pre 64 Mod 70 VS post 64Mod70 VS Imported Winchesters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Most of us know the the pre 64 Wins are the most desirable. Post 64 Winchesters were built, bought and many were sold but always treated like a red headed step child for being post 64. Now with ZERO Winchesters being made in the USA. Have these post 64 Winchesters jumped up a little in status, desirability and value?
    OR
    Have the FN Winchesters and Miroku models eclipsed the post 64 models?

What say you?

I have a super grade from the early 90’s when they started to bring back the CRF. You couldn’t bribe me with a pre-64 over it.

The only winchesters that don’t seem to be desirable seem to be based more on the lack of the CRF than anything.

Comment

I have two post '64s. A 1965 and a 1967. I've had the '67 since 1984 or '85. And have put over 2k rounds through it. I haven't shot the '65 yet. Stock grade is slightly lower on that one IMHO. The '67 came with a high luster finish. And no buttpad. I have made three-shot groups more than once that you could cover with a dime with it. Both are chamber for 30-06. I'd be interested in more of said caliber from '64-1970 should anybody want to sell one at a resonable price.

Comment

I have a pre-64 30-06 Featherweight that is near perfect, haven’t shot it in 25 years.

My favorite deer rifle ever is an early-mid 70s (non CRF) 264 Mag that I absconded with from my dad’s collection. I don’t know how many animals I’ve killed with it, but it has to be over 500. It looks like it’s been drug a few miles.

I’ve got a newer model (with CRF) 257 Roberts featherweight that I bought 6 or 8 years ago and it is an awesome little deer killer.

I love Model 70s, I don’t like the feel of a model 700 Remmy, never have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        Last edited by Dale Moser; 01-22-2022, 06:16 PM.

Comment

Mint pre 64 Mod 70's are bringing any asking price regardless...it's mind boggling. I'm seeing like new standard 30-06 & 270's going for 2k-3k for the bottom of the bbl most common offerings.

Rarely does a minty all original 70 last more than a few hours of being listed online...price isn't an issue if the gun is legit.

I can't comment on post 64 demand unless it's from the custom shop.

Comment

I own a post 64’ M70 300 WM (early 90’s vintage) and a post M70 Super Grade in .308. Both are great rigs and I’ve grown to appreciate the controlled feed of an M70 over a 700 action over the years.

[emoji1662]

Comment

IMO, if I was buying a model 70, it would be a pre 64 or one new enough to have CRF. I already have Remington 700s.

Comment

The run of CRF classic stainless rifles they did in the late 90s to early 2000s are phenomenal guns.

Comment

Originally posted by trophy8 View Post
                  The run of CRF classic stainless rifles they did in the late 90s to early 2000s are phenomenal guns.

Oh hell I’ve got one of those too, I forgot about it.

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
                    Oh hell I’ve got one of those too, I forgot about it.

I had one in 375 h&h. Was fine shooting it standing. Off bags? That hurt. A bunch.

Comment

Originally posted by Artos View Post
                      Mint pre 64 Mod 70's are bringing any asking price regardless...it's mind boggling. I'm seeing like new standard 30-06 & 270's going for 2k-3k for the bottom of the bbl most common offerings.

Rarely does a minty all original 70 last more than a few hours of being listed online...price isn't an issue if the gun is legit.

I can't comment on post 64 demand unless it's from the custom shop.
                      There are only 9 complete collections of pre 64 model 70's. One is in the NRA museum ,one is in Bass Pro shop in Springfield and One my good friend who I won't name has. The 9mm is the rarest. Only 9 ever made. No telling what the whole collection is worth.

Comment

I have a 1936 M70 in 257 Roberts. It’s in good condition with a few dings as a used rifle would but not as much as a 90yr old rifle would be expected to have. Has a 60s model leupold 7.5x scope. There is nothing I dislike about it. I’ve considered putting a nicer piece of glass on it but it shoots too good to mess with it.

Comment

It amazes me the prices that post 64 Winchester's bring on Gunbroker. You are 100% correct in your statement that post 64's were considered redheaded step children for years. Mine is a late 1970's model model 70 that i purchased new, for a 159.99 $. It is my most trusted go to rifle.

Comment

Can't speak for the current Portugal rifles but the South Carolina made ones were pretty dang good.

Comment

Originally posted by dharris View Post
                              There are only 9 complete collections of pre 64 model 70's. One is in the NRA museum ,one is in Bass Pro shop in Springfield and One my good friend who I won't name has. The 9mm is the rarest. Only 9 ever made. No telling what the whole collection is worth.
                              Buddy of mine down here had a mint 70 in every caliber at one time...he started selling off when he get into rare English doubles. I waited to open the packages in his presence when I saw a receipt one day & the gun sitting on my table cost as much as my house.

This guy popped up the other day.

Comment

Working...
                              X