No announcement yet.

"OFFICIAL" Granger Hog Hunting Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

been out 2 evenings in a row. Nothing but whitetails and one awesome huge red tail hawk that has a specific pattern and time he shows up. Gonna try one more for 3 in a row hoping they are learning my feed patterns. Some walking and some sitting at the bait. (corn, potatoes and some starwberry soaked pears I had in abundance and froze.) Gobbling up the feed but at night of course. Persistance!!! At least the cows apprear to have been moved from where I like to go.

Comment

How'd the ranger new year hunt go? Been hoping to see pictures or reports. Did y'all leave any hogs for the rest of us?

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Deaf View Post
        How'd the ranger new year hunt go? Been hoping to see pictures or reports. Did y'all leave any hogs for the rest of us?

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk
        Yeah that's what I want to know...

Comment

Well no concern about me Not leaving any. Just be careful some of those worn trails are from me, not hogs. I started to say wildlife ref. trails, but changed it to hogs as I likely qualify as smelly wildlife. I am not a Ranger but enjoy the company as an old man visitor on the sites. 3 longish evenings hard hunted and lots of bait and good Fresh sign. Zilch. And I do know a tiny bit. My spots have a lot of activity. Just when I leave.

Comment

Anybody in here rebuild transmissions? I have a TH400 3spd I need rebuilt. I'll supply the rebuild kit.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Comment

I believe your wasting time and energy with feeding...... walk and stalk is where the money is.... they will hardly ever hit bait during day hours... your better hunting the weather than using feed

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by cgcaples12 View Post
                Welcome sir. Glad to see more are getting into the sport and joining us at Granger. You just need a hunting license, annual public land license, and hunter orange to hunt out here. Deer are drawn and pigs you can hunt year round just not at night. There is no such thing as hog tags just fyi and a good place to start is around gate 7. If you have a way to get there hunting around the primitive camp is great too which is across the river from gate 7 and down a ways. Evenings are best imo. Good luck!
                Thank for the warm welcome, I have all my licenses just no bow and never hunted for hogs lol so trying to learn from hear and maybe tag along with some of yall and learn first hand other then youtube

Comment

A question I had how do you y'all harvest the meat? Like you drag that ***** out of clean where it goes down? I really want to get a bow soon and start trying this hog hunting out.

Comment

"OFFICIAL" Granger Hog Hunting Thread

Originally posted by NeKro View Post
                    A question I had how do you y'all harvest the meat? Like you drag that ***** out of clean where it goes down? I really want to get a bow soon and start trying this hog hunting out.

Get your bow first and practice. Hogs are a tough first target as allot of times you have a split second to draw aim and fire. If you want a workout tagging along is fine, but you’ll be doing allot of walking. Some people use game carts, or drag, but most bring trash bags and field dress and process (straps, hams, shoulders) in the field. The guts, bones, hide, and head weigh a ton.
                    Last edited by HogStalker; 01-09-2020, 06:43 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rojobeard View Post
                      I believe your wasting time and energy with feeding...... walk and stalk is where the money is.... they will hardly ever hit bait during day hours... your better hunting the weather than using feed

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
                      Thanks. I agree. Private property with timed feeders, hogs often came when feeders went off even in daylight. Public hunting has been a learning curve. I need a compound for hours at a time walking as my crossbow is so awkward (and heavy). I went to crossbow due to a shoulder accident but I may be healed enough to draw and hold to be a worthy shot again? Fixing to find out.

Comment

Originally posted by l.valle41 View Post
                        I headed to Granger Lake for the first time last weekend. Didn't see anything besides cows but the weather was amazing. Just out of curiosity, how are you guys hunting out there? Posting up in a natural blind or spot and stalk?
                        Feed will work eventually if you are consistent (at baiting) and patient. The trick is getting them to hit it consistently and then using the spot and stalk method. Back in the day I baited quite a bit and I never shot one that was on the bait, but they will start to lay up around the bait during the day; best bet is to spot and stalk into the wind and catch them bedded up around the bait.

Originally posted by Deaf View Post
                        Killed a lot of Lonestar Reds, that's about it.

Like Adventure Boy said, butcher in the filed and carry it out that way; leave the carcass and the hide/head behind. If it's small enough you can drag it to the river and load on a boat or use game cart.

Comment

Helicopter kill score.

Comment

Originally posted by Speedgoat View Post
                            Helicopter kill score.

**** nice find

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Get a good pack, quarter it up, bag it up and pack it out!

Comment

Do you all recommend any brand for bows and arrows? Not looking to break the bank but also not trying to go super cheap. Would like to not have to upgrade for awhile. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                                X