Reaction to cottonseed feeders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reaction to cottonseed feeders

I know there are a plethora of cottonseed threads on here, but I am curious about the reaction you guys have received when you started cottonseed on your places. We put out a handful of cottonseed feeders in existing protein pens a few days ago (typical wire mesh with a center t-post), and the deer are avoiding them like the plague. I totally understand it can take them awhile to accept it and start eating it, but they are flat out terrified of it. We’ve seen multiple groups of deer start to approach one of our feeder pens only to stare for a few minutes before hauling tail in the other direction like they have seen a predator or a human. Anyone else had this reaction, and if so, how long did it take for them to get past it?

It’s just new it may take them awhile to get accustomed to it being there. They might not eat it at all.

Comment

The first time I put out cottonseed it took my deer 4 or 5 months to make any significant dent in it. Now they hammer it even with pelleted protein out at the same time.

Comment

Hunger will overcome fear eventually

Comment

Throw some corn in and around them

Comment

They will take to it. Just give it time. Soon they’ll be knocking it out quicker than protein.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Appreciate the replies. We will see what happens from here! I expected it would take a while for them to start eating it, but was just a little surprised at how freaked out they were by the feeders. I have put out plenty of new blinds, feeders, fences, etc., in the past, and while I have seen plenty of deer initially avoid them or remain extra cautious for awhile, I have never seen them react quite like they have to these feeders. Will be interesting to see how it plays out.

Comment

Originally posted by travisd993 View Post
                Appreciate the replies. We will see what happens from here! I expected it would take a while for them to start eating it, but was just a little surprised at how freaked out they were by the feeders. I have put out plenty of new blinds, feeders, fences, etc., in the past, and while I have seen plenty of deer initially avoid them or remain extra cautious for awhile, I have never seen them react quite like they have to these feeders. Will be interesting to see how it plays out.
                I’m sure the new, tall, white, object in their feed pen sticks out pretty bad. There just reacting not knowing what it is. Once the get used to it and figure out what it is they will be all over it. Maybe pour a bag of corn in and around the feeder to help.

Comment

last year we only feed two tons. we are at 2.5 tons this year and just ordered four more tones.

Comment

I took our about 5 days to get comfortable enough to get into the pen with the snowmen and another 5-6 days to start eating some of it. The younger bucks seemed to be the first to start eating but the mature bucks shortly thereafter.

Comment

It took our deer almost three year to really Take to It. New deer still are Confused By it that Show up from The neighbors during drought Periods. Like Anything Else It will Just Take Time. I Personally Think the Lac of Smell Confuses Them the Most

Comment

Ours took 15 months before they touched it

It doesn't replace protein

But when our protein runs dry it's nice to have that for them

Comment

Our deer were petrified for a few days.
                          I wish I had started with small piles at each location
                          I poured some on the ground in two small piles here at the house feeder and within 3 days they were pounding it. Of course we are at the end of a long dry winter and they are very hungry.
                          At of my pens they still are not eating much although they were really going thru the Protein pellets there.

Comment

YES! Same thing with mine. Please keep us posted on what you see.

One of the places that I hunt I put our some fortified cotton see in a basket feeder off of the ground. Thinking it would help get some body fat on them and help them recover. I do not have a ton of deer at this place that I hunt at but always have a deer come in the feed pen here and there. Sometimes daily and sometimes every few days.

Since putting the cotton seed out, I have NOT had a deer go inside the feeder pen in over a week. Now I do have a pile of corn on the ground and the protein feeder has not been touched at all. I am seriously considering scrapping the cotton seed idea all together.

Kind of glad that I am not the only one but still find it odd that they will not come to the corn or protein now.

Comment

It takes a long time for the deer to take to it. It took our herd a month or longer to eventually take to it. Remember, deer will typically eat only around 25%-30% of their diet in supplemental feed. They will grab a bite or two when needed and the majority of their diet is native habitat - browse and forbs.

Comment

Working...
                              X