Oklahoma Elk Hunt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oklahoma Elk Hunt

Good morning TBHers. I just got an e-mail from Oklahoma saying my draw hunt application for elk was successful, so it looks like I'll be going up there in December. I was wondering if anyone here had the opportunity to do the same in the past and if so do you have any advice on what to expect with the with this hunt? Thanks.

Congrats! I was unsuccessful in the draw this year and I have not hunted there although Wichita Mountains is one of my favorite places in this part of the country and I've been up there a bunch of times to go hiking and seen quite a few elk roaming around. Some good videos on YouTube that I've watched on the elk hunts up there. Good luck.

Comment

wow, cool. Didn't even know that was available or elk in that region.

How long have you applied?

Comment

I believe this is a one time draw, meaning once you have been drawn you can not enter again.
        You doing Rifle in December? Are you hunting in the park?
        Good luck, elevation is no where like Colorado but it is extremely rocky and not easy climb or pack out.

Comment

I drew the cow elk hunt tag a few years ago. Didn't have any luck as the cows were all grouped up and if you found one you found most all of them in that area. Bulls on the other hand I found tons of them. Saw a bull the first day easily over 400" and several others during the hunt that were in the 300" range. I struck out on getting a cow but I put 2 guys on their bulls in the first 15 minutes of daylight on the second day of the hunt. Are you doing the walk in hunt or the ones they drive you out too?

Comment

Congrats, thats a tough hunt to draw.

Comment

Originally posted by bsills View Post
              I believe this is a one time draw, meaning once you have been drawn you can not enter again.
              You doing Rifle in December? Are you hunting in the park?
              Good luck, elevation is no where like Colorado but it is extremely rocky and not easy climb or pack out.
              if you do the walk in hunt they just started everything is on foot. Meaning you walk in and pack out on foot. You can bring a helper. If you drew the regular hunt they take you out in the field and help you get your elk out. The ride out is very rough. They load everyone up in the bed of the truck and drop you off at your the spot you choose to be dropped off in which ever segment you draw. Prepared to be bounced all over the place. The hunts are held in the area of the refuge closed to the public. Also the hunts there as you stated are once in a lifetime hunts.

Comment

sounds like i need to do some googling and find about this....

Comment

Wichita Mtns. is a great place to visit especially if you are a photographer.

Comment

I got drawn despite it being only my 2nd year applying. Sometimes you get lucky.

Comment

Originally posted by Horn chaser View Post
                      I drew the cow elk hunt tag a few years ago. Didn't have any luck as the cows were all grouped up and if you found one you found most all of them in that area. Bulls on the other hand I found tons of them. Saw a bull the first day easily over 400" and several others during the hunt that were in the 300" range. I struck out on getting a cow but I put 2 guys on their bulls in the first 15 minutes of daylight on the second day of the hunt. Are you doing the walk in hunt or the ones they drive you out too?
                      Originally posted by Horn chaser View Post
                      if you do the walk in hunt they just started everything is on foot. Meaning you walk in and pack out on foot. You can bring a helper. If you drew the regular hunt they take you out in the field and help you get your elk out. The ride out is very rough. They load everyone up in the bed of the truck and drop you off at your the spot you choose to be dropped off in which ever segment you draw. Prepared to be bounced all over the place. The hunts are held in the area of the refuge closed to the public. Also the hunts there as you stated are once in a lifetime hunts.
                      It's the regular hunt. Not the walk in one they just started doing recently. I don't know much about how they drop you off and where though. I assumed they didn't help get the animal out but it sounds like maybe that's not completely true.

Comment

Originally posted by txchuck View Post
                        Wichita Mtns. is a great place to visit especially if you are a photographer.
                        X2

Great area for photography, and lots of Old West history in the area.

Comment

I got drawn for the walk in only Elk hunt 12/13-12/17 so I will be up there also in December. Good luck.
                          I had 23 preference points before I got drawn. I'm freaking pumped....

Comment

Also be prepared for very cold weather on your hunt.

Comment

Originally posted by swain_130 View Post
                              Good morning TBHers. I just got an e-mail from Oklahoma saying my draw hunt application for elk was successful, so it looks like I'll be going up there in December. I was wondering if anyone here had the opportunity to do the same in the past and if so do you have any advice on what to expect with the with this hunt? Thanks.

Abe with the Stormwater Creek podcast got a cow in the Wichita Mountains draw last year. You might reach out to him on Instagram. @stormwatercreek

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X