Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 09-24-2019, 08:58 AM   #1
Huntingfool
Eight Point

Default Thought this was very cool

This probably would not happen in today's world LOL
Attached Images

Huntingfool is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-24-2019, 09:01 AM   #2
TC
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hamilton County

Could you imagine if this happened today? Minds would literally EXPLODE.
TC is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-24-2019, 09:02 AM   #3
SHSU18
Eight Point

Hunt In: Brady, Tx

i wish my bus driver woulda done this lmao!
SHSU18 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-24-2019, 09:03 AM   #4
jlinville
Ten Point

Hunt In: Cherokee Co.

Id hate to see what would happen to someone for doing that in today's society.
jlinville is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-24-2019, 09:05 AM   #5
RiverRat1
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba

Quote:
Originally Posted by TC View Post
Could you imagine if this happened today? Minds would literally EXPLODE.
Headlines would go nuts about kids suffering PSTD and all sorts of crap. I'd like to see it happen
RiverRat1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-24-2019, 09:06 AM   #6
ultrastealth
Ten Point

Hunt In: Camp Wood, TX

That was a much better world.
ultrastealth is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-24-2019, 09:07 AM   #7
flywise
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Blanco, Nacadoches,NewMexico,Colorado

Sometimes I wish we would get back to a point where things like this are ok again
flywise is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-24-2019, 09:08 AM   #8
drogers6771
Four Point

Hunt In: behind the house & public

Me and my bus driver talked deer every single day on our drive out through the big woods, but this is a little different lol
drogers6771 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-24-2019, 09:09 AM   #9
drogers6771
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by flywise View Post
Sometimes I wish we would get back to a point where things like this are ok again
I hate that I missed these times.....heck, things were much better 10-20 yrs ago even....seemed like 2008 was a real turning point
Old 09-24-2019, 09:10 AM   #10
ultrastealth
Ten Point

Hunt In: Camp Wood, TX

My buddies and I used to leave guns in our trucks in the high school parking lot, so we could leave straight from there to go hunt. This was very common, and the school didn't give a rat's *** about it. Nobody ever shot up the school either.
ultrastealth is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-24-2019, 09:16 AM   #11
Jspradley
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wherever I can

Completely unacceptable and disgusting.

Heat from the engine will ruin the meat.
Jspradley is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-24-2019, 09:31 AM   #12
CabezaBlanca
Ten Point

Hunt In: Colorado County

We used to get off the bus and run home, change and grab our guns. We'd head back to the bus stop and wait for the elementary kids to get dropped off. We'd get back on the bus with our guns, while there were still little kids on the bus! She'd take us to the edge of town and drop us off. Those were the good ol' days for sure!
CabezaBlanca is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-24-2019, 10:23 AM   #13
sasqy
Ten Point

Hunt In: my sasquatch suit

Man those were the good ol days !
People would have a stroke these days if they saw this.
sasqy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-24-2019, 10:42 AM   #14
HotRod Hunter
Ten Point

Hunt In: Public Land and have a lease in Huntsville thats only good for riding four wheelers and camping

I always love looking at that picture . I think it’s awesome. I would of thought I had the coolest bus driver.
It’s very sad but in today’s Snow Flake world there would be outrage The bus driver would be looking for a new job after he got out of jail. And he would have to pay for all the students mental health issues. Then the school district would be sued as well. It’s just sad and scary the world we live in today.

Last edited by HotRod Hunter; 09-24-2019 at 10:45 AM.
HotRod Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-24-2019, 10:50 AM   #15
TxSon1836
Eight Point

Hunt In: Oklahoma- Public

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultrastealth View Post
My buddies and I used to leave guns in our trucks in the high school parking lot, so we could leave straight from there to go hunt. This was very common, and the school didn't give a rat's *** about it. Nobody ever shot up the school either.
had a guy get busted when i was a Sr in HS (2012) drug dogs alerted to his car and they found his 12ga in the back because he was heading to duck hunt for the weekend. they took his gun and threatened to arrest him. he was handcuffed in the resource officers office for a few hours. gun ws never returned to him.
TxSon1836 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-24-2019, 10:51 AM   #16
Hoggslayer
Pope & Young

Hunt In: My Truck at night.

