No announcement yet.

HS Football & COVID 19

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A lot of schools shut down til July 13th. I think it is the smart thing to do in the bigger schools. I could only imagine the nightmare it is to limit the kids and what not in those schools.

We are still cranking it out. I expect our numbers to be down this week leading to July 4th and next week we are off. Schools/ Coaches have to continue to be smart about this. I've seen way too many images/videos of schools breaking the UIL guidelines and the whole summer ball/7 on 7 leagues are not helping the situation. Just my .02

Baseball/Football wont switch. Too much of a logistical nightmare if you ask me.

Comment

I believe TAAPS is actually the one that is bringing it up...UIL I dont think would do it

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

HS Football & COVID 19

My son has been doing strength and conditioning along with position drills for the last 3 weeks. A girl cross country runner tested positive this weekend so they shut it all down for a minimum of 2 weeks.

I’m a horrible parent I guess. I don’t care if they play or not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Flex View Post
          They've shut down a bunch around us.

Feels like I see new ones post they are shutting it down every day the last few weeks.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
          Same story for Central Texas..

Comment

Originally posted by Mastro View Post
            Same story for Central Texas..
            That's where I am.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Maybe cancel all sports and just have the kids double up on school work? Just a thought

Comment

Originally posted by sbushee View Post
                Maybe cancel all sports and just have the kids double up on school work? Just a thought
                There’s a saturation point with a student learning, could probably check some boxes and say they “learned” twice as much content but there would be little to no depth. IMO you take away extracurricular’s that saturation point gets met even sooner.

Comment

Lots of Central Texas (Waco and Surrounding Areas) schools suspending their summer work outs until July 13th or so.

Rwc

Comment

The idea of swapping football and baseball seasons originated in New Jersey and is something they are still considering.

Football, baseball flipping seasons for 2020-21 season can work: McGarry
                    MICHAEL McGARRY Staff Writer May 22, 2020

The National Federation of State High School Associations released guidelines this week for the return of high school sports from the COVID-19 pandemic.

Some of the protocols and procedures are formidable and leave one wondering if sports can return at all. For example, during phase one of the return, teams can’t use a common ball in practice without disinfecting it after each player’s touch.

The NFHS recommendations should also be causing New Jersey athletic directors, coaches and the New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association to think outside the box. That means embracing radical ideas, such as baseball in the fall and football in the spring.

The NFHS divided sports into three risk categories — high, moderate and low. Football is classified in the high risk category along with wrestling, boys lacrosse, competitive cheering and dancing.

With that in mind, the question needs to be asked.

The return of high school sports is sure to be tricky, so why are states, including New Jersey, trying to bring back football, maybe the most difficult sport to return first?

The challenges football presents are multiple. High school football teams have the biggest rosters. There is no social distancing in a sport that relies on blocking and tackling.

Meanwhile, baseball, by its nature, is much better able to deal with the demands of social distancing than football.

The NFHS places baseball in the moderate risk category and says the sport can be considered low risk with the appropriate cleaning of equipment and use of masks by participants.

New Jersey high school fall sport practices are scheduled to begin in August. The NJSIAA is expected to soon announce information to guide the return of state high school sports. For the 2020-21 school year, New jersey should play football in the spring and baseball in the fall. The football-crazed state of Ohio is considering such a plan.

The benefits are numerous.

With a football season that begins March 1, the state’s high schools are buying themselves more than seven additional months to devise ways to overcome the challenges of the COVID-19 pandemic. High schools will be able to learn from the return of NFL and college football. What worked well on that level? What didn’t? What unexpected obstacles did the NFL or colleges face?

The naysayers will proclaim there’s plenty of reasons why football and baseball can’t switch seasons.

Comment

The Ivy League participated in the first ever college football game. It could again be a leader in the post Covid-19 world of CFB.

Comment

do you have kids?

Comment

Still upset you didn't make the team.....

Comment

I coach my son's high school baseball team and was talking to the AD this weekend about maintenance on the new baseball field when he brought this to my attention that seasons may be switched.

Comment

Logistically speaking...... Let's say they do flip the seasons, what about the coaches who coach multiple sports and the kids who play multiple sports. It would be a nightmare.

You would screw kids who play multiple sports in the fall at smaller schools and coaches would have to pick which sport to coach.

Just use me as an example. Football/Powerlifting/Baseball..

Football can end in December then I go to Powerlifting. Regional and State powerlifting is in march. Our whole team powerlifts and I have multiple girls who qualify for state. Would they have to pick to go lift at the state meet or go to a week 2 game?

Comment

UIL asking schools to temporarily shut down summer camp...

Comment

Working...
                                X