Arrow/vane selection help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Arrow/vane selection help

So just ordered a vxr 60lbs 27 inch draw. I am considering axis 5mm 340s. Cut to 27.5 But I can get carbon express maximum red really cheap. Also I am torn on what vanes to go with

I've had great luck with Fusion, Vantec and Max Hunter. Very tough vanes, but I shoot a WB.

Comment

Originally posted by Javelin View Post
      So just ordered a vxr 60lbs 27 inch draw. I am considering axis 5mm 340s. Cut to 27.5 But I can get carbon express maximum red really cheap. Also I am torn on what vanes to go with
      Why are you torn on what vanes to use? Are you looking for a certain attribute out of a vane like speed/weight, noise profile or durability?

Let us know what you want in a vane and we can make informed suggestions.

It really is hard to go wrong with modern vane and materials, let us know what you want out of the arrow and we can steer you in the right direction.

Comment

I keep it pretty simple myself. If I have clearance I run Blazers, if it’s tight like my 35 then I shoot 3” Fusion-II’s. Lots of good options out there so don’t over think it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I dont care for the HIT inserts that come with 5mm arrows. I had issues with them. So now I'm trying the HEXX with a 75gr insert
          Oh and I'm trying AAE hybrid

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Comment

Blazers have worked well for me. Trying heat vanes now in hopes of something quieter.

Comment

I shoot blazers and they've worked well for me but being someone who can't leave well enough alone I'm looking forward to giving the Vantec ( I believe it's the 2.75's) a try.

Comment

Wow an interesting topic!

Comment

If you're looking for something quiet, 2" feathers are what I'm shooting, and they are quieter, and lighter than anything I've tried. They are not as tough as the plastic vanes, and need to be treated to waterproof them, but I really like them. That said, I do like to tinker. You would also want to fletch your own if you go this route, because like I said, they will need more maintenance and changing out than the plastics.

Comment

Originally posted by Grumpyfoot View Post
                    If you're looking for something quiet, 2" feathers are what I'm shooting, and they are quieter, and lighter than anything I've tried. They are not as tough as the plastic vanes, and need to be treated to waterproof them, but I really like them. That said, I do like to tinker. You would also want to fletch your own if you go this route, because like I said, they will need more maintenance and changing out than the plastics.
                    I’m tinkering the same way.... out of being board.

Had a bunch of gift cards from Christmas and nothing I needed.... so I bought a bunch of fletching “stuff” to test myself
                    What I’ve always heard
                    Feathers:
                    1. Loud
                    2. Fast... but slow down faster down range
                    3. Less performance at long distance/.. and with aggressive helical= very bad

My real world testing: 2” razor feathers
                    1. I’ve never shot an arrow this quite... ever
                    2. Gained about 3 FPS over blazers.... and maintained impact point TO 40 and CLOSED gap at 60
                    3. Shooting as much full helical as I can with 1 1/4” fixed 4 blades will destroy fletching at 60 yards

Quieter- check
                    Accurate- seems to be AS GOOD....P.....ossssioi...le better?
                    Foc impact on my setup.... hair over 2% increase alone
                    Next I will replace the weight I lost and stick it up front and see how good/ bad that flys

I’m no FOC cult follower, but given the choices (if they shoot good) of 382g @ 9.81foc vs 390g @ 14%ish I’ll have a piece of cake and eat it too. I’m after broadhead flight perfection vs mass or any other current fad

Comment

Originally posted by Low Fence View Post
                      I’m tinkering the same way.... out of being board.

Had a bunch of gift cards from Christmas and nothing I needed.... so I bought a bunch of fletching “stuff” to test myself
                      What I’ve always heard
                      Feathers:
                      1. Loud
                      2. Fast... but slow down faster down range
                      3. Less performance at long distance/.. and with aggressive helical= very bad

My real world testing: 2” razor feathers
                      1. I’ve never shot an arrow this quite... ever
                      2. Gained about 3 FPS over blazers.... and maintained impact point TO 40 and CLOSED gap at 60
                      3. Shooting as much full helical as I can with 1 1/4” fixed 4 blades will destroy fletching at 60 yards

Quieter- check
                      Accurate- seems to be AS GOOD....P.....ossssioi...le better?
                      Foc impact on my setup.... hair over 2% increase alone
                      Next I will replace the weight I lost and stick it up front and see how good/ bad that flys

I’m no FOC cult follower, but given the choices (if they shoot good) of 382g @ 9.81foc vs 390g @ 14%ish I’ll have a piece of cake and eat it too. I’m after broadhead flight perfection vs mass or any other current fad
                      I am seeing very similar results, and am putting as much helical as I can as well.

I'm shooting 625 total arrow weight, with 325 up front. I have an FOC of about 25%, and let me tell you, these things fly like darts. I have tuned my bow, Mathews Vertix, tediously. After tuning, I'm shooting single bevel 2 blades, and my broadheads have field point accuracy, with no need to broadhead tune.

If your bow is tuned properly, you're broadheads will shoot perfectly.

By the way, my broadheds are not indexed, i screw them in and the land where they land. No planing. Perfect flight out of a properly tuned bow

Comment

I shoot a Halon 6 at 27.5" DL and 60#'s as well. I think you may be overspined at 27.5" with the 340's. I shoot the GT Pierce Pro and they have served me very well over the past year and half. I was concerned about the outserts on them but they have proven to be excellent. My FOC is running around 14% with a wrap and blazer vanes. I saw a post about feathers being quiet but that has not been my experience, they are not quiet. Also on the arrows I have used GT Velocity and they have been great as well. No issues at all and all the GT I have used have been very, very tough.
                        Gary
                        Snyder, TX

Comment

Originally posted by glpoe1 View Post
                          I shoot a Halon 6 at 27.5" DL and 60#'s as well. I think you may be overspined at 27.5" with the 340's. I shoot the GT Pierce Pro and they have served me very well over the past year and half. I was concerned about the outserts on them but they have proven to be excellent. My FOC is running around 14% with a wrap and blazer vanes. I saw a post about feathers being quiet but that has not been my experience, they are not quiet. Also on the arrows I have used GT Velocity and they have been great as well. No issues at all and all the GT I have used have been very, very tough.
                          Gary
                          Snyder, TX
                          He could go 400’s... but 340’s will give him more options

“Overspined” in modern compounds is a myth from anything I’ve ever seen

Comment

Originally posted by Low Fence View Post
                            He could go 400’s... but 340’s will give him more options

“Overspined” in modern compounds is a myth from anything I’ve ever seen
                            This is what I have been seeing and why I was going with 340s. I Would be at the upper edge of the 400 chart and I was thinking slightly over spine would be better than potentially slightly under. The Easton chart shows a 27 inch arrow to need 400 but a 28 inch to need 340

Comment

Working...
                            X