Golf Cart Power Option Overload

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Golf Cart Power Option Overload

Really happy with how the 36v cart turned out and posted about the build before but now it's time to upgrade the performance.

I'm weighing the pro's and cons of all my options against the costs and I have reached saturation with all the options available.

Goals:

1) Target budget 1,000-1,500 (I'm already in for about $3500 and can't justify spending that again on upgrades)
    2) An hour of use carrying two large adults and several sacks of corn
    3) Ability to carry that weight up and down a few moderate hills and through plowed ground.
    Basically looking for torque and range. Don't need more speed.
    Currently with my 4-5 year old FLA batteries it meets goals 2&3 but not for an hour.

Options:

1) 6 new 6v Trojan batteries
    2) 3 12v FLA batteries with maybe enough left for a controller upgrade
    3) 3 12v drop in Lithium batteries (not sure the budget will allow)
    4) Get some help and build a Lithium pack from 80% leaf cells or similar.
    5) Convert it to gas V-Twin Predator motor from HF Also a possible budget buster)
    6) Convert to gas 420cc predator (should fit the budget but will it be enough umph?)
    7) Sell it as-is and buy or trade for an old Sammy or Rodeo etc. and call it good. (4WD not a must have but preferred)

Other suggestions welcome.

So opinions are strong! I'm looking for help deciding and appreciate your input.

It wouldn't fit your budget, but I've been reading about some DIY projects involving conversions to used Nissan Leaf batteries. Google it for giggles.

Comment

Originally posted by Honker View Post
      It wouldn't fit your budget, but I've been reading about some DIY projects involving conversions to used Nissan Leaf batteries. Google it for giggles.
      Me too (option #4) I think it might fit the budget but just beyond my comfort zone without serious help

Comment

Ttt

Comment

Originally posted by Honker View Post
          I've used existing springs while adding older corvette air shocks ($80) with supplied air line kit on a Ezgo. Simple install and add more pressure depending on load.

Comment

Originally posted by Notaguide View Post
            I've used existing springs while adding older corvette air shocks ($80) with supplied air line kit on a Ezgo. Simple install and add more pressure depending on load.
            The suspension is ok. I'm needing to upgrade the power.

Comment

Go lithium, and maybe a plum quick motor upgrade. Can also push 48v to it. May need to upgrade to thicker cables and better solenoid.

Comment

I was entertaining this same option on my cart. Called the parts manager of the dealership where I purchased my cart and both he and the service manager talked me out of doing the 12v conversion. You will get less torque and amperage with the 12v batteries, which means less speed and performance. Plus they won't last as long (2-3 years in a golf cart). I did not ask about updating the controller. #3 is your best option if the budget will allow. Plus you'll save about 200 lbs. in weight with the lithium battery. It's the way I'm going with mine.

Comment

Bigbattery.com has 36v kit for $1,699 (36V GATR). They have 10% discount off of that. Comes with cables and on board charger. Seems like the best choice.

I picked up their BDGR 3 pack kit and am very pleased. It’s a completely different cart.

Comment

Originally posted by wes122984 View Post
                    Go lithium, and maybe a plum quick motor upgrade. Can also push 48v to it. May need to upgrade to thicker cables and better solenoid.
                    Sounds great but a total budget buster

Comment

Originally posted by Cartman View Post
                      Bigbattery.com has 36v kit for $1,699 (36V GATR). They have 10% discount off of that. Comes with cables and on board charger. Seems like the best choice.

I picked up their BDGR 3 pack kit and am very pleased. It’s a completely different cart.
                      Thanks I'll check into that in more detail

Comment

I have been mulling the golf cart purchase. Interested to see where this one ends up as I would like to diy a lot of it myself. I would think the trojan batteries should solve the problem. If those don't last longer than an hour then something else is broken right?

Comment

Art if you are still on the stock controller, cables and motor you will never see the best off road performance. They just aren’t designed for that in stock form.

At 5 years you are close to end of life on your batteries. For now you could upgrade the motor to a torque motor, upgrade the controller to a higher amp controller, upgrade your cables to #2AWG and then put a heavy duty fwd/rev switch and solenoid on it. You may be surprised at how much better it performs with your current batteries doing that.

If you don’t make those upgrades you will be wasting money on new batteries.

Make the upgrades I mentioned first, then next year get new batteries for it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Gunnyart View Post
                            Sounds great but a total budget buster
                            not at all if you know how to source / diy.

batteryhookup.com you can build your own lithium easily. get a bms, upgrade to 2 gauge cables. plum quick charges I think under $300 for them to upgrade your existing motor.

Comment

Decided to stretch the budget a bit and found a solution I think. Converting to 48v lithium for a tick over 2k supposedly will see 40% torque improvement.

Comment

Working...
                              X