Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old Today, 12:05 PM   #1
RingSteel
Ten Point

Default Owner financing land?

I've received an offer to buy a tract of East Texas land that I'm open to selling, but only if I owner finance it. I've never owner financed anything before, but the title company says that it's common and easy/safe.

Other than having an attorney draw up the paperwork, and getting >10% down up front, what else is suggested to minimize my risk?

Are there any pitfalls to watch out for?
RingSteel is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old Today, 12:29 PM   #2
ShoootLow
Ten Point

Hunt In: Most of Texas

Watching, wish I could help.
ShoootLow is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old Today, 12:33 PM   #3
AntlerCollector
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Votaw, Hardin/Polk Co., TX. Bon Weir, Newton Co., El Dorado, Schleicher Co., TX.

One thing I would worry about is why can't they get their own financing? If they have 10% in cash and decent credit they should be able find a lender. If their credit is horrible then I wouldn't want to finance them anyway. Just my .02

Do you have this land posted for sale? What County?
AntlerCollector is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old Today, 12:33 PM   #4
TxAg
Pope & Young

If they were low risk, they could likely get more favorable terms from a bank. There must be a reason they want owner financing. Be cautious.
TxAg is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old Today, 12:37 PM   #5
sharpstick35
Eight Point

Hunt In: rocksprings tx

they are probably trying to get a better interest rate than what they qualify for. If you don't need the money for the land up front and you calculate the interest you will end up with more money in the end. And its nice to get that check in the mail every month. Also if they quit paying you can foreclose on them and get the land back.
sharpstick35 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old Today, 12:41 PM   #6
dstrong
Ten Point

Hunt In: Mexico

No risk... They can't pick the land up and take it. If they default on the loan you can foreclose on it. A lot of times owner finance requires or request 20% down...

anymore info on the land for sale?
dstrong is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old Today, 12:49 PM   #7
RingSteel
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by dstrong View Post
No risk... They can't pick the land up and take it. If they default on the loan you can foreclose on it. A lot of times owner finance requires or request 20% down...

anymore info on the land for sale?
This makes sense to me, but I wasn't sure that foreclosure was an easy process.
If they can give 20% down, I'd feel a lot better about it.

The land isn't listed for sale. It's 20 acres +/- in Jasper, recently cut.
Old Today, 01:04 PM   #8
Drycreek3189
Pope & Young

I sold my place in ETexas and I offered owner financing. My realtor handled the credit check, helped me with the restrictions, (he cannot sell any timber, gravel, clay, etc. without my permission) Of course I had my lawyer draw up the deed restrictions and payment schedule. My reason was the interest he’s gonna pay if it carries the full 15 years and the fact that in reality, it’s still mine until he pays it off.
Drycreek3189 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old Today, 01:15 PM   #9
TX03RUBI
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hall County

Yep. I wouldn’t ever rent to own a house, as the can destroy it and the value pretty easy. Raw land is pretty hard to devalue though. Finance it, and worst case scenario you get your land back. Best case scenario you make a pretty good chunk off the interest.
TX03RUBI is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old Today, 01:15 PM   #10
RingSteel
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
I sold my place in ETexas and I offered owner financing. My realtor handled the credit check, helped me with the restrictions, (he cannot sell any timber, gravel, clay, etc. without my permission) Of course I had my lawyer draw up the deed restrictions and payment schedule. My reason was the interest heís gonna pay if it carries the full 15 years and the fact that in reality, itís still mine until he pays it off.
Sounds like it worked out great for you.
Thanks for sharing.
Old Today, 01:25 PM   #11
Hunter Dan
Ten Point

Hunt In: Everywhere

I have a place for sale too and will not owner finance. My place is high fence, so a lot of the value is in the animals. They could pay me 10% then go sell or kill every animal on property and walk away with a bunch of money. I also have a nice house that they could ruin. If you don't have a high fence, or house on property I would consider it, I have done it on another deal without issue.
Hunter Dan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old Today, 01:25 PM   #12
deerwatcher51
Ten Point

Hunt In: Richland Springs & Washington on the Brazos

As long as there are no improvements on the property that could be destroyed, your risk should be minimal if any. I had a client several years ago that sold his house in Houston doing owner financing. The first few months the payments arrived like clockwork. After about six months the payments stopped and attempts to reach them by phone resulted in finding out that their phone had been disconnected. The client went to the property and if he had not shown me the pictures, I would not have believed it. The buyers stripped the house down to the studs. They took the carpet, paneling, electrical wiring, all the plumbing, they literally took everything including the kitchen sink.
deerwatcher51 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old Today, 01:32 PM   #13
MillsJake
Eight Point

Hunt In: Gillespie County, Kimble County

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntlerCollector View Post
One thing I would worry about is why can't they get their own financing? If they have 10% in cash and decent credit they should be able find a lender. If their credit is horrible then I wouldn't want to finance them anyway. Just my .02

Do you have this land posted for sale? What County?

