Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 08-26-2019, 11:04 AM   #1
Anthonysince94
Four Point

Default Where are the deer?

I've been throwing corn all year more or less to keep deer activity on the property I hunt. I know it's hot and there is still plenty of forage for deer from the heavy spring rains this year but should I be worried about the lack of deer I'm seeing? Pigs are plenty thick and come through every evening but it's rare that I ever see a deer on the game cameras.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
Anthonysince94 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-26-2019, 11:05 AM   #2
Antlers86
Associate Sponsor

Hunt In: Jack/Coleman/Henderson

Put a dent in the pigs.
Antlers86 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-26-2019, 11:05 AM   #3
Take Dead Aim
Ten Point

My guess is pigs are keeping the deer away.
Take Dead Aim is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-26-2019, 11:09 AM   #4
muzzlebrake
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Sterling County

Move your cameras and put them in thick cover on trails. Throw a little chum corn down on those trails and you will see some deer. You will even get pics of deer you have never seen before. A good many deer never visit a feeder especially smart old bucks.
muzzlebrake is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-26-2019, 11:21 AM   #5
Anthonysince94
Four Point

I guess I should include last november we hung 5 feeders total on about 50 acres and that's when we got a whole bunch of pigs coming in. The idea was to give the deer reason to be on our property and not hang out at the neighbors. Should I pull a few feeders and kill pigs?

Old 08-26-2019, 11:21 AM   #6
yotethumper
Ten Point

Hunt In: Colorado County

Start shooting hogs, hogs will keep deer away from feeders.
yotethumper is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-26-2019, 11:22 AM   #7
SFAbowhunter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Choctaw Co. OK

Put a dent in the pigs.

My place in Oklahoma only has about 7-8 deer living on it, but come season time I'll have 10+ new bucks show up. I'd hand throw corn in some spots too. My feeders don't seem to get a lot of deer action until it gets cold.
SFAbowhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-26-2019, 11:26 AM   #8
Anthonysince94
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by muzzlebrake View Post
Move your cameras and put them in thick cover on trails. Throw a little chum corn down on those trails and you will see some deer. You will even get pics of deer you have never seen before. A good many deer never visit a feeder especially smart old bucks.
So should I plan on hunting this thick cover places and leave my feeders more as a sanctuary feed spot?

Old 08-26-2019, 11:27 AM   #9
roughneck266
Eight Point

Hunt In: Bustling metropolis of Votaw

As mentioned above. If there are pigs hitting your feeders, you are going to have to at least make them nervous. Deer are still going to hit green stuff alot more than corn, alot more nutrition in that green stuff. When that starts dying off you will see more.
roughneck266 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-26-2019, 11:32 AM   #10
EastTexasMan
Pope & Young

Hunt In: East Texas - Pop Up blind & Old Mexico

You're putting out a lot of feed for 50 acres so the pigs are just making their rounds....

What we do is we hand corn all our setups, then leave 1 feeder in the bottom for a community pig stand. See many more deer on the hand corn then you will the feeder
EastTexasMan is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-26-2019, 11:32 AM   #11
Anthonysince94
Four Point

The amount of pigs that are coming through kinda make me nervous about deer season. Is there still time to push the hogs off a bit and see more deer activity before season?

Old 08-26-2019, 11:37 AM   #12
Anthonysince94
Four Point

I appreciate then input from all of you. I'm more or less looking for some direction. My neighbors always kill good bucks overlooking a wide open pasture that borders our property. That's why we put up so many feeders was to hopefully keep the deer traffic on our side of the fence but it has been to no avail. Every season we see at least one or two shooter bucks. But another question I have is where do all the young bucks go? I know they dont typically establish a home range until the get a little older but it seems every year we have new bucks. Never any hold overs from the year before. Any ideas?

Old 08-26-2019, 11:38 AM   #13
yotethumper
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthonysince94 View Post
Is there still time to push the hogs off a bit and see more deer activity before season?
Yes. When I shoot hogs off a feeder that is predominantly frequented by one group of hogs I see more deer coming into that feeder within 48 hours.
Old 08-26-2019, 11:40 AM   #14
yotethumper
Ten Point

Quote:
Never any hold overs from the year before. Any ideas?
Deer change their pattern from the summer going into the fall. I have "resident summer bucks" and "resident fall bucks". I am able to hold lots of the summer bucks into archery season by feeding protein and fencing off protien/feeders with hog panel.
Old 08-26-2019, 11:43 AM   #15
Fargus
Ten Point

Hunt In: DeWitt

Where are you hunting? Did I miss it in the post? There's a pretty significant anthrax issue going on around Sutton and ValVerde counties. Not sure if that would hit the pigs, but deer numbers are suffering pretty good.

