Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 05-04-2022, 09:31 AM   #1
kumathebear
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Coke County and Beyond
Default Home Warranty Recommendations?

Anyone have a Company you have experience with that is "Decent?"

We had been with American Home Shield for several years but recently switched to AHW (Amazon owned) with terrible service on the 1st claim with Fridge problems. We still have had no contact from a tech after 48+ hours of filing the repair request.

Appreciate any recommendations based on your experiences. Oh, did a search and the OP's are not recent.
kumathebear is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-04-2022, 09:34 AM   #2
Mayhem
Pope & Young

Hunt In: crockett, county

I think home warranty is a scam. Other than the 1 year Iíve had with each home Iíve bought Iíve never had a home warranty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-04-2022, 10:00 AM   #3
Top Of Texas
Ten Point

Hunt In: Panhandle

American Home Shield has been great for us! House built in 1930's.

In 20 years, have replaced:
2 water heaters
Stovetop
Oven

And repaired:
AC/Heat multiple times
Plumbing leak plus rough in
I think the sewer line under house

Respond quick and have sent knowledgeable and experienced workers.

If they didn't make money it wouldn't be a service. We figure we come out about even, but it eliminates that huge upfront cost of some work when surprised by an emergency.
Top Of Texas is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-04-2022, 10:06 AM   #4
Patton
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Edwards, Hays, Caldwell

Skip the home warranty and go with a company like PreFix (if they are in your market).
Patton is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-04-2022, 10:16 AM   #5
gingib
Pope & Young

Hunt In: NTX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
I think home warranty is a scam. Other than the 1 year Iíve had with each home Iíve bought Iíve never had a home warranty.

x2
gingib is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-04-2022, 10:25 AM   #6
chadt1234
Six Point

We have had American Home Shield since move in 12 years ago. They have easily paid out more than I have put in. All depends on the house and what's in it. The previous owner put in a very pricy 36" fridge. It needs something done every couple of years. I'm out a few hundred and according to the techs, the parts cost way more than that.
chadt1234 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-04-2022, 10:33 AM   #7
HogHunter34
Ten Point

Hunt In: Anderson County

I’ve personally never had good experience using them for my personal home or rentals with both AHS & I can’t recall the other one. They don’t respond quick, can’t use just any service provider & you have to get approval of service before doing any service.
I never renew them
HogHunter34 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-04-2022, 10:34 AM   #8
Mary
Administrator

American Home Shield is not recommended by me. It came with our home purchase... and I went without AC upstairs (my office area) for 6 weeks in the heat of the summer. In addition, we needed an oven repair and that took over 3 months with no progress. I finally told them to get lost and bought a new oven. I refused to renew when the year was up....it was not worth the headaches for me.

Maybe it is just my area (north of Houston) and the companies they hire to work repairs, but they were just horrible at doing what they claim to do.

And...their call center is in the Philippines with roosters in the mix on about every call ... drove me crazy. LOL

It you have FB....do a search on American Home Shield. It will make your mind up for you.
Mary is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-04-2022, 10:45 AM   #9
M16
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Colorado, LaSalle, Counties

Take the amount of money you would have wasted on a home warranty and put it in a savings account.
M16 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-04-2022, 10:46 AM   #10
Randy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: 20' up a tree in Leon County

Quote:
Originally Posted by M16 View Post
Take the amount of money you would have wasted on a home warranty and put it in a savings account.
Exactly, build you a reserve for replacement account like commercial property.
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-04-2022, 10:48 AM   #11
Stickslinger92
Eight Point

Hunt In: Anywhere I can

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patton View Post
Skip the home warranty and go with a company like PreFix (if they are in your market).
Seems like PreFix is $40 a month so $480 a year. I was considering getting a warranty with Choice Home Warranty, it looks to be about $510 a year. With PreFix costing $40 per hour for repairs and also being charged the price of items to replace I feel like PreFix would end up costing more.

What are the pros of PreFix over a home warranty?
Stickslinger92 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-04-2022, 11:26 AM   #12
bowhntrmatt
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Comstock

My home warranty recommendation: don't do it.

Save your pennies and hire quality contractors that do work in a timely manner when things break. HW will almost always send the least qualified, slowest, undertrained, underpaid trades out to do the work. They are in the business of collecting premiums, not paying claims.
bowhntrmatt is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-04-2022, 12:27 PM   #13
Kelmat
Six Point

Hunt In: Shelby county

When I did residential AC work we worked for American Home Shield for a little while. They didn't want to replace equipment- just patch it. We decided that the only way to be profitable working for them was to up sale the home owner on other items and we refused to do that to our customer base so we stopped working for them.
Kelmat is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-04-2022, 12:33 PM   #14
hot_rod_eddie
Ten Point

Hunt In: NC, SC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary View Post
American Home Shield is not recommended by me. It came with our home purchase... and I went without AC upstairs (my office area) for 6 weeks in the heat of the summer. In addition, we needed an oven repair and that took over 3 months with no progress. I finally told them to get lost and bought a new oven. I refused to renew when the year was up....it was not worth the headaches for me.