When i looked at buying some land this year everyone i called on raw land loans required 20% down.... Maybe he doesnt have 20% for a loan through a lender but has 10%?

And i have great credit so that wasnt an issue
MillsJake is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old Today, 01:35 PM   #14
Dirtymike
Pope & Young

Hunt In: granger, victoria

Question

If it is owner financed will it show up in a credit check?

Maybe they do not want the debt to show on credit report? I really dont know just a thought why someone would want owner fi instead of bank. Owner is usually higher.
Dirtymike is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old Today, 01:37 PM   #15
Dirtymike
Pope & Young

Hunt In: granger, victoria

Quote:
Originally Posted by deerwatcher51 View Post
As long as there are no improvements on the property that could be destroyed, your risk should be minimal if any. I had a client several years ago that sold his house in Houston doing owner financing. The first few months the payments arrived like clockwork. After about six months the payments stopped and attempts to reach them by phone resulted in finding out that their phone had been disconnected. The client went to the property and if he had not shown me the pictures, I would not have believed it. The buyers stripped the house down to the studs. They took the carpet, paneling, electrical wiring, all the plumbing, they literally took everything including the kitchen sink.
That sounds more like insurance fraud to me. Used carpet sinks and toilets are dont go for high dollars.
Dirtymike is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old Today, 01:53 PM   #16
jlp04c
Eight Point

There are dozens of reasons why someone would want to owner finance and COULD not get a loan... Some of them are more legitimate than others.

Self Employed- Not enough time to show steady income (3 years i think?)
Overtime pay doesnt count toward Debt to income, only base pay (or something along those lines)
Paid in cash type jobs, i.e. i make 100k a year, but only have 30k in tax returns to prove it.
Previous financial troubles/debts....

As mentioned, if it's raw land, and everything else checks out, then it's probably a good deal for everyone involved.
jlp04c is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old Today, 02:15 PM   #17
chief262
Ten Point

Hunt In: Evant- In Camp

Make sure the property taxes are addressed.
chief262 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old Today, 02:32 PM   #18
Gary Roberson
Ten Point

Finance no more than 80% and require that they furnish current financial statement and tax returns for at least two years or verification of employment. They should also have credit references and names of loan officers that they deal with.
It is a fairly common practice but make sure that you have your attorney review the note and deed of trust. The preparation of these documents should be at the buyer's expense.
Adios,
Gary
Gary Roberson is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old Today, 02:35 PM   #19
TeamAmerica
Ten Point

Hunt In: Corsicana (Navarro County)

i would consider but demand a credit report, W2s, income tax returns (pretend you are the bank because you ARE the bank). depending on sales price, 10% down could easily get spent on lawyers if you need to foreclose. make them escrow property taxes with you.

what rate will you charge? i would take no less than 5% to tie up my money.
TeamAmerica is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old Today, 02:55 PM   #20
Razrbk89
Ten Point

Hunt In: Northern & Eastern Arkansas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
I sold my place in ETexas and I offered owner financing. My realtor handled the credit check, helped me with the restrictions, (he cannot sell any timber, gravel, clay, etc. without my permission) Of course I had my lawyer draw up the deed restrictions and payment schedule. My reason was the interest heís gonna pay if it carries the full 15 years and the fact that in reality, itís still mine until he pays it off.
You can come out ahead as the seller (& buyer) on owner finance deals.

Definitely make sure that your offer and acceptance letter is EXACT about any changes to the property, keeping in mind that itís still yours until that last payment is made (in most cases).

Had an episode where I was selling a place with plans to buy another farm adjacent to me. Terms were favorable, but after the first annual payment was due, things went south. They ended up cutting about 100 acres or hardwood off of me before I was tipped off. No bueno. Got the place back, but trying to recoup that value... letís just say you canít bleed a turnip.

Live and learn.
Razrbk89 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old Today, 02:58 PM   #21
deerwatcher51
Ten Point

Hunt In: Richland Springs & Washington on the Brazos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtymike View Post
That sounds more like insurance fraud to me. Used carpet sinks and toilets are dont go for high dollars.
The clients insurance would not pay him anything since he did not own the property. He thinks they took it all to Arkansas, where they probably lived like kings with their stolen booty....
deerwatcher51 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old Today, 03:03 PM   #22
Gilly
Nubbin' Buck

Hunt In: Duval, Frio County

I plan to buy some small acreage eventually and have been looking at prices and financing options just so i know what to save for and what to expect. Like some one mentioned above from what I've gathered most lenders expect a 20% down payment. Whereas, I've seen owner financing with a down payment as low as 5%. As a buyer, the owner financing option based on the down payment sounds more attracting and I also have excellent credit so I would have no issues providing a credit report, etc.