If not in the affected area, either kill the pigs or put up a feed pen. I finally got one up this off season and my deer numbers have dramatically increased.
Fargus is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-26-2019, 11:43 AM   #16
quarterback
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba

Maybe cut back to around 3 feeders and start wearing the pigs out. If you don't, all you will have is a pig lease. Maybe try hunting them at night right now since it is still so hot.
quarterback is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-26-2019, 11:48 AM   #17
Krivoman
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Ranch Owner, Lampasas County

Pic the 2 feeders you plan to hunt and put up feeder pens. Let the pigs go to the other feeders. Deer will come to the penned feeders. Why would a deer even try to go to a feeder if pigs run in everytime. Deer are not gonna try to feed with a group of pigs..
Krivoman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-26-2019, 11:48 AM   #18
Spartan22
Four Point

Hunt In: All Over

Several times the pigs have ran out deer off. But also, with all the rain we got this year it has made for the green to be choice of a meal before corn.
Spartan22 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-26-2019, 11:49 AM   #19
Anthonysince94
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fargus View Post
Where are you hunting? Did I miss it in the post? There's a pretty significant anthrax issue going on around Sutton and ValVerde counties. Not sure if that would hit the pigs, but deer numbers are suffering pretty good.

If not in the affected area, either kill the pigs or put up a feed pen. I finally got one up this off season and my deer numbers have dramatically increased.
I'm hunting in rains county so no anthrax worries.

Old 08-26-2019, 11:55 AM   #20
dgilbert
Ten Point

Hunt In: Coke Co

You need to cut about 4 feeders, concentrate on get rid of some hogs, invest in a trap. As long as you got a hog lease you can forget about a deer lease.
dgilbert is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-26-2019, 12:03 PM   #21
axisbuck
Ten Point

Hunt In: Lampasas

Spot#1: Put hog panels on your best feeder and spot.
Spot#2: Leave this one feeder only for hogs.
Spot#3: handcorn a bag w wind and thick stuff to ur advantage
Cut the other 3 feeders off.
Put some pressure on pigs
axisbuck is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-26-2019, 12:05 PM   #22
RiverRat1
Pope & Young

Quote:
I've been throwing corn all year more or less to keep deer activity on the property I hunt. I know it's hot and there is still plenty of forage for deer from the heavy spring rains this year but should I be worried about the lack of deer I'm seeing? Pigs are plenty thick and come through every evening but it's rare that I ever see a deer on the game cameras.

1. Yes it's easy to knock the pigs back. If you live along a river or travel route they just come back faster (new pigs). Just have some fun and hunt them. If you need help there are plenty of guys with night vision that would hunt with you I'm sure.

2. Pigs don't scare away deer as much as people think. Sure when there's plenty of green the deer will not fight over corn or compete with the pigs.

3. Yes, I'd be worried this late that your not seeing any deer.

4. Be careful with a feed pen. My deer absolutely hated jumping the cattle panels because the pen wasn't big enough. So make a big pen. FYI - Protein brings in the deer more than corn at my place. Maybe try a couple goat/sheep blocks also.

5. Nothing wrong with that many feeders although it is a lot. Just be sure and turn down the ones you don't plan to hunt very low. You don't want the deer hanging out at the other stands all day while you're in another one.
RiverRat1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-26-2019, 12:10 PM   #23
Lynn21
Ten Point

Hunt In: Childress, Tx

Yep - pigs ain’t good around the deer plus they wipe out your deer corn before the deer get there. Shoot em all.
Lynn21 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-26-2019, 12:16 PM   #24
Anthonysince94
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by axisbuck View Post
Spot#1: Put hog panels on your best feeder and spot.

Spot#2: Leave this one feeder only for hogs.

Spot#3: handcorn a bag w wind and thick stuff to ur advantage

Cut the other 3 feeders off.

Put some pressure on pigs
Is it too late to put up a pen if I'm planning on hunting bow season?

