DIY target question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DIY target question.

Weekend quarantine project is gonna be a target with a plywood/2x4 frame. Stuffed with old clothes plastic bags etc. how deep should it be? 16, 18, 20 inches. I know Rat has a nice one maybe he will chime in. I’m also planning on using an old trampoline mat for the faces. Seems like a good way to repurpose it.
    Last edited by Stoof; 03-20-2020, 02:51 PM.

Wow I was thinking the same thing about this being a good project. I will need to determine what to use for my faces. In for advice.

Comment

I have one I built 4 by 4 . I used plastic wrap off of pallets.. if I remember correctly its 12 inches thick.. I packed it until it was about doubt the thickness then stapled cardboard over it to hold it in .. then wrapped it in tarp.. it works pretty good .. It stops field points but not broadheads..

Every now and then I have to put a new harbor freight tarp on it. I just leave the old one and add the nee one to it..
      Last edited by jds247; 03-20-2020, 07:25 PM.

Comment

I went 3x3 and 16 deep. There’s no way in hail that I got enough packing material to fill this thing yet.

Comment

I framed mine with 2x12s. I shoot a slow trad bow but it easily stops arrows from a compound as well. The key is to make sure you pack it tightly

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Those look great. Nice work

Comment

I have a few pictures but it's too much trouble to post on this site.. it took me 3 months to collect enough plastic to fill mine.. I have a total of 40 bucks in the target and its lasted 9 months so far.. that includes 3 new tarps.. I shoot a block target out in about a month.. I'm not gonna pay 100 bucks a month for a target..

Comment

Progress. I’m about two thirds full. About to go raid the closets! [emoji38]

Comment

A little late to the party, buuuut...

12 inches is plenty deep for a cloth filled target. I use the Third Hand Archery target faces, so when your trampoline material eventually gives up that is the best option.

Looking good BTW.

Comment

Originally posted by Stoof View Post
                    I went 3x3 and 16 deep. There’s no way in hail that I got enough packing material to fill this thing yet.

goodwill and buy a trash bag of t-shirts

Comment

Working...
                    X