No announcement yet.

Step down from Tundra to Tacoma

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

my son bought a new Tacoma last year. TRD off road 4x4 and it was only getting 17mpg at best all stock. he put a 4" lift and 33" tires on it and it gets 15-16 mpg now. i towed my 21' bass boat with it a few weeks ago so he could use my truck to pull 3 tons of corn to the lease. it actually pulled really well at 70mph. but the bed space is definitely horrible...

Comment

I had a 2008 and 2012 Tundra. Both were great trucks but couldn’t pass a gas station.

I currently have a 3/4 ton Ram diesel and a 2020 Tacoma.

Keep your truck and buy a Corolla if your serious about saving money on fuel.
      Last edited by HOOKNBULLET2; 11-04-2021, 11:49 AM. Reason: Sp

Comment

If your driving 12k miles a year your probably only looking at saving a few hundred dollars a year. You could easily blow that in the transaction, floor mats, tool box, anything.

Comment

I have a 2009 Tacoma 4x4, 4 door, long bed. For where I’m at in life it’s perfect for me. I don’t have kids and I don’t pull trailers. In the future I will probably get a bigger truck but plan on keeping the Tacoma.

With the price of trucks right now it doesn’t make sense to down size to a Tacoma for gas. My brothers f150 gets better gas mileage. They’re good trucks for the right person.

The cool thing right now is rigging your Tacoma for “overland.” Big lift, racks, roof top tents, etc. I often wonder how many of those trucks have been off the pavement. I guess you can say the same about 90% of the off road vehicles today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I have no desire to have another vehicle in the driveway to move, register, inspect, and insure. I’m 66 and have a special needs son that I take care of. I take him to work, doctors appt etc. Everything y’all do for your children plus more since he doesn’t drive.
            Again, I don’t think gas will stop at $3.00 a gallon before this nightmare ends, if it does. This is the exact reason I post my questions on this site. There is such a wide variety of opinions and experiences that answer not only my questions but others as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Hogmauler View Post
              Y’all are assuming gas stops at $3.00 a gallon! And we purchased so property as well so mileage will increase.
              Even if it doubles to $6 you would only save $1200 a year and if it went to $6 AND you doubled your mileage to 24K a year you would save $2,400 so if you trade your truck in and add $20K it would take almost 10 years to pay that $20k back on fuel savings
              Last edited by Javelin; 11-04-2021, 01:35 PM.

Comment

We had a taco , great little truck , but very cramped with 2 people
                And they are expensive off the lot !! With lots of different dodads I never used
                I would much rather have a base line ram 4x4 with a penstar 6 or F150 base V-6
                $35000 vs $65000
                Nissan Frontier pro 4 is tiny but much more affordable $38,000 out the door and quad cab
                Last edited by S-3 Ranch; 11-04-2021, 01:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Javelin View Post
                  Even if it doubles to $6 you would only save $1200 a year and if it went to $6 AND you doubled your mileage to 24K a year you would save $2,400 so if you trade your truck in and add $20K it would take almost 10 years to pay that $20k back on fuel savings
                  If I live another 10 years brother. If the dealership is offering me 32,000 when we paid $36,000 for it in 2016 my wife’s resale my new more than this. It will not have near as many miles on it. Those miles were built up moving to Colorado and her driving 39 miles one way to work and moving back to Texas. Then she could sell the Sequoia if she wanted. I did tell y’all that $20,000 was for a 2022 V6, 389 horse Tundra not a Taco. And I think y’all talked me out of the Taco as well as the dealer.

Comment

If you want to pull any kind of small travel trailer you will regret getting a Taco. My 5.7 Tundra has no trouble with my 20 footer. My son has a taco and wishes he had a Tundra to pull his small travel trailer. We get about the same mileage on both. My Tundra is a beast compared to his taco. But it is a hungry beast.

Comment

I went from a full size to a 2019 TRD Offroad 4x4 Tacoma and it was a great little truck... for the right person. That person wasn't me. Gas mileage was at least 2mpg worse than my F150 with the 3.5L. It was extremely cramped as well and I'm only 5'11" 200lbs. It also just didn't have enough bed space during hunting season for me. Pulling my 14ft trailer with a Mule was a real struggle for it. I thought I could make it work but didn't keep it long. If I were considering a Tacoma sized truck I'd be looking hard at the newly designed Nissan Frontier Pro-4x. I saw one the other day and it looked sharp. It's probably cheaper than a Taco too.

Comment

I had a 2014 Tundra 2 wheel drive and I traded it in for a 2021 4x4 Tundra. My 2014 got 17 mpg and so far my 2021 4x4 Tundra get's 15 mpg. I love my Tundra the room on inside the cab and it tow's my 22 foot car trailer real well too.

Comment

Originally posted by Pirk View Post
                          I had a 2014 Tundra 2 wheel drive and I traded it in for a 2021 4x4 Tundra. My 2014 got 17 mpg and so far my 2021 4x4 Tundra get's 15 mpg. I love my Tundra the room on inside the cab and it tow's my 22 foot car trailer real well too.
                          I totally agree. I love the room in my tundra. That’s why we bought it. But it’s thirst cannot be satisfied!

Comment

Originally posted by Throwin Darts View Post
                            This right here. You don't drive enough to have it make sense buying a new "truck" to save on gas.

Good thing about the Tacoma is on nice days you can hang both elbows out the windows.

Thanks for the question OP, and some real good helpful info posted here by actual owners of both trucks.

Also some funny info: “Good thing about the Tacoma is on nice days you can hang both elbows out the windows.”

Comment

Originally posted by Hogmauler View Post
                              Ok. Just got back from the dealer. They offered me $32,000.00 for my 5.7, SR5, 4x4 with almost 67,000 miles on it. It’s a 2015.
                              The number one complaint for Taco owners is (key drum roll). Sardine can effect. Now straight from the dealers mouth an hour ago. “In 2024 the Taco will be redesigned for more cab room.
                              The 5.7 is going away and being replaced with a V6. You’ll have your choice of 5 different V6,s to chose from ranging in horse power from 389 hp up to 500hp and 20,000 lbs towing capacity.
                              He said for the SR5 package it would be my truck and 20 grand; however, I would be able to knock that number down with option reductions.
                              And to answer a previous question I probably drive 10-12,000 miles per year as a retiree.
                              20k lbs of towing out of a half ton?
                              You should probably find another dealer that knows his truck.

Comment

I had a Tacoma,and felt like I was sitting flat on the floor.Road noise was terrible,even with street tires.I loved both Tundra's I've had.

Comment

Working...
                                X