Maybe it is just my area (north of Houston) and the companies they hire to work repairs, but they were just horrible at doing what they claim to do.

And...their call center is in the Philippines with roosters in the mix on about every call ... drove me crazy. LOL

It you have FB....do a search on American Home Shield. It will make your mind up for you.
Agree - I dropped American Homeshield the first time I tried to use them and got the run around. Called and kept getting transfered to overseas locations. I was so POed. Called "sales" and got a lady in Arizona. Poor lady got an earful that day.

I think a home warranty is valid depending on situations such as home age, cash flow, your skill level etc. Home warranty for my home in Pasadena was only about $650 a year with a pool. We were foster parents so the house had to be inspected to a different level. Found a leaking gas pipe (that wasn't even in use at the time). So a week into moving in 'Republic Home Warranty' paid for a new gas line. Later had a dishwasher go bad. No issues getting it replaced.
I don't have a home warranty now, but I live in a newer house, have better cash flow, and can fix most things that go wrong.
hot_rod_eddie is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-04-2022, 12:54 PM   #15
PROLINE19
Six Point

Hunt In: Jones county

American Home Sheild are crooks
PROLINE19 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-04-2022, 01:18 PM   #16
TexaRican
Pope & Young

I'm 2 weeks shy of 1 year on this house. The AHS warranty the seller bought us came in handy for sure. Brand new oven went into overheat lockdown and the way it's installed it is very hard to get open when that happens. The guy from appliances and more spent hours out here working on it and stated they are losing money big time on these new ovens over their deal with AHS. Only cost me $75. Had him come back when the brand new dishwasher failed. Finally, had a plumber come out and replace the lower heating element on a 20 year old water heater. That is kicking the can down the road a bit but again, $75 versus $450 for a replacement plus labor. AHS wants $675 to renew and I'm very tempted. One AC unit I replaced when we moved in but the upstairs is 12 years old now....
No complaints with AHS.

Being in Granbury, you probably get Appliances and More regardless. Keep in mind that supply chain disruption on appliance parts or even AC parts is very real right now. We did have to wait several weeks for a new circuit board on the dishwasher.

Last edited by TexaRican; 05-04-2022 at 01:21 PM.
TexaRican is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-04-2022, 01:28 PM   #17
GarrettH
Ten Point

Hunt In: Bandera

My 2 pennies.... 3 years in Real Estate and not 1 family that I have served has been happy with the HW's It is, for the majority of people, a waste of money and they are now an in contract negotiation tool that usually just is a $600 donation from sellers. Not saying they don't have their purpose but I don't have great experience.
GarrettH is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-04-2022, 01:41 PM   #18
rolylane6
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wise county

My only experience with AHS was selling our last house. When we listed with the agent it was an "inclusive" part of the contract that I was unaware of at the time. The A/C went out a week after we listed it. I called my normal A/C guy and he said we needed a new unit at tune of 6k. I called the realtor to let them know we needed to stop showing the house for awhile til I could put together the funds to replace it. She asked if I called AHS and told me about the contract. I called them. Of course, AHS only replaced the compressor but it got it running and cool again and we were able to sell the house without a huge investment. It worked for us in that situation but I don't think I would use it as an overall strategy for home repair in the home I live in. I think it's mainly a bandaid for most things.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk
rolylane6 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-04-2022, 01:57 PM   #19
no bait
Eight Point

Hunt In: deep south Texas

sears home warranty has worked for me. like anything else got to spend some time on the phone for claims if you want them to cover everything as stated.
no bait is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-04-2022, 02:22 PM   #20
Seatruckn
Four Point

Hunt In: London

Quote:

This. Over time I found that mine wouldnít even cover costs of items that were used as direct selling points, such as a Freon recharge. We used it our first year to have the house rekeyed. After that it was pretty useless.
Seatruckn is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-04-2022, 03:09 PM   #21
tpack
Ten Point

Hunt In: Erath

Nope. I’ll just insure myself. Not going to put up with the BS when something breaks. I’d rather pay more and use someone of my choice that I know and trust.
tpack is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-04-2022, 03:13 PM   #22
gingib
Pope & Young

Hunt In: NTX

Quote:
Or invest it at easy 6-8% returns!!!!!

