Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I refuse to eat feral hog...change my mind?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I refuse to eat feral hog...change my mind?

Feral hogs are quite possibly the nastiest animal I have ever come in contact with. Granted, pets will eat their own feces...but I ain’t eating a pet or a hog. Cows are nasty, but they don’t eat other dead animals, they eat grass. Maybe i hate hog because of their diets. Can someone convince me to eat a hog? I kill them all the time, but I leave em for the yotes and other hogs. When I leave one, seems the vultures eat the entire hog in a couple of days.

Is wild hog as disgusting as I think it is? Is it just me?

They eat just fine and I’d imagine the majority will agree. However, they are pests. I kill them because they are destructive. No other reason. Sometimes I find them and clean them and sometimes I pick up my arrow and head to the truck.

Comment

Do you eat store bought pork?

Comment

I think it’s one of the best game meats out there.

Do you eat catfish? How about tilapia? Chickens?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Most animals are pretty nasty.
          I’ve eaten lots of pigs over last 20+ years. Ain’t dead yet.

Comment

I have killed many hogs, have not ate too many of them, I just do not want to fool with them, pork is plenty cheap.

Comment

Plenty of folks starving around the world that would love a nasty ole hog.

Most of us are lucky enough we don't have to eat them but if you gave one a try you probably wouldn't hate it.

Comment

I'll chop the straps out or grab a leg every now and then, but mostly we use our hog carcasses to support the local coyote and buzzard populations.

Some people just don't eat hogs, maybe you are one of them.

Comment

if you don't like them, don't eat them. Not a big deal to me if you don't eat them. some people are close minded and miss out on a lot of things.

Comment

I had the same state of mind. The ranch I grew up on had pigs out the wazoo and we just shot em and left em. Couple of guys I hunt with were dead set on eating them and wanted to make dinner so I gave em a recipe I use on normal pork for "carnitas" had them let em sit for 2 day then put em in the crock pot with green sauce etc and to my surprise it was actually good. just a touch of game flavor but not near what I expected

Comment

They're better than store bought pork in my opinion. They might eat some nasty stuff but it's not like it seeps into the meat. A lot of a stuff eats gross things but taste delicious. Snake,snapping turtle,fish,lobster,crab,bullfrog....They all eat nasty stuff but I have no problem eating them. Shoot a small hog that hasn't had enough time to eat a lot of gross stuff and throw that sucker on the grill.

Comment

Originally posted by ckamp52 View Post
                        I had the same state of mind. The ranch I grew up on had pigs out the wazoo and we just shot em and left em. Couple of guys I hunt with were dead set on eating them and wanted to make dinner so I gave em a recipe I use on normal pork for "carnitas" had them let em sit for 2 day then put em in the crock pot with green sauce etc and to my surprise it was actually good. just a touch of game flavor but not near what I expected
                        It’s amazing what a crock pot can do.

I’ve done pulled pork outta the loins and it turns out pretty good. That being said, I put a liberal amount of hot sauce on just about everything.

Comment

I would rather eat wild hog meat , than whitetail deer, you are missing out.

Comment

Boars are sometimes really stinky if they been breeding. Sows or gilts are very edible. Hard to beat wild pork tamales. Or pull the back straps and hams and throw them on the smoker.

Comment

I don’t eat them anymore after knowing a few people who got diseases from eating some. If you cook the meat to 170 degrees, it should kill any bacteria in the meat, but I don’t take the chance anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X