Sad those days are long gone.
Hoggslayer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-24-2019, 10:56 AM   #17
TMC50
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Whereever I can

I think about this everyday driving my bus and really thought about it last year when I saw a monster every morning. One morning I stopped the bus so he could cross.
TMC50 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-24-2019, 11:27 AM   #18
Jspradley
Ten Point

I'm genuinely curious what of that time period people would want back?

There seemed to be a bit more mental toughness among people "back in the day", which is good or at the least we were better at hiding the problems we had or pretending like they don't exist but other than that by every objective measure (economically, violent crime and a bajillion other social issues) of society we are way better off now than we were back then.

I do understand the nostalgia of only remembering the cool aspects of when you were a kid, I obviously don't remember all the crappy aspects of the 80s so it would be easy to think of them as the "good days" but the world is, aside from a few aspects, a much better place for more people than it was at any other time.

I guess I was never big on nostalgia because I've already recognized it for the illusion that it is...
Old 09-24-2019, 11:36 AM   #19
sailor
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Texas

Congrats on the deer...…. lol...…………
Lost times, for sure...……
But, I can't think of a worse place, to carry a deer...…..
sailor is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-24-2019, 11:38 AM   #20
Aggiehunter08
Pope & Young

Hunt In: The World

Awesome!
Aggiehunter08 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-24-2019, 11:40 AM   #21
SaltwaterSlick
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jspradley View Post

There seemed to be a bit more mental toughness among people "back in the day", which is good or at the least we were better at hiding the problems we had or pretending like they don't exist but other than that by every objective measure (economically, violent crime and a bajillion other social issues) of society we are way better off now than we were back then.

I do understand the nostalgia of only remembering the cool aspects of when you were a kid, I obviously don't remember all the crappy aspects of the 80s so it would be easy to think of them as the "good days" but the world is, aside from a few aspects, a much better place for more people than it was at any other time.

I guess I was never big on nostalgia because I've already recognized it for the illusion that it is...

I ain't gonna argue with you about it, but I can say for me personally, you definition of "better" is sure different than mine and my recollection of my past in the 60's and 70's... Good and bad, I'd go back there in a heartbeat.
SaltwaterSlick is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-24-2019, 11:43 AM   #22
Graysonhogs
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Fannin/Grayson/Erath

Quote:

Those "few aspects" is a massive minimalization. Huge. I'll respectfully disagree. Maybe I'm not woke enough.
Graysonhogs is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-24-2019, 11:54 AM   #23
Bud
Six Point

Things really were better then. We didn't fear each other like we do today. We trusted each other. We had less money but we didn't want as much as we seem to now. We were content with a decent job and a happy family. We were happy with the six point buck and didn't need the 140". I'm afraid for the path we are going down and how we are setting our kids up for failure. Life is real, not a facebook post. I think more people are worried about other peoples perception than the real thing. I hope I am wrong, but fear I am not.
Bud is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-24-2019, 11:55 AM   #24
Radar
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Pandora

Quote:
Originally Posted by flywise View Post
Yes sir.

Them days is long gone.
Radar is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-24-2019, 12:23 PM   #25
Jspradley
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud View Post
Things really were better then. We didn't fear each other like we do today. We trusted each other. We had less money but we didn't want as much as we seem to now. We were content with a decent job and a happy family. We were happy with the six point buck and didn't need the 140". I'm afraid for the path we are going down and how we are setting our kids up for failure. Life is real, not a facebook post. I think more people are worried about other peoples perception than the real thing. I hope I am wrong, but fear I am not.
I think you have some very valid points, especially on the trust issues and our culture of always wanting more and keeping up with the Joneses (which actually started WAY before any of us were born).

It's also very easy to look at the past with rose colored glasses, for example I grew up in the 1988 "Murder Capital of America" (currently the 4th poorest city in the nation, ranked the worst small town to live in in the nation last year) during the biggest violent crime spike the country has seen since the low point in the 1960s.

I remember that time as being "the good ol days" when when life was just plain peachy, everyone got along better and everything was better, except for The Devil being EVERYWHERE and trying to kidnap and everyone's babies of course..... It feels that way and that's how I remember it but I know it just ain't true.

We do have some pretty big cultural problems today but objectively, we are way better off now than at any other time and despite the problems it's easier than it has ever been to ignore them, go your own way and do your own thing.