Old 08-26-2019, 12:17 PM   #25
Drycreek3189
Pope & Young

My two cents.

Two feeders are plenty on 50 acres. I don’t know how many folks are planning to hunt, but two at a time is plenty, and more than I would want. Pen your feeders with at least 8 hog panels and as many more as you can afford. Kill every frickin pig you can, even while deer hunting. Target the sows, but don’t pass a boar. This is what has worked for me.
Drycreek3189 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-26-2019, 12:18 PM   #26
Drycreek3189
Pope & Young

Quote:
Is it too late to put up a pen if I'm planning on hunting bow season?

No, but the sooner the better. Mine got used to them in a couple weeks, sooner on one place.
Drycreek3189 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-26-2019, 12:21 PM   #27
sharpstick35
Eight Point

Hunt In: rocksprings tx

I've got 3 feeders on 40 acres. there are plenty of pigs but I have way more deer.
1. fence off a large area for feeding, I have 16 16ft cattle panels with 2 of them cut short to funnel their access. I have a timed corn feeder, free choice protein, a mineral block, alfalfa and water in the pen. the pen is roughly in the center of the property.
2. I have the other 2 corn feeders on opposite corners of the property. one set for roughly dusk and dawn and the other for 10 am/pm. those 2 are where the pigs are.

I also have a drop gate on the pen so I can catch whole sounders at a time when the pigs get too thick.

3. if I'm hunting for meat ill hunt the feeders, if I'm hunting for horns ill hunt the trails in between.
sharpstick35 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-26-2019, 12:24 PM   #28
AntlerCollector
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Votaw, Hardin/Polk Co., TX. Bon Weir, Newton Co., El Dorado, Schleicher Co., TX.

I gonna go out on a limb and say the pigs are your problem. I don't think it's been mentioned yet.

AntlerCollector is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-26-2019, 12:30 PM   #29
Anthonysince94
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntlerCollector View Post
I gonna go out on a limb and say the pigs are your problem. I don't think it's been mentioned yet.

I appreciate your input. Any suggestions??

Old 08-26-2019, 12:35 PM   #30
AntlerCollector
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Votaw, Hardin/Polk Co., TX. Bon Weir, Newton Co., El Dorado, Schleicher Co., TX.

Quote:
I appreciate your input. Any suggestions??

Tannerite?
Old 08-26-2019, 01:04 PM   #31
SETXHUNT0902
Four Point

Hunt In: SETX, Fredericksburg

Its amazing how quickly the deer will disappear when the hogs find the feeders. I started running my feeders roughly a month ago and within days i was getting deer pics regularly through my cell cam. About 2 weeks in the pigs found it and were there within minutes of the feeder going off AM and PM. I had pics of the deer in the background wanting to come in and feed but couldnt. Snuck out there one afternoon and put a couple pigs on the ground. Within 2 days the deer were back. That lasted about a week and the pigs moved in again. So here i am going to repeat the process again here shortly lol
SETXHUNT0902 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-26-2019, 01:21 PM   #32
Anthonysince94
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SETXHUNT0902 View Post
Its amazing how quickly the deer will disappear when the hogs find the feeders. I started running my feeders roughly a month ago and within days i was getting deer pics regularly through my cell cam. About 2 weeks in the pigs found it and were there within minutes of the feeder going off AM and PM. I had pics of the deer in the background wanting to come in and feed but couldnt. Snuck out there one afternoon and put a couple pigs on the ground. Within 2 days the deer were back. That lasted about a week and the pigs moved in again. So here i am going to repeat the process again here shortly lol
Its sound like my season will consist of this if I wanna see deer regularly.

Old 08-26-2019, 01:49 PM   #33
Burntorange Bowhunter
Pope & Young

My place in San Saba the deer and hogs eat together. Lol.

I don't think pigs are your problem. You have 5 feeders. No way pigs are at every feeder as soon as they go off.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
Burntorange Bowhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-26-2019, 01:53 PM   #34
SETXHUNT0902
Four Point

Hunt In: SETX, Fredericksburg

Quote:
Its sound like my season will consist of this if I wanna see deer regularly.