Forgot to mention, raw land or land with little improvements is what Ive been looking at based on my budget lol
Gilly is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old Today, 03:13 PM   #23
Johnny_Dodson
Four Point

The only risk you run is if they try to build their homestead on it. Then the loan becomes a mortgage and can get a bit more expensive when it is time to foreclose. But just have it in contract that they can put their personal homestead on it. They can build just not the house they call home. Just make it so if they want to do that they have to pay you off before they can start. Other than that it is a no brained if your not needing the cash. Itís the easiest 10% you can earn.
If they donít pay call your attorney and begin foreclosure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Johnny_Dodson is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old Today, 03:14 PM   #24
AntlerCollector
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Votaw, Hardin/Polk Co., TX. Bon Weir, Newton Co., El Dorado, Schleicher Co., TX.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillsJake View Post
When i looked at buying some land this year everyone i called on raw land loans required 20% down.... Maybe he doesnt have 20% for a loan through a lender but has 10%?

Yessir you are correct about the 20%.
Old Today, 03:41 PM   #25
JLivi1224
Ten Point

Hunt In: Public

Yessir, there would be a lot more landowners at 10%. Self included. Ah, hell, I got 4 kids under 8, two of which are twin toddler girls. Perhaps not.
JLivi1224 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old Today, 03:58 PM   #26
kparker158
Ten Point

Hunt In: Public and Private Lands of East Texas

You can always cash out/sell the note to someone else if you get to the point you’re needing a chunk of cash.

Investors buy land to owner finance it to people because it’s a lot easier to make money. That’s why there is so many buy here pay here car lots. You can sell a $8k car to someone owner financed for $16k because of notes. Same principle.
kparker158 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old Today, 04:00 PM   #27
Lone_Wolf
Ten Point

Hunt In: Bosque Hill McLennan Navarro Counties

So last year I got selected for Jury Duty. The case was about a couple who owner financed a piece of property from their Neighbor. The couple lived in a rent house property that gave them access to the property they were owner financing from their neighbor. They weren't completely honest with the neighbor, and told them that they owned the house, and not that they were renting it. Well the couple put down a large chunk as a down payment, and temporary fence was put up made out of cattle panels. They just guestimated were the property line would be based on the amount of acreage they were buying. Well the couple lost the lease on their home and the land that it was on, and basically lost the only easement they had to the property that they had owner financed from the guy. Now this owner financing was done basically by word of mouth, and a simple contract that was written down on a piece of paper and signed by both parties. When the couple lost there house and the only access they had to the land, they refused to make any more payments on the land, but already had a substantial sum invested in the property. Because they stopped payments, the original owner of the land locked the gate, and would not allow them access to the land. He did allow them one time access to come get all there stuff, but they fail to show up. They also had stacked literally tons of concrete median pieces, like the ones you see on a major interstate like I-35. It would require heavy equipment to have the concrete removed. The couple worked for a local silage company. The couple was suing for the the $$ they had already paid for the land, and they wanted they're fencing material back. The Jury ruled in favor of the land owner and the couple lost the money they had put into the land. It was a pretty big mess.
Lone_Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old Today, 04:01 PM   #28
Lone_Wolf
Ten Point

Hunt In: Bosque Hill McLennan Navarro Counties

I think this was a case, were it just wasn't done properly.
Lone_Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old Today, 04:17 PM   #29
Kossetx
Eight Point

I knew a man that OFed the same piece of land 3 times. Lots of folks have big plans but when the bottom falls out don't have a backup plan. Some of them paid him for years before they stopped.

Question is, can you make 7% owner financing?
Kossetx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old Today, 04:17 PM   #30
meltingfeather
Ten Point

Hunt In: Gillespie, San Saba & Kerr primarily

It can be low risk and banks generally won't lend money on raw land without a SUBSTANTIAL down payment. 10% would never fly.
As mentioned, get a decent contract and your risk can be low. You have to protect value on the land (structures, timber, wildlife, etc.) that they might be able to extract or damage-- very doable, just be aware and keep the balance in your favor.
meltingfeather is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old Today, 04:19 PM   #31
meltingfeather
Ten Point

Hunt In: Gillespie, San Saba & Kerr primarily

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone_Wolf View Post
It was a pretty big mess.
Folks generally have to lie in the beds they make...
meltingfeather is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old Today, 04:19 PM   #32
Burnadell
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Bee County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny_Dodson View Post
The only risk you run is if they try to build their homestead on it. Then the loan becomes a mortgage and can get a bit more expensive when it is time to foreclose. But just have it in contract that they can put their personal homestead on it. They can build just not the house they call home. Just make it so if they want to do that they have to pay you off before they can start. Other than that it is a no brained if your not needing the cash. It’s the easiest 10% you can earn.
If they don’t pay call your attorney and begin foreclosure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Say, WHAT??? It’s not a mortgage without a homestead on it?

