New decking for utility trailer??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New decking for utility trailer??

I am going to have to put a new deck in my 12 foot utility trailer that I haul my Honda Pioneer on pretty soon. I've been thinking about using that "plastic" wood for the decking... Anyone ever done that and how did it work? It's expensive stuff, but so is real treated wood right now, and if the synthetic planks don't rot, it might be cheaper in the long run rather than having to rework it every few years...

Anyone have any ideas/input?

Thx.

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
    I am going to have to put a new deck in my 12 foot utility trailer that I haul my Honda Pioneer on pretty soon. I've been thinking about using that "plastic" wood for the decking... Anyone ever done that and how did it work? It's expensive stuff, but so is real treated wood right now, and if the synthetic planks don't rot, it might be cheaper in the long run rather than having to rework it every few years...

Thx.
    I saw on Fbook marketplace someone sawing down utility poles to use for decking, those should last a long time.

Comment

Thx.
      I would think that with all of the movement in the trailer it wouldn’t take long before the screw holes would wallow out!

Comment

Yea, years ago my brother and I built a trailer to haul his Jeep and we used creosote lumber to deck it... Far as I know that trailer is still "trailing"!! Full 2" timbers and that's when I learned the hard way not to let that creosote timber sawdust get inside your clothes!! OUCH, and OUCH again, for days!!

Comment

Most of the plastic decking products are not rated for structural use. There may be some types that are but Trex, ChoiceDek, and others specifically warn against using it to support loads.

Comment

Originally posted by 100%TtId View Post
            Most of the plastic decking products are not rated for structural use. There may be some types that are but Trex, ChoiceDek, and others specifically warn against using it to support loads.
            Hmmm, hadn't thought about that, but it makes sense... Elasticity over time is probably pretty high with a "plastic" board. There is a big gazebo in my back yard that we inherited when we bought the farm... Its deck is made of one of the synthetics and it is tough as nails, but it is not really load-bearing... You make a very good point. May have to just go back in with wood planking...
            Thanks,

Comment

Yea, years ago my brother and I built a trailer to haul his Jeep and we used creosote lumber to deck it... Far as I know that trailer is still "trailing"!! Full 2" timbers and that's when I learned the hard way not to let that creosote timber sawdust get inside your clothes!! OUCH, and OUCH again, for days!!
              My trailer is ready to deck. I removed the old crap would , self tappers , cleaned, painted and have been waiting for a window when the prices would drop but I don’t think it’s going to get any better than what it is! I think I found some good telephone poles but I’m going to cut them down to 1.5” thick because I don’t want the added weight of going 2”.

Comment

I’d think in this scenario (short runs with support below) you’d be fine. Framing a
                house, maybe not.
                Last edited by Fishndude; 05-23-2022, 09:18 AM.

Comment

Rumber ?

Comment

That's interesting stuff. Never heard of it before.

Comment

I'm going to check into this!! That could be a game/changer! I'll report back!

Thanks for posting this. Want to try to find a local source for this in the Houston area!

Comment

I'm going to check into this!! That could be a game/changer! I'll report back!

Thanks for posting this. Want to try to find a local source for this in the Houston area!
                        I looked into it, even at todays prices treated is cheaper.

Now I did use that plastic stuff on a kayak trailer but its only holding a plastic tool box with our crap in it. Its real easy to mess with and install. If by chance your trailer had braces say on 16" centers or something it would hold a UTV pretty easy

Comment

I wouldn’t recommend the plastic deck boards . Either go treated or milled telephone poles. I just finished doing my 10 ft trailer a few days ago . I used treated lumber . 2x8’s . I Called around I found them a heck of a lot cheaper at true lumber years not an improvement store .
                          For milled telephone poles there is a place outside Wharton that will mill them to what ever size you want . I almost went this way .

Comment

Good push Mr100.

Im in the same situation and was thinking along your lines MrSlick. On my trailer, BigTex welded angle iron at the front and rear of the trailer on top of the decking. I cant quite wrap my mind on how to work new wood in under the iron without cutting and welding.

Comment

Originally posted by Briar Friar View Post
                              Good push Mr100.

I cant quite wrap my mind on how to work new wood in under the iron without cutting and welding.
                              Cut the boards to length. Then bend in the middle to slip them in.

Comment

Working...
                              X