Home A/C ad-ons - gimmicks or value?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Home A/C ad-ons - gimmicks or value?

Now that I'm pricing a replacement a/c for my house, it seems like all the contractors are hard pressing the "upsale".
    What are your thoughts on these two below:

Aeroseal the ducts, a service done one time to seal the small leaks on the supply and return sides. The house is 14 years old, with flexible metal ducts in the attic - and no duct issues that I know of.

REME HALO - whole home air purifier. Supposed to kill 99% of bacteria/mold/viruses, kills 99% of viruses on surfaces. My wife works in the medical field, and I think they knew that before recommending this add-on.
    Could be worthwhile, but is it any better than just a UV light that is much cheaper?

Thanks in advance for any info you can share. I was expecting the high bids for system replacement, but the hard upsells have suprised me.

I cannot endorse either of these add ons, not familiar with either one. Did they do a duct pressure test to determine leakage? Seems like there are lots of air cleaning gimmicks out there now, some may be snake oil, and some may be legit. Do your research. In my opinion, high efficiency air filtration is a must. When i was active, it wasn't an option. If it would fit, it got one, adds very little to costs to install while doing a changeout.
    UV purification in the coil area is something i believe in, to kill biologicals that can grow on the wet coil.
    Go with the highest efficiency you can afford, as most higher seer systems will deliver a better level of comfort, being 2 stg. or variable capacity, and can render actual humidity control, not just lower humidity. Oversizing will cause high humidity issues, so right sizing is critical, especially in single stg systems. Better filtration and air purification add maintenance costs, so this needs to be considered also. Big filters cost more, compared to 1" filters, but the cost difference is well worth it, compared to benefits. Gonna be your call on the air purifying deals though.
    Do your research. Your contractor is not just trying to make more money, he is trying to give you a better level of comfort, which gives you better value. Add ons do make them more money, you just have to decide which ones of them are worth it to you.

Comment

Thanks. I appreciate the info.

Comment

I can't endorse either one either. However, the supply company I work for sells the REME Halo but I have no dealings with the product itself as I'm on the distribution side of the company and just send these out to our branches as they are ordered.....which is often.

Comment

Aeroseal is a good product if you have inaccessible ducts that need to be sealed, like between floors on a two story home. If the ducts are accessible they can be sealed by hand just as good.

Having said that, the ducts need to be sealed (including buckets to the sheetrock) properly. So, if they offer two options, one hand sealed and one Aerosealed, go with the less expensive unless the ducts are inaccessible.

REME HALO is a quality product, I have been installing, and personally using, them since the Guardian Air came out 20 years ago. They new LED version is even better. I guarantee that you will notice a change in the air quality of your home when you install it.

I would also recommend an upgraded air filter, something like an AprilAire filter, or a 4 inch honeywell or equivalent. MERV 13 all you need in a home (unless you are trying to filter a particular allergen, then that's a whole 'nuther thing). The 4 inch filters will have less of a pressure drop (helping keep your total external static pressure down) while being a higher MERV and needing changing less frequently. We install AprilAire on every system as part of the package. If you want to use filters in a filter grille you will need the honeywell headered filters to fit properly.

Comment

I sell a lot of Aeroseal and firmly believe in the product. It is one of the best products to hit our industry in a very long time. That being said, a great solution is worthless without a problem for it to solve. If your ductwork is structurally sound, connections are mastic sealed, and there is no indication of leakage, you might be paying for very little improvement.

I am not a dealer for the Reme Halo, but know it is a very popular item (i sell a similar product from one of their competitors). They work as advertised. Again, you need a problem first before a solution. If people in the home suffers from respiratory problems or chronic illnesses, it is probably well worth it.

Comment

Originally posted by Rat View Post
              Aeroseal is a good product if you have inaccessible ducts that need to be sealed, like between floors on a two story home. If the ducts are accessible they can be sealed by hand just as good.

Having said that, the ducts need to be sealed (including buckets to the sheetrock) properly. So, if they offer two options, one hand sealed and one Aerosealed, go with the less expensive unless the ducts are inaccessible.

REME HALO is a quality product, I have been installing, and personally using, them since the Guardian Air came out 20 years ago. They new LED version is even better. I guarantee that you will notice a change in the air quality of your home when you install it.

I would also recommend an upgraded air filter, something like an AprilAire filter, or a 4 inch honeywell or equivalent. MERV 13 all you need in a home (unless you are trying to filter a particular allergen, then that's a whole 'nuther thing). The 4 inch filters will have less of a pressure drop (helping keep your total external static pressure down) while being a higher MERV and needing changing less frequently. We install AprilAire on every system as part of the package. If you want to use filters in a filter grille you will need the honeywell headered filters to fit properly.

All good advice. I also use Aprilaire filters on every install and there isn’t a better one out there for the money.

Comment

Thanks to all for the input.
                Seems like all the contractors are including the Aprilaire filters in the bid.

The house is just a one story, and I don't know of any duct problems. I think I'll skip the Aeroseal.

The Reme Halo has my curiosity up, and I'm probably going to have one installed.

Comment

Check on your ability to get replacement filters before making the decision. The aprilaire is a good filter. They are available at ac supply outlets, honewell is easy to get.

I have not tried to procure an aprilaire except through wholesale outlets, but it may be easily available. Dont let high replacement costs scare you. You only need to change these filters once a year or so, and you get 5+ times better filtration, with less power requirements to push air through the filter.

Comment

Working...
                  X