Please explain the 2nd bolded sentence. I am confused. You are contradicting yourself.
Burnadell is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old Today, 04:58 PM   #33
RingSteel
Ten Point

It's just raw land, timber has already been harvested, and the only improvement is the road has been rocked in and a good creek crossing is built.
Old Today, 08:08 PM   #34
HOOKNBULLET2
Four Point

Hunt In: Blanco

I’ve done it several times. Still do whenever the opportunity arises.

I suggest getting a loan servicing company to collect the money and file the IRS paperwork. Makes it hassle free. The fees from the servicing company should be added to the monthly payment. Don’t forget to get an origination fee of a couple points to cover all the attorneys fees and others associated costs with getting it all set up.

Finally, I do all mine on a 30 year amortization with a 5 year ballon.
HOOKNBULLET2 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old Today, 08:36 PM   #35
Bear Charge
Eight Point

Hunt In: East Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillsJake View Post

This. I bought my land using a lender because I felt like that was more secure. I had to pay 20% down but didn't want to give the previous owner the ability to change terms or back out. I could have "purchased" more land putting 10% down but the risk was too high.
Bear Charge is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old Today, 08:38 PM   #36
M16
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Colorado, LaSalle, ,Menard Counties

I’m in the process of doing an owner financed ranch repo. Hope to sell it again to someone that can’t afford it.
M16 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old Today, 08:45 PM   #37
AntlerCollector
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by M16 View Post
Iím in the process of doing an owner financed ranch repo. Hope to sell it again to someone that canít afford it.

Wow.
Old Today, 09:00 PM   #38
Ride_Klein
Eight Point

Hunt In: Denton, Cooke

We sell a lot of land owner financed. Some go like the James McMurtry song and we take em back to do it all over again. Most go well. We get a lott of wealthy and/or self employed that dont want a conventional loan sitting on their account. Dont be afraid of it but do paper it up well.
Ride_Klein is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old Today, 09:11 PM   #39
M16
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Colorado, LaSalle, ,Menard Counties

U
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntlerCollector View Post
Wow.
Wow what? Is it my fault when a high roller crashes?
M16 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old Today, 09:12 PM   #40
bowhntrmatt
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Comstock, Runge

On raw land, I see very little risk. If you don’t need the cash up front, offer 8-12% interest depending on their credit score. Best case is they make the minimum payment for a long time and you sell for 2-3x the price. Worst case, you foreclose.
bowhntrmatt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old Today, 09:13 PM   #41
bowhntrmatt
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Comstock, Runge

Quote:
Originally Posted by M16 View Post
U

Wow what? Is it my fault when a high roller crashes?

Nothing wrong with cashing checks a few years and then taking back the land, after appreciation!
bowhntrmatt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old Today, 09:18 PM   #42
texansfan
Ten Point

Hunt In: South Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by RingSteel View Post
This makes sense to me, but I wasn't sure that foreclosure was an easy process.
If they can give 20% down, I'd feel a lot better about it.

The land isn't listed for sale. It's 20 acres +/- in Jasper, recently cut.
33.3% down
The rest payable in 120 monthly payments
15% interest rate

If they don't bite, then they can go to a bank for more favorable terms

Its a bear taking someone through the foreclosure process. Id advise against it
But I wouldnt advise against owner financing.
Just make sure it HIGHLY lucrative and favorable to you.

Also, be careful beacuse Dodd-Frank has a lot of laws about financing real estate you may not know about or be ready for.
texansfan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old Today, 09:20 PM   #43
texansfan
Ten Point

Hunt In: South Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by texansfan View Post
33.3% down
The rest payable in 120 monthly payments
15% interest rate

If they don't bite, then they can go to a bank for more favorable terms

Its a bear taking someone through the foreclosure process. Id advise against it
But I wouldnt advise against owner financing.
Just make sure it HIGHLY lucrative and favorable to you.

Also, be careful beacuse Dodd-Frank has a lot of laws about financing real estate you may not know about or be ready for.
Oh and use a 3rd party company for loan payments
Because when it comes time to forclose you'll need immaculate NON-payment records.
texansfan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top