20 years that adds up quick
gingib is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-04-2022, 03:19 PM   #23
Big Lee
Ten Point

Hunt In: Central Texas

Quote:
Amen
Big Lee is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-04-2022, 03:21 PM   #24
Big Lee
Ten Point

Hunt In: Central Texas

I suggest saving the money in an account as well. I do not like having someone else controlling who works inside my home.
Big Lee is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-04-2022, 06:06 PM   #25
kumathebear
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Coke County and Beyond

Great comments all! For the record, we have had both good and frustrating experience with AHS, but this "inaccurate" Amazon company takes the cake!! I finally got a "supervisor" to admit they are NOT an Amazon company and after another day of NO results, cancelled the contract as amiable as I could today. Then they told us we would be charged a $30 cancellation fee and it was stated in the contract, which I missed initially! I told their "supervisor" at least I would save a lot of $$ per month for the WORST customer service I have ever experienced cancelling!!

By the way, we do have our retirement savings we add to as much as possible, but a big ticket item hurts with us both retired and the busted, leaking tankless heater some idiot put in the attic has costs us a lot in repairs today including ceiling, etc. from water damage.

Still not sure what we are going to do but really worried about the "big expense" items like AC/Heating as our home is 10+ years old, etc. Thanks again and anymore experiences are welcomed.
kumathebear is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-04-2022, 08:29 PM   #26
Benno
Eight Point

Best advice I can give you is whatever price youíre quoted, send me half the quote in cash with a thank you note for saving you half the money. When we bought our house 9yrs ago it came with AHS. Coil went out, they would cover the coil but not all the extras the company said they were required to do. I could have replaced 2 coils for what the extras added up to.

Iíll pm you my address or you can Venmo, which ever you prefer.
Benno is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-05-2022, 07:21 AM   #27
Patton
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Edwards, Hays, Caldwell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickslinger92 View Post
Seems like PreFix is $40 a month so $480 a year. I was considering getting a warranty with Choice Home Warranty, it looks to be about $510 a year. With PreFix costing $40 per hour for repairs and also being charged the price of items to replace I feel like PreFix would end up costing more.

What are the pros of PreFix over a home warranty?
Like many others expressed, a home warranty company is only as good as the contractors/vendors they partner with. Many times I hear my clients say that their home warranty wonít cover X problem that just occurred, and I hear the appreciation expressed from my clients with PreFix (especially those who have also had a home warranty in the past).
Patton is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-05-2022, 07:24 AM   #28
TheWidowMaker
Ten Point

Hunt In: Anywhere

I had Old Republic (i think that's the name) nothing bad to say about my experience. I was always contacted the next day by a contractor and issues were quickly resolved. Replaced my A/C, garbage disposal, and garage door motor in my previous house.
TheWidowMaker is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-05-2022, 12:24 PM   #29
locolobo
Ten Point

Hunt In: Somewhere in TX

I had a policy with Sears a few years back that covered th major appliances in the house, Water heater, dish washer, AC/Heat, fridge, freezer... It actually paid for itself. And had Sears service personnel doin the repairs. Relatively timely and decent service. Eventually had newer appliances So I dropped the coverage. Now that they are getting older I called Sears back. They will insure separate appliances but now, they also offer whole home warranties.. I didn't go get it but with their past track record (for me) That would be the one I would look at seriously.
locolobo is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-05-2022, 06:13 PM   #30
sharkhunter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: In the woods

Quote:

X1000 set up a home emergency fund and have x amount put in the account out of every paycheck. Create your own home
Warranty.
sharkhunter is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-06-2022, 10:32 AM   #31
txbowhunter14
Four Point

Hunt In: Caldwell County

Ivíe had decent experiences with Old Republic. Had bad experience with American Home Shield. AC went out in August and they were going to take 5 days before they could come out to check it.
txbowhunter14 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-06-2022, 10:49 AM   #32
Welding Teach
Six Point

https://www.homewarranty.com/

We use Fidelity, we have used them for our A/C and Dishwasher.

A/C Tech said they are one of the best about replacing stuff if the tech calls for it.

dishwasher repair guy was little off, and it didn't help I was recovering from a surgery when he had to come out.

Overall we have been happy with the service.
Welding Teach is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-06-2022, 11:24 AM   #33
BrianL
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Lamar and Dickens

Main thing with HW is they will repair, but almost never replace anything. Sometimes repairing a 20 year old HVAC is costing you more in the long run than replacing with a much higher efficiency unit. They are OK for patchwork, but with parts as limited as they are today, I wouldn't be surprised if repair wait times might be months long.
BrianL is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top