Small Cold Smoker Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Small Cold Smoker Project

I have a large walk in smokehouse for doing large amount of meats. It has worked great for many years but I have always wanted something smaller and I decided to make one the other day. I plan on doing a small amount of summer sausage in a few days and figured this will work for me.

Looked online for a few ideas and made this. I am not done with it as it still needs a door. In the future it should be able to smoke , cheese, eggs, salt, nuts etc etc.

First off I made a box using 34" plywood and installed hanging supports inside.

Then I made the generator using 3/8" SS tube, 1/2" back pipe and 4" square tubing. The top and bottom of the square tubing are removable. Wood chips or sawdust are used. You start the fuel at the bottom with a torch, the air is drawn upward through the air passing through the 1/2" pipe by air supplied by a small air pump.

This thing will pump out the smoke just using sawdust or woodchips and will do it without any heat thus making it able to smoke delicate things.

Will finish it up by making a door tomorrow. I have lifetime supply of oak nd mesquite chips nd sawdust so there wont be a problem feeding it. A single charge should last hours.

Now THAT is a really cool project right there....

Comment

Are there holes in the stainless pipe?

Comment

This looks great. Any more details on the pipe? How long is inside pipe and where are the holes?

Comment

No the only hole is in the 1/2" black pipe, it's pointed downward and is for drawing the smoke through.

This shows you a better view before welding the pipe inside the other pipe.

The air passing through the smaller pipe forms a suction/vaccum and draws the smoke out from the bottom of the sq tube.

Comment

I did something similar but used coroplast sheets instead of plywood. I tried several home made smoke generators but was never 100% satisfied with the results. I now use the pellet tray from A-MAZE-N products. It furnishes about eight hours of smoke with no attention.

Comment

Wow, this is one of the best DIY projects that I have seen here.

Comment

Very intrigued by the generator. More details and pics would be great. Maybe a sketch of how it all goes together and functions? Great build.

Comment

Originally posted by 1claire View Post
                  Wow, this is one of the best DIY projects that I have seen here.
                  You should check out my barndominium build, it might not be the best but probably one of the most complex and bigger DIY's here.

Comment

Smoked eggs? I must google this

Comment

I made the door and installed it along with a couple of hinges. Got the hanging tubes cut also. For its maiden voyage I made 20lbs of summer sausage awhile today and it will go into the smoker tomorrow for a few hours.

Going to cut up some beef roast and marinate it tonight and throw that and some hard boiled eggs in there too. Hope this all works out
                      Last edited by sendit; 02-16-2019, 05:48 PM.

Comment

In to see how this turns out!

Comment

You are going to cold smoke the summer sausage? How do you finish it out for done temp? And what's the advantage? The pellet tubes work well for cold smoking. You get about 4 hours out of them. I have a similar smoker setup as you and it does well with two pellet tubes. Put on cheese or whatever and come back in 4 hours to smoked cheese.

Comment

Originally posted by b.a.saha View Post
                            You are going to cold smoke the summer sausage? How do you finish it out for done temp? And what's the advantage? The pellet tubes work well for cold smoking. You get about 4 hours out of them. I have a similar smoker setup as you and it does well with two pellet tubes. Put on cheese or whatever and come back in 4 hours to smoked cheese.

Yeah I just wanted to get a little smoke on them before cooking them.
                            I see that pellets are somewhat new and popular today but I have no experience with them.

Sawdust/shavings and chips are byproduct of mine.
                            I have several lifetime supplies of oak and mesquite wood. Yesterday I milled 2 pieces of oak appx 1 1/8" thick, they were about 4 ' long. I had 7 1/2 lbs of pure white oak shavings afterwards.

Will try various things in the morning with the generator, mainly using shavings vs chips and controlling the air supply. Interested in what burn times I'll get. The tube is 14" long. Other than the hinges, conduit and air pump this was mad of scraps.

Comment

I like the idea. Should work well. Do you do any wood "slabs"? Like for a table? Looking for a 10-12' oak or pecan or even mesquite one to make a table thingy for behind the couch. Just for putting pictures on and etc. 12-24" wide would do it.

Comment

Working...
                              X