It sucks but gotta be done. Also ill say that ive noticed typically closer to season when other hunters start feeding, entering the woods, and acorns start dropping i will notice a drop in pig activity.
SETXHUNT0902 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-26-2019, 02:07 PM   #35
SaltwaterSlick
Pope & Young

Since you apparently own this land, I'd fence off several acres (or all of it) with a hog wire fence to keep the hogs out. This is the best thing you can do for hog control. The deer will jump a hog wire fence with no problem. The bigger area you have fenced off, the more comfortable the deer will be when they are inside the area... Another thought is that if your neighbors are killing good deer regularly, it is possible your property is a travel corridor and/or bedding area. If this is the case, those feeders will only mess that up and move the deer OFF your property rather than attract them. You need to identify that first of all... Assuming you continue feeding, make it so that you are only feeding the animals you want to... hog-proof the area where you want deer...
SaltwaterSlick is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-26-2019, 02:08 PM   #36
Anthonysince94
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burntorange Bowhunter View Post
My place in San Saba the deer and hogs eat together. Lol.

I don't think pigs are your problem. You have 5 feeders. No way pigs are at every feeder as soon as they go off.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
I typically have group of pigs that come through at 7 in the morning and 7:30 ish at night. They dont hit every feeder but they do hit at least two. Sometimes three. But besides the one group that is my typical pig population for a day. All other hours of the day I dont get any kind of pictures of wildlife at all.

Old 08-26-2019, 02:10 PM   #37
Anthonysince94
Four Point

This is the property.

Old 08-26-2019, 03:19 PM   #38
RiverRat1
Pope & Young

Quote:
I typically have group of pigs that come through at 7 in the morning and 7:30 ish at night. They dont hit every feeder but they do hit at least two. Sometimes three. But besides the one group that is my typical pig population for a day. All other hours of the day I dont get any kind of pictures of wildlife at all.

So the corn piles up?
RiverRat1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-26-2019, 03:21 PM   #39
flywise
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Blanco, Nacadoches,NewMexico,Colorado

So your wasting money feeding pigs. Good reason to not feed all year. The deer are there
flywise is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-26-2019, 03:31 PM   #40
Anthonysince94
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverRat1 View Post
So the corn piles up?
I throw 3 seconds twice a day. Middle of the day you will find a lot of corn on the ground. I do get allot of raccons and the occasional single boar that comes through middle of the night.

Old 08-26-2019, 05:59 PM   #41
Whampuscat2
Four Point

Hunt In: Mexico, Concho County, Walker County, Colorado County

Quote:

Try shaking the bag of corn real loudly, they should come a running.
Attached Images

Whampuscat2 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-26-2019, 06:14 PM   #42
Anthonysince94
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whampuscat2 View Post
Does the bag come with the deer in it or what?

Old 08-26-2019, 06:48 PM   #43
whopper1800
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whampuscat2 View Post

I know those deer !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
whopper1800 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-26-2019, 06:52 PM   #44
hardtner
Ten Point

Hunt In: Nacogdoches Co, NW OK, Unit 16 KS

Build a pen. I built several 16 panel pens that solved my similar issues. Can be done under $300 and your corn savings could pay for that quickly. My pens take me 1.5 hours to build. I’ve built 5 in the last year

Last edited by hardtner; 08-26-2019 at 06:58 PM.
hardtner is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-26-2019, 06:54 PM   #45
sbushee
Ten Point

Hunt In: The Outside

We’re covered up in deer down in Schliecher county
sbushee is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-26-2019, 07:50 PM   #46
AntlerCollector
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbushee View Post
We’re covered up in deer down in Schliecher county

Yep. I'll get 20 deer in my pen when the feeder goes off. . I wish we were allowed to take out a few more mouths per season.
Old 08-26-2019, 08:11 PM   #47
sharpstick35
Eight Point

Hunt In: rocksprings tx

Name:  feeder pen.jpg
Views: 186
Size:  91.8 KB

this set up has worked very well over the last 5 years
sharpstick35 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-26-2019, 08:21 PM   #48
Anthonysince94
Four Point

I've never built a feeder pen. Are we talking just t post and cattle panels wired up or move involved?

Old 08-26-2019, 09:00 PM   #49
SanSaba007
Ten Point

That’s it my man. Nothing to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SanSaba007 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-26-2019, 09:09 PM   #50
Anthonysince94
Four Point

I'll be out of town this next week for work but I'll be sure to post pictures for more critiquing on getting the right set up.