South Texas Hunter’s Thread 2022

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

South Texas Hunter’s Thread 2022

Little late on starting it this year but I’ve been busy at work so haven’t been on as much lately.

Hunted more than I ever have last year and had a blast. Meet up with a few TBHr’s at their ranch’s and had a few to ours.

Looking forward to the 2022 season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

For the first time ever we are feeding Cottonseed so I’m wondering what kind of results we will see?

What’s the time line on seeing growth? How much growth? Also will it bring in more bucks?

Comment

I’m wanting to set up cotton seed feeders on our place to help bring in more nilgai.

Comment

We are going through the protein, but man we need A LOT of rain soon in Starr!!

Comment

I’m here at the lease south of Aguillares now. It’s extremely dry. Deer are killing the cottonseed and protein .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by BigRed323 View Post
            I’m wanting to set up cotton seed feeders on our place to help bring in more nilgai.

Cotton seed brings in the Nilgai?

Comment

Originally posted by Black Ice View Post
              Cotton seed brings in the Nilgai?

I know a couple of guys down here that feed it and the nilgai have been hitting it lately.

Comment

Originally posted by BigRed323 View Post
                I know a couple of guys down here that feed it and the nilgai have been hitting it lately.

I’ll update if they start hitting ours. I’ve got cell cams out on them so I’ll post pics if they do.

Anyone know how long it usually takes for the deer to start hitting cotton seed after you first put it out?

Comment

With the current range conditions I'd bet if you primed the cotton seed with some corn they hammer immediately

Comment

Originally posted by Black Ice View Post
                    I’ll update if they start hitting ours. I’ve got cell cams out on them so I’ll post pics if they do.

Anyone know how long it usually takes for the deer to start hitting cotton seed after you first put it out?

They are pretty dang hungry right now so I’d assume they’d take to it pretty quick.

Comment

We did some work and filled all the corn feeders on our place in Webb Co this weekend and it is DRY. A couple of the tanks are still holding water but I'm not sure for how long. The water table has dropped and my landowner was talking about needing to lower his pump to try an keep water in the tanks. About the only green stuff I saw were mesquite trees.

Comment

We started cotton seed this year also. Put out last week of Feb and it took them about a week to start eating. Thus far we have fed 4 tons out of 12 basket feeders. They eat more more the stations where we have active corn feeders vs those we let the corn run out on. Not sure about attracting MORE bucks but you can bet it will put some weight back on them from the winter. In these dry conditions it might only keep them in the average range vs a drop off or worse yet a die off. Out mesquite leafed out 2 weeks ago and that might be only green we have out there right now.

Comment

did not hunt like I planned last year. We took 1 buck and 6 does off our ranch. We normally take 8-10 bucks. We need to kill more does but just never did it.
                          I still need to get back down to get my Mule that the rats ate wires on last year and my RV.
                          I did see on FB that there was a small fire south of San Ygnacio last week. I am sure that there will be more if we do not get some rain.
                          We had tons of young bucks and some bucks that will be awesome if they lived.
                          All my cameras are dead.

I need to get down but work and kids seem to be getting in the way.

To be honest I am worried about what it will look like...
                          Only upside is with not as much water around maybe the hogs will find water somewhere else.
                          Like Mexico....

Comment

I am looking forward to another memorial hunt trip to Dimmit county.

Comment

Originally posted by Txhuntr2 View Post
                              We did some work and filled all the corn feeders on our place in Webb Co this weekend and it is DRY. A couple of the tanks are still holding water but I'm not sure for how long. The water table has dropped and my landowner was talking about needing to lower his pump to try an keep water in the tanks. About the only green stuff I saw were mesquite trees.
                              We were at our place in Webb filling corn and protein feeders this weekend too. Some of our tanks are low enough that the fish are starting to die off and float. Hopefully we get some rain soon.

Comment

Working...
                              X