Actual Archery Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Actual Archery Thread

I’m 125% positive this has been beat to death 20X’s over... Just wanted to divert from another Corona Virus Thread. Dale is over it by now. Strings. When replacing bow strings, just about every shop I’ve been to has their flavor of custom strings. How many of you go that route or use strings from the manufacturer of the bow? Do any of you replace strings with a new bow or use the factory strings till time to replace?

I had a bow restrung with custom strings at Live Oak Archery in Bryan. They are way better than the originals. Got a new Mathew bow a year ago and that string needs to be replace already. Will go back with custom.

Comment

Originally posted by Paycheck View Post
      I had a bow restrung with custom strings at Live Oak Archery in Bryan. They are way better than the originals. Got a new Mathew bow a year ago and that string needs to be replace already. Will go back with custom.
      Up and till now my previous bows were all upgrades from the other. About the time strings needing replaced. Finally have a bow that I like more than the others and will restring it. Plus replacing is getting expensive. Lol

Comment

It depends on the bow company and what you want.

Pretty much across the board I have heard that Winner's Choice has gone down hill since being bought by the same company that owns Elite bows, and that is what Elite uses.

However, I have used Prime strings and they are great if all you want is black.

Hoyt custom shop has great strings, and you can order them in different colors, but the wait time seems to be much longer than other custom string makers.

I have either personally used or installed Gas, Catfish, Korbins, Vapor, 60X, Texas Twisted and few other custom strings and they have all been great.

Having said that, I make my own string most of the time because it is another aspect of archery I enjoy; but I generally do not make string for other people unless I need to in order to help correct a tune on a specific bow.

On my Prime I shot the factory strings until time to replace, then I bought a new set from Catfish and then I made my own for the third set. If I shot a bow from say Elite, I think I would change the strings as soon as I could to a higher quality string, and I definitely would on a Mathews as I am not a fan of their counter rotated bundles.

Comment

Thanks Rat!!! Great info.

Comment

I have installed hundreds of sets, and shot Winner’s Choice strings for years. I have had zero complaints. I have also installed strings from lots of other manufacturers. Have not seen better performance than WC. I recently installed a set of GAS strings on my personal bow. Good string. I lost 8 fps. I broke my bow down, grabbed my backup twin, and matched specs. Still 8 FPS shy. Not a deal breaker, but I like my 8 fps.

Comment

Originally posted by rocky View Post
              I have installed hundreds of sets, and shot Winner’s Choice strings for years. I have had zero complaints. I have also installed strings from lots of other manufacturers. Have not seen better performance than WC. I recently installed a set of GAS strings on my personal bow. Good string. I lost 8 fps. I broke my bow down, grabbed my backup twin, and matched specs. Still 8 FPS shy. Not a deal breaker, but I like my 8 fps.
              8 fps loss from a GAS string, wow. What do you think is causing that?

Comment

Originally posted by 100%TtId View Post
                8 fps loss from a GAS string, wow. What do you think is causing that?
                Higher strand count is all I can see that could cause it.

Comment

Originally posted by rocky View Post
                  Higher strand count is all I can see that could cause it.
                  I just put on a GAS string and cable and lost 4 fps but I also added a larger peep and extra long peep serving. It does look like a higher strand count as you noted. Seems slightly quieter as well. No stretch after 250 shots break in.

Comment

I change mine every three years, unless the strings are zebras. Ill take that garbage off immediately.

Korbins strings were absolute best, when they were available.

Comment

I have replaced all my strings with 60X and have been very happy. I would definitely go custom strings if you are needing to replace them.

Comment

I shot the original Mathews Zebras on my VXR for a year. Thousands of shots and the string was still ok. However, I decided to replace before it became an issue and went with Vapor Trail from my shop Trader Bows in Lubbock. I can say for sure the Vapor Trails are better. 0 peep turn like the Zebras and much more consistency between Lubbock (3500 ft elevation, 25-35% humidity) and our ranch in Leon County north of College Station (opposite of Lubbock).

Comment

I’m a big 60x and GAS fan. Have a set of America’s Best(PSE factory strings) on my backup bow and they’ve been great so far.

I tried Catfish Customs two different times and had bad peep rotation issues both time and some serving separation real quick like on one of them. He tried to make it right, but I just don’t like his strings. Hear lots of good things about them by lots of people though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

So is there a string that picks up FPS??? I had a last minute restring in August before our elk hunt, and had to stick another set of Zebras on. I am now looking for something more solid. If it matters, I have a Mathews HTX.

I had been considering GAS, but not as interested based on the comments above. Might have to look at 60x, but if anyone has first hand knowledge with an HTX/HTR, I would really appreciate it.

Comment

I ordered a set of USA Custom Strings w/ speed nocks on ebay for an HTR. Saw it pickup 4 fps, but that is comparing end-of-life string speed to brand new string speed. I could not say what the old strings were

Comment

Working...
                              X