Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Beargrasstx View Post
    Nevermind, found some YouTube videos
    What did you come up with on cost.? I’m seriously toying with it but if more pellets and cotton seed is the way to go then it is what it is.

Thinking I might throw clover this fall water well and hope for the best. Coming in this next spring as suggested by txbowman12 plan is to hit it with buckwheat. (Any good sources down that way or anywhere from Houston or Laredo to get it) From some reading I might be able to get two stands one to seed then shred and get a bonus crop to throw seed into as a cover. Any thoughts on this are greatly appreciated. Plan to do about an 2 acres. Have more if y’all think the water can be pumped to it and keep it putting out more then it cost.

Comment

Originally posted by Marsh-Rat View Post
      What did you come up with on cost.? I’m seriously toying with it but if more pellets and cotton seed is the way to go then it is what it is.

Thinking I might throw clover this fall water well and hope for the best. Coming in this next spring as suggested by txbowman12 plan is to hit it with buckwheat. (Any good sources down that way or anywhere from Houston or Laredo to get it) From some reading I might be able to get two stands one to seed then shred and get a bonus crop to throw seed into as a cover. Any thoughts on this are greatly appreciated. Plan to do about an 2 acres. Have more if y’all think the water can be pumped to it and keep it putting out more then it cost.
      Lots of factors
      Pump $250 to $300
      Pvc cost
      Fittings
      Suction hose 20ft $70
      Garden hose
      Sprinkler heads

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Comment

I usually get the buckwheat from Hancock or seedworld USA. Steinhausers could probably order it for you though. I would do the lick creek mix in the fall, 75lbs per acre elbon rye, mix of white and red clover, (6 lbs per acre white and 10 lbs per acre crimson), and maybe some daikon radish. Plant the clover and radishes mid September and overseed the rye mid October. That will get you a good diverse stand that will feed deer well into the spring (and help retain a lot of moisture in the soil), then you can broadcast buckwheat into it and mow over top in spring. If you want fawning cover just leave strips of the rye standing.

I have a doe in my plot right now that just fawned today, mostly standing rye but with clover beneath and a strip of buckwheat and sunn hemp (and clover from fall plant) in the middle. tons of food and cover all in one spot

Comment

Working...
        X