Simple Crawfish last nite

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Simple Crawfish last nite

Had crawfish with a ******* last nite. He laughed at the idea of garlic an butter an lemons in the boil pot along with bags of ice etc..... He did purge the hell out of them and then boiled with No seasoning. He added the season in the cooler an shook em around an let steam in the cooler for 30mins. I was amazed at how good they were and I've had plenty of bugs. I will be simplifying from now on

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327A using Tapatalk

With a coon #$% from Hackberry.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327A using Tapatalk

Comment

Clear water technique is the only way to go. I have been doing that for years. Boil them fast then dump them in a cooler to soak in the spice. Stops the cooking process and makes for much better bugs.

Comment

You can cook crawfish, gumbo, brisket, ribs, crabs, shrimp, etoufee, ________ a million different ways. There is no ONE perfect way to cook them. I tell people to cook whatever way you have most confidence in and whatever your family & friends desire.

Steam, traditional, soak, sprinkle seasoning in ice chest, etc… prepare how momma likes them

My only advice - do NOT purge crawfish using salt since it can kill the crawfish, and has been proven through research that salt does not clean the crawfish. Just rinse in running water (drain plug removed from ice chest) and remove the vegetation & dead bugs.
        Last edited by Cajun Blake; 05-22-2022, 12:36 PM.

Comment

Stalekracker don’t do it that way it ain’t the way - and you can put THAT on a cracka doo

Comment

Originally posted by Cajun Blake View Post

My only advice - do NOT purge crawfish using salt since it can kill the crawfish, and has been proven through research that salt does not clean the crawfish. Just rinse in running water (drain plug removed from ice chest) and remove the vegetation & dead bugs.
            I second CB suggestion on purging. It’s a waist of time and money even though salt is cheap. I had to prove that to some folks along time ago. I took 10 crawfish and washed them like they had been to a car wash. I then added salt water to a white plastic container and left crawfish in for 30 minutes. After removing crawfish the water was still as clear as when I started. Nothing came out of them. Wash your crawfish vigorously and cook. If not over cooked the vein will come out when you pinch the tail section and remove the meat.

Comment

They come pre washed from HEB all over Texas. I always rinse em off once anyway though.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Cajun Blake View Post
                You can cook crawfish, gumbo, brisket, ribs, crabs, shrimp, etoufee, ________ a million different ways. There is no ONE perfect way to cook them. I tell people to cook whatever way you have most confidence in and whatever your family & friends desire.

Steam, traditional, soak, sprinkle seasoning in ice chest, etc… prepare how momma likes them

Most people overcook them though. You don't actually boil them much like shrimp.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Comment

Clean them, boil in clean water for 5 minutes, dump them in a cooler of 145 degree seasoned water, let soak for 30 minutes, best i ever had. Actually they were steamed for 5 min but the boil method will work as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Gumbo Man View Post
                    I second CB suggestion on purging. It’s a waist of time and money even though salt is cheap. I had to prove that to some folks along time ago. I took 10 crawfish and washed them like they had been to a car wash. I then added salt water to a white plastic container and left crawfish in for 30 minutes. After removing crawfish the water was still as clear as when I started. Nothing came out of them. Wash your crawfish vigorously and cook. If not over cooked the vein will come out when you pinch the tail section and remove the meat.
                    Water hits a rolling boil shut the gas off and start dropping the water temp. No need to boil them at all. I cook weekly during crawfish season.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by RWB View Post
                      Water hits a rolling boil shut the gas off and start dropping the water temp. No need to boil them at all. I cook weekly during crawfish season.

Sorry gumbo man I didn't mean to quote you.

Comment

Originally posted by RWB View Post

If your only doing one sack at a time you are really spot on. We are normally gonna do 10 so we leave it rolling but pull about 1 minute after back up to boil and then add the next sack. Most people would say the we only blanch em but we stand behind our process 100,000 lbs later.

Comment

Working...
                        X