And as far as hunting goes, we are absolutely living in the good ol days right now! Private land permissions issues aside, It's never been more accessible to go out and have the hunt of your dreams, just don't drive around town with a deer on your car.. it's really bad for the meat.
Old 09-24-2019, 12:28 PM   #26
Dakota7493
Ten Point

Hunt In: Erath County

About 10 years ago or so, I had blood in the bed of my truck from the deer I had taken the weekend before. A colleague walking by my truck had seen it and reported it to my boss. I was asked to wash it out before returning to work the next day.
Dakota7493 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-24-2019, 12:37 PM   #27
Rj Flores
Four Point

Hunt In: Starr

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlinville View Post
Agree. We probably would be helping that bus driver load that deer
Rj Flores is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-24-2019, 12:40 PM   #28
ace340cs
Ten Point

Hunt In: Use to in Mexico, South Texas

wow!! nice!!!
ace340cs is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-24-2019, 12:42 PM   #29
Hoggslayer
Pope & Young

Hunt In: My Truck at night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlinville View Post
If we could get WebsterTroy a bus driving job we might could see this again.
Hoggslayer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-24-2019, 12:54 PM   #30
drogers6771
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graysonhogs View Post
Those "few aspects" is a massive minimalization. Huge. I'll respectfully disagree. Maybe I'm not woke enough.
Yeah kinda seems to be the issue. I'd trade cell phones, the green screen, political correctness, and everything in between for times to be like they once were
Old 09-24-2019, 12:56 PM   #31
jbhlsu
Six Point

Hunt In: Buffalo, Ozona

That's whip ars...
jbhlsu is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-24-2019, 01:09 PM   #32
Jspradley
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by drogers6771 View Post
Yeah kinda seems to be the issue. I'd trade cell phones, the green screen, political correctness, and everything in between for times to be like they once were
Cool thing is, you can have all that for yourself, just do it!
Old 09-24-2019, 01:22 PM   #33
gonehuntin68
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Victoria county

Quote:
I think you have some very valid points, especially on the trust issues and our culture of always wanting more and keeping up with the Joneses (which actually started WAY before any of us were born).

It's also very easy to look at the past with rose colored glasses, for example I grew up in the 1988 "Murder Capital of America" (currently the 4th poorest city in the nation, ranked the worst small town to live in in the nation last year) during the biggest violent crime spike the country has seen since the low point in the 1960s.

I remember that time as being "the good ol days" when when life was just plain peachy, everyone got along better and everything was better, except for The Devil being EVERYWHERE and trying to kidnap and everyone's babies of course..... It feels that way and that's how I remember it but I know it just ain't true.

We do have some pretty big cultural problems today but objectively, we are way better off now than at any other time and despite the problems it's easier than it has ever been to ignore them, go your own way and do your own thing.

And as far as hunting goes, we are absolutely living in the good ol days right now! Private land permissions issues aside, It's never been more accessible to go out and have the hunt of your dreams, just don't drive around town with a deer on your car.. it's really bad for the meat.
You can post all you want about how you think today is better but your never going to change the minds of us who lived back then and think it was better back then.
gonehuntin68 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-24-2019, 01:32 PM   #34
tdwinklr
Ten Point

Hunt In: N. Central and N. East TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
I ain't gonna argue with you about it, but I can say for me personally, you definition of "better" is sure different than mine and my recollection of my past in the 60's and 70's... Good and bad, I'd go back there in a heartbeat.
me too !!!
tdwinklr is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-24-2019, 01:45 PM   #35
louieagarcia
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Planet Earth

Check this out:
https://www.newspapers.com/clip/7572...e_springfield/

And a veteran of our armed forces. Salute!
louieagarcia is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-24-2019, 01:55 PM   #36
Jspradley
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonehuntin68 View Post
You can post all you want about how you think today is better but your never going to change the minds of us who lived back then and think it was better back then.
Of course not, nostalgia and perception are very powerful things, doesnt matter whether they are accurate or not.
Old 09-24-2019, 01:56 PM   #37
Mike D
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Haskell County, TX

Quote:

I guess my answer would be the 70s because thatís what I can relate to.

Economically I donít know if anyone is ďbetter offĒ today than back then. Itís a gradual progression. As income increases, so does cost of living and goods; or maybe vice-versa.

I just remember everyone getting along. I donít remember politics ruling the day or consuming everyone. Everyone seemed to just get along better. Neighbors actually talked and watched out for each other. Kids freely played pretty much wherever they wanted to without worry for the most part.

