Tuna fish salad

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tuna fish salad

So I have the trimmings from an 83lb yellowfin tuna that we caught recently and was wondering if anyone had a good smoked tuna salad recipe? I intend to smoke the trimmings and turn it into tuna salad. Help me out here ya'll! I usually don't eat tuna salad because the crap in a can is something I refer to as cat bait. Can't eat it. I have had fresh tuna in tuna salad before and it was great. I just never have made it.

I've had a smoked tuna dip that had mayo, Dijon mustard, and capers that was dang good. I wish I had you problem.

Comment

in..................

Comment

I dont have a recipe but you should try canning some. It's easy and very good. You can add stuff before you can it but we like to do it just plain. Then I just add a little mayo and relish after its opened. Way different than store bought canned tuna!

Comment

Originally posted by Duckologist View Post
          So I have the trimmings from an 83lb yellowfin tuna that we caught recently and was wondering if anyone had a good smoked tuna salad recipe? I intend to smoke the trimmings and turn it into tuna salad. Help me out here ya'll! I usually don't eat tuna salad because the crap in a can is something I refer to as cat bait. Can't eat it. I have had fresh tuna in tuna salad before and it was great. I just never have made it.
          Its kinda tough to give you a recipe, not knowing exactly how much tuna you have. I can walk you through the steps though. I would recommend making a small batch and if its good you can make more. Write down what you put in.

1. Cook/smoke your tuna however you see fit. Needs to be cooked to 145 for food safety. Chill down to below 40. Break up into little pieces with your hand. make it look like the cat bait in a can. It will be dryer, they pack it in water.
          2. Add mayo in small quantities and stir it in until its creamy, but thick.
          3. Add a little dill relish. I like using Chow Chow instead. Don't add too much, you want to be able to taste the tuna, not mask it with pickle flavor.
          4. Add some fine diced celery, if you like it crunchy add more. Its your sammich, not mine.
          5. Season with Salt and Pepper. Add a little and taste, maybe add a little more if you think it needs it. I use Tony Chacheries.

This is Tuna Salad in a nut shell. You are going to have to eye ball everything and write down what you did. Thats how recipes are written. You could also google tuna fish salad and just sub your good fish for canned.

Comment

I like this.............

Comment

Originally posted by D'licious View Post
              Its kinda tough to give you a recipe, not knowing exactly how much tuna you have. I can walk you through the steps though. I would recommend making a small batch and if its good you can make more. Write down what you put in.

1. Cook/smoke your tuna however you see fit. Needs to be cooked to 145 for food safety. Chill down to below 40. Break up into little pieces with your hand. make it look like the cat bait in a can. It will be dryer, they pack it in water.
              2. Add mayo in small quantities and stir it in until its creamy, but thick.
              3. Add a little dill relish. I like using Chow Chow instead. Don't add too much, you want to be able to taste the tuna, not mask it with pickle flavor.
              4. Add some fine diced celery, if you like it crunchy add more. Its your sammich, not mine.
              5. Season with Salt and Pepper. Add a little and taste, maybe add a little more if you think it needs it. I use Tony Chacheries.

This is Tuna Salad in a nut shell. You are going to have to eye ball everything and write down what you did. Thats how recipes are written. You could also google tuna fish salad and just sub your good fish for canned.

Sounds great. Add 2 surrano peppers..........

Comment

Working...
              X