Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 04-27-2022, 10:22 PM   #1
bow newby
Four Point

Default Halibut fishing in Alaska

I’m leaving June 12th for a week in Anchorage. We have 2 days booked with a guide in Whittier. Any one been on one of these trips? Wondering what to expect. Can’t wait should be some beautiful boat rides to the fishing grounds
bow newby is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-27-2022, 10:34 PM   #2
Duane
Ten Point

Hunt In: Brady TX

Whittier is a cool little harbor town. I did my halibut fishing out of Seward but I’m sure the scenery will be just as grand. Good chance of seeing whales that time of year. I really enjoyed the halibut, but I had no idea how good the ling cod would be. Hopefully you get into a mess of both.

Also, tip your deckhand before he starts cleaning fish and ask him to cut the cheeks out of the halibut for you! I ended up with the filets from my two halibut as well as a bag full of all the cheeks from the 40 fish boat limit.
Duane is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-27-2022, 10:39 PM   #3
shwacker1911
Eight Point

Hunt In: san antonio

We went out of Homer last year man the swells were big hard to brace and crank a fish up from 150-200 feet down. But I agree make sure to tip the cheeks are great eating. Also be prepared to pay a arm and leg to ship it back
shwacker1911 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-27-2022, 10:44 PM   #4
TX CHICKEN
Ten Point

Hunt In: Karnes County, Jim Hogg and Duval County

I did a trip out of homer last year and we all limited on halibut, kings and rockfish. Rockfish was by far the best eating of the three. Biggest advice I can give is make sure to plan on bringing your fish back on the plane. My buddy told me shipping wouldn’t be bad and it was $750!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TX CHICKEN is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-27-2022, 10:45 PM   #5
TX CHICKEN
Ten Point

Hunt In: Karnes County, Jim Hogg and Duval County

Quote:
Originally Posted by shwacker1911 View Post
We went out of Homer last year man the swells were big hard to brace and crank a fish up from 150-200 feet down. But I agree make sure to tip the cheeks are great eating. Also be prepared to pay a arm and leg to ship it back

We fished on a boat with the seakeper gyro thing and it was dead calm in 3-4 foot swells! Amazing technology.

TX CHICKEN is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-27-2022, 11:03 PM   #6
shwacker1911
Eight Point

Yea we spent 300plus to send back 4 fish and some extra stuff we bought. Couldn't take it on the plane cause we were there for 5 more days driving all over the state went to Anchorage then to Seward to Homer to fairbanks and so on
Old 04-27-2022, 11:04 PM   #7
shwacker1911
Eight Point

[QUOTE=TX CHICKEN;16196033]We fished on a boat with the seakeper gyro thing and it was dead calm in 3-4 foot swells! Amazing technology.

Oh yea no we had 5 foot plus was just a big roll even 10 seconds made jigging easy
Old 04-27-2022, 11:22 PM   #8
shwacker1911
Eight Point

The nice part about Homer is you can fish right off the beach and catch halibut and a type of flounder all day long on squid
Attached Images

Old 04-28-2022, 06:20 AM   #9
savage1134
Eight Point

Hunt In: MO,TX, GA
Default Halibut

I go every year and love it.

Fish out of Ninilcheck Whittier and PWS for Kings.

Love it. Have tons of pictures
Attached Images

savage1134 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-28-2022, 06:47 AM   #10
kenner27
Ten Point

Headed back this June. We DIY towards homer for halibut with good success on the tides. I love it up there!
kenner27 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-28-2022, 07:08 AM   #11
diamond10x
Ten Point

Hunt In: Kinney and Bexar counties

Do yourself as well as the fishery a favor, release any halibut over about 50lbs. After they get to that size the fillets are too dang thick and just don’t taste that good. I much prefer jigging over bait fishing, much more fun and that initial bite is a good one. If there’s a chance to jig for rock bass take it as that is some fun stuff. Long cod are the best tasting saltwater fish there.

Don’t be one of those knuckleheads who keeps all the fish they catch to then just leave it and give it away. You catch it and kill it, take it home and eat it. There’s no excuses when airlines/airports are very accommodating as well as hotels and processors for storing fish for you.
diamond10x is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-28-2022, 07:30 AM   #12
Bassdeer
Ten Point

Get an electric reel.
Bassdeer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-28-2022, 07:32 AM   #13
RiverRat1
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba

When we went we tried super hard to get a real fishing guide to target just BIG halibut. Turned out to be impossible as every boat is catered to the regular fishing person. I guess, maybe I could have rented an entire boat for 24 hours.

We did catch a few way out from Homer. We didn't keep our halibut. The deckhand and captain were confused when I said catch and release. They didn't like that at all!