Of course as you stated we tend to remember the good more than the bad but I can say I long for the days I mentioned above. I feel like my kids missed out on so much that I feel made my childhood awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Mike D is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-24-2019, 02:01 PM   #38
Kingfisher789
Ten Point

Hunt In: Tivydale. Nix. Brownwood

Who says school buses don’t make good blinds!
Kingfisher789 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-24-2019, 02:55 PM   #39
Huntingfool
Eight Point

Quote:
Of course not, nostalgia and perception are very powerful things, doesnt matter whether they are accurate or not.
I grew up in the 50's and 60's. We did not lock car doors or our house. When I was younger (age 8 to 12) I could ride my bike across town to my Grandmas house which was a couple of miles. My parents nor I ever once worried about me getting hurt or kidnapped. We knew every neighbor on our block. Could carry a rifle in the back window of your truck with no problem or concern. Everybody was clear on what their sex was in order to go into the correct bathroom and did not have to worry about someone from the opposite sex using their bathroom.

I could go on and on - what I DO KNOW is this is not my "perception" - it was a reality.

Sure life now days is easier - order your food online and have someone bring it to your door. Push a button and your truck tail gate opens on its own. But IMO that does not make our lives necessarily better
Huntingfool is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-24-2019, 06:58 PM   #40
donpablo
Ten Point

Hunt In: Iraan, Culberson County & Public Land

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxSon1836 View Post
had a guy get busted when i was a Sr in HS (2012) drug dogs alerted to his car and they found his 12ga in the back because he was heading to duck hunt for the weekend. they took his gun and threatened to arrest him. he was handcuffed in the resource officers office for a few hours. gun ws never returned to him.
Was that pre-castle doctrine? The local police advised me that since the vehicle is an extension of your home it is perfectly legal to have a pistol in your vehicle (in a gun-free zone) as long as itís out of sight. Or maybe the fact that it was viewable without entering was the issue?
donpablo is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-24-2019, 07:24 PM   #41
TxSon1836
Eight Point

Hunt In: Oklahoma- Public

Quote:
Originally Posted by donpablo View Post
Was that pre-castle doctrine? The local police advised me that since the vehicle is an extension of your home it is perfectly legal to have a pistol in your vehicle (in a gun-free zone) as long as itís out of sight. Or maybe the fact that it was viewable without entering was the issue?

It was in his trunk not visible but until this year you weren't allowed to have any firearms in your car or person on public school property that got fixed 09/01/19

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TxSon1836 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-24-2019, 09:30 PM   #42
IkemanTX
Ten Point

Hunt In: Caddo

My only complaint with that is the heat from the engine would be hell on the meat quality. Aside from that, our modern world could handle a LOT more of this.

IkemanTX is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-24-2019, 09:50 PM   #43
Mike D
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Haskell County, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxSon1836 View Post
It was in his trunk not visible but until this year you weren't allowed to have any firearms in your car or person on public school property that got fixed 09/01/19

That was only for employees. If you have LTC you can walk all the way up to the door; just donít enter the premises.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Mike D is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-24-2019, 09:54 PM   #44
hpdrifter
Ten Point

Hunt In: anywhere I can

Quote:
Originally Posted by drogers6771 View Post
I hate that I missed these times.....heck, things were much better 10-20 yrs ago even....seemed like 2008 was a real turning point
2008....seemed like 1990 to me.
hpdrifter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-24-2019, 10:14 PM   #45
brokeno
Ten Point

Hunt In: Gonzales & Young Co and anywhere

Back in 71 our bus driver named Buck hit a doe with the bus. Stopped and I threw her in the back of the bus. Needless to say I was called into the office the next day and told don't do that again and that was it.
brokeno is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-25-2019, 07:47 AM   #46
Low Fence
Pope & Young

I graduated in 97 and during any hunting season I had my shotgun with an i in my unlocked truck. Never an issue. Usually waders in the back... or in my boat still attached.

Teachers would ask to borrow our knives back then..
Low Fence is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-25-2019, 09:33 AM   #47
talltexasshoote
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Kent and garza counties

My drivers ed teacher in high school would have us drive to the river and check his trot lines with him. We typically jump shot ducks on the way home. The principal was worried that someone would break into the trucks, so he had us store the cased shotguns in his office. We were excused from a week of school for corn harvest as well. None of these would be a possibility today.
talltexasshoote is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top