any more room, but the ladder was nice.
                        Held 8 easy, 12 for swimming and partying
                        Bought and sold for the same price 5 years later, i did add nice tower speakers and sub which kept value up.

Vinegar/water mix on exterior as soon as it comes out, then liquid spray wax. The crew knew better than to leave before it was sparkling.

If i could find that exact boat i would buy it back, lots of great memories.

Comment

Look around for an MB. They are big in California but not here. We love ours and much more bang for buck

Comment

Originally posted by RWB View Post
                            Look around for an MB. They are big in California but not here. We love ours and much more bang for buck

I’ve heard a lot of very good things about MB over the years.

Comment

Pm sent

Just tried to send you a PM but you’re box is full.

Comment

Working...
                              X