Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Texas Grown View Post
    This thing is looking great Michael!

(from someone who built, titled, and registered his fist boat; a wooden jon back in 1985)

Thank you

Comment

Originally posted by Duckologist View Post
      Lookin good

Thank you

Comment

I got the hatch channel routed and all surfaces to receive thickened epoxy has been primed with epoxy. After lunch I will install the deck and gunnels, let it dry, and flip!

Comment

I got the deck and gunnels epoxied in place. After it fully cures in a couple days I will route the inside gunnels with a flush cut guide bit followed by a round over. Then I will trim the outside to match the deck reveal and flip it!

Comment

Wow! You're moving right along.

Does the deck have glass on the underside?

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Bowyer View Post
              Wow! You're moving right along.

Does the deck have glass on the underside?

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
              The underside of the deck is epoxied only.

Michael

Comment

I rough routed the gunnels and will clean them up after we flip it and start on the hull tomorrow.

Comment

We got project Skipjack flipped! Now to start working on the hull when other projects and work allow.

Comment

Are you going to put any kind of flotation in the hull? I would also recommend drilling some holes in your framework and using pex along bottom or sides to run any wires through from the front to back/battery location.

Comment

DIY flats skiff

Originally posted by Hawkpuppy 1 View Post
                      Are you going to put any kind of flotation in the hull? I would also recommend drilling some holes in your framework and using pex along bottom or sides to run any wires through from the front to back/battery location.

I will be adding closed cell foam sheets to help stiffen the deck. Foam does not help a boat float contrary to what some may think. Foam is added to help insure the boat stays afloat should the hull become ruptured. She will have pvc chases for the fuel line and electrical.

Last edited by Brazos Hunter; 02-24-2020, 10:40 AM.

Comment

This is an awesome DIY project, thanks for sharing your progress!

Comment

I ran out of fumed silica to make thickened epoxy so unfortunately work has stopped for the day. More will arrive tomorrow but in the meantime I mocked up the trim tabs just because.

Thickened epoxy will be going in all the voids and zip tie holes prior to laying fiberglass

Comment

Our fumed silica arrived so after lunch I will fill all the zip tie holes and allow it to cure a couple days. Thursday I will sand it out and if all goes well, glass the hull!

Michael

Comment

You've got mad skillz!!

Comment

Originally posted by Mexico View Post
                                You've got mad skillz!!

I wish I could take credit for it but the truth is the plans/prints are so well thought out that if you follow them, you are almost guaranteed success

Comment

Working...
                                X