Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Own land other than primary residence..?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Own land other than primary residence..?

So, the wife and I are wanting to purchase some acreage.. well, land around our area is outrageous and frankly not an option. $30-50k an acre isnt happening. We arent in a position to move, unfortunately.

We have explored the option of just buying a small parcel here (1-2ac) and purchasing a larger tract elsewhere, building a small cabin, and utilizing it as weekend getaway, etc..

Anyone else do this?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by hully1029; 11-05-2021, 02:00 AM.

We bought a small place 7 or so years ago that we have really enjoyed.. We hunt it and play in the river year round.. I actually have a thread going that I need to update.. My kimble county getaway project

Comment

We did this. Just closed on 11.75 acres. After selling our property in Kerr county I vowed never again to buy property without an exemption we went from $3,000.00 a year for 10 acres to a little over $100.00 yearly with an exemption. It’s the school taxes that kill you. Now we’re about 120 miles away compared to 250. If we can get back to College Station we’ll be 43 miles away. Exemptions are gold.

Comment

Originally posted by Mace View Post
        We bought a small place 7 or so years ago that we have really enjoyed.. We hunt it and play in the river year round.. I actually have a thread going that I need to update.. My kimble county getaway project
        Dude. Just read thru the entire thread.. THAT.IS.AWESOME.

All that on 10 acres?? You work it like it's much, much larger.

Comment

Originally posted by Hogmauler View Post
          We did this. Just closed on 11.75 acres. After selling our property in Kerr county I vowed never again to buy property without an exemption we went from $3,000.00 a year for 10 acres to a little over $100.00 yearly with an exemption. It’s the school taxes that kill you. Now we’re about 120 miles away compared to 250. If we can get back to College Station we’ll be 43 miles away. Exemptions are gold.
          Which exemption did you get? Congrats by the way!

Comment

The exemption is called an “open spaces exemption “ then you use it for ag or wildlife. Our property had the existing wildlife exemption on it. After closing I walked right over to the tax office and introduced myself and found out about the wildlife exemption. I’d been keeping my receipts of what I buy as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Hogmauler View Post
              The exemption is called an “open spaces exemption “ then you use it for ag or wildlife. Our property had the existing wildlife exemption on it. After closing I walked right over to the tax office and introduced myself and found out about the wildlife exemption. I’d been keeping my receipts of what I buy as well.
              Sincerely appreciate the info!

Comment

My wife and I did this in our younger years....20 acres 75 miles away. I had a stressful job and getting out to the property was my psychiatrist. The kids grew up going out there on the weekends and now one of them has that property.

Comment

Originally posted by Tbar View Post
                  My wife and I did this in our younger years....20 acres 75 miles away. I had a stressful job and getting out to the property was my psychiatrist. The kids grew up going out there on the weekends and now one of them has that property.
                  This is awesome. And hopefully your grandkids will grow up on it as well.

Comment

I'm wanting to do the same thing but it seems I'm searching for the holy grail. I doubt I'll find a place close enough with a good price. I love the property we're on but hunting on it is virtually impossible.

Comment

We bought a house in a neighborhood and bought a piece of property about 80 miles away.

I wouldn't mind having 5-10 acres to build a house on but would not sacrifice the other place to get it.

Comment

I got a chunk of cash waiting to do the same thing. But I have family land and alot of land to hunt now so no rush.

Comment

My wife and I had been looking around for a couple of years. Land prices where we live in Grayson Co. have gone crazy. Started looking further north in Oklahoma. Ended up closing on a 52 acre property outside of Clayton back in April of this year.

Comment

Originally posted by bugbee View Post
                            My wife and I had been looking around for a couple of years. Land prices where we live in Grayson Co. have gone crazy. Started looking further north in Oklahoma. Ended up closing on a 52 acre property outside of Clayton back in April of this year.
                            Congrats! I'm in grayson as well, unfortunately. Prices here are beyond astronomical.. they're downright offensive..

Comment

i did it. built a cabin on it and go every single weekend dang year all year long.

Comment

Working...
                              X