Try to get any legal fish carcass to use as bait.
RiverRat1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-28-2022, 07:37 AM   #14
7sdad
Ten Point

We went out of Whittier on a Halibut/Bear hunting trip and had a blast. One day we caught 12 fish that weighted a total of 1,400 lbs with the largest being 225. We went with Bubba Griggers and now him and his son have a deer processing place in Weatherford I believe. Bubba now has a lodge on Prince of Wales Island called Tree Tops Lodge.

http://www.alaskatreetopslodge.com/location.html

Last edited by 7sdad; 04-28-2022 at 07:41 AM.
7sdad is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-28-2022, 07:43 AM   #15
Trapper76
Eight Point

My wife and I spent 9 days fishing out of Thorn bay for our tenth anniversary. Amazing trip! Get some good rain gear and Ketchikan tennis shoes(rubber boots), it rains a lot! Jigging was my favorite way it fish, it keeps you busy and you feel the bite. Eat a light breakfast, it helps with motion sickness. The scenery and whale watching is worth the trip alone, fishing is the icing on the cake.
Attached Images

Trapper76 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-28-2022, 09:03 AM   #16
bow newby
Four Point

Thanks for all the great information.
Old 04-28-2022, 09:15 AM   #17
Mary
Administrator

Trapper 76 gave you important information. Look at Helly Hansen Rubber Rain Gear and either HUK or Xtratuf rubber shoes. Don't go all that way and not have the gear that will keep you comfortable, as it can (and does) rain often.

I have been a few times and will tell you ....Be Prepared....once you go, you will want to return year after year
Mary is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-28-2022, 09:16 AM   #18
ultrastealth
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Camp Wood, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by shwacker1911 View Post
The nice part about Homer is you can fish right off the beach and catch halibut and a type of flounder all day long on squid
I tried that and only caught flounder and cod. Congrats!
ultrastealth is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-28-2022, 12:42 PM   #19
bow newby
Four Point

Good information. Thanks again. I have good rain gear and footwear for work. Hopefully everyone else who is going have taken my advice. We will definitely be bringing the fish back home. What did you take for motion sickness? I’ve never really been bothered by it but want to take something just in case…..
Old 04-28-2022, 01:10 PM   #20
7sdad
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by bow newby View Post
What did you take for motion sickness? I’ve never really been bothered by it but want to take something just in case…..
I didn't take anything and it never bothered me.......until I got off the boat and then I couldn't stand still and almost got sick.
Old 04-28-2022, 01:52 PM   #21
220swift
Ten Point

Hunt In: South, East, and Central Texas

We went last year. Fished 5 days. One day Halibut fishing and salmon the rest of the time.

Although I love eating Halibut, we did not care for the fishing for them. It's boring and really not much to it. I could barely tell when we had a fish on and it was just 5 minutes of cranking.

I'll stick to Salmon fishing.

Just my opinion of course.
220swift is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-28-2022, 09:37 PM   #22
bowhuntvideo
Ten Point

Hunt In: Anywhere I can

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7sdad View Post
We went out of Whittier on a Halibut/Bear hunting trip and had a blast. One day we caught 12 fish that weighted a total of 1,400 lbs with the largest being 225. We went with Bubba Griggers and now him and his son have a deer processing place in Weatherford I believe. Bubba now has a lodge on Prince of Wales Island called Tree Tops Lodge.

http://www.alaskatreetopslodge.com/location.html

Who outfitted your bear hunt?

bowhuntvideo is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-28-2022, 09:45 PM   #23
7sdad
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowhuntvideo View Post
Who outfitted your bear hunt?

Bubba Griggers, it was before he had Tree Top Lodge. He was in the military and guided on the side. He’s good friends with a friend of mine.

Old 04-28-2022, 10:42 PM   #24
blackfoot1
Six Point

Hunt In: Alaska

Quote:
Originally Posted by bow newby View Post
I’m leaving June 12th for a week in Anchorage. We have 2 days booked with a guide in Whittier. Any one been on one of these trips? Wondering what to expect. Can’t wait should be some beautiful boat rides to the fishing grounds
Pretty out of there…If you FedEx fish always have the processor do It on a Tuesday or Wednesday… you can do 2 day with no worries with an insulated box… there is a huge backlog on Monday fish from the weekend(there is a glut) and those boxes might sit an extra day in ANC. If you find the right processor, flash freeze your fish and keep them with you… a lot of the hotels up here have big freezers and will hold them for you… alaska air “was” .99/lb as cargo so it saves you $$… You want to keep those 40-60 pound fish. Release the breeders… Rockfish are awesome! Have good rain gear… will y’all have any sea sickness issues?? There are a few things you can do beforehand to make It an enjoyable trip. Tides don’t affect the fishing in Whittier like the do in Homer or Ninilchik. Have any more questions let me know.
blackfoot1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-29-2022, 03:40 AM   #25
kry226
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hall County

I took my grandfather about 20 years ago and it was an awesome experience. We took a charter out of Homer and fished 50 miles out into the Cook Inlet in 175 feet of water using 3lb weights to get down to the bottom. The whales were amazing as we were literally covered up with humpbacks and I got some great video. It was a 2-fish limit back then and our party of six all limited out.

Don't be surprised if the guide/mate shoots the bigger fish before boating them. My captain used a .410, IIRC. Great advice here already, just have fun and let us know how it goes.

Sent from my SM-G986U1 using Tapatalk
kry226 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top