No announcement yet.

Best hunting knife

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Old thread but oh well, everyone loves knives. My favorite is a random Imperial brand that was given out to RMEF lifetime members that my dad gave me sometime in the mid 90’s. It’s cleaned more whitetail than I can remember. The other favorite is a havalon piranta limited edition with bighorn sheep on the scales.

Comment

I've got a Browning fold-up knife, about a 4.5" blade. Have cleaned many deer with it and it holds a great edge. Best knife I've ever had.

Comment

I’ve got a bunch of “hunting/skinning” knives, but the one I use the most is a Spyderco Impala.

Comment

Originally posted by laredoarcher View Post
          Outdoor edge are great.
          My choice.

Comment

Originally posted by RJH1 View Post
            If you are swapping blades, some may argue that you don't know how to use a knife :-)
            I fall in this category, but probably for different reasons. I totally get why folks use these knives. They are super sharp and when they get dull, just throw another blade in and you’re good to go.
            But If you know how to sharpen a knife, a good blade will hold an edge a lot longer than disposable blades.

Comment

Victorinox 5.5” semi stiff boning knife. It does everything you need a knife to do from start to finish on deer, hogs, elk, and similar sized critters.

Comment

I like the outdoor edge swing blade. I'm big on keeping hair off the meat. You can remove the hide on an Elk in 5 min with one.. it's like having a zipper on the animal. The regular blade sharpens pretty easy too. I keep a sharpening steel and hit it a few licks while I'm cleaning deer.

Comment

Originally posted by Rubi513 View Post
                  I fall in this category, but probably for different reasons. I totally get why folks use these knives. They are super sharp and when they get dull, just throw another blade in and you’re good to go.
                  But If you know how to sharpen a knife, a good blade will hold an edge a lot longer than disposable blades.

A properly heat treated knife with a correct angled edge should keep an edge for a very long time. I’ll typically touch up an edge on the leather strip after a couple deer and am good to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I have a pretty good collection of knives, everything from customs, to cheapies that i bought because of unusual design or profile. I have come around to liking a drop point or clip point blade, doesn't have to be a "super steel" either, yes, there are steels out there that you can skin several muddy hogs with before they need touching up. Some of those steels are notoriously hard to sharpen up after they do get dull, however. Something like Knives of Alaska's D2 blades or Bark River O1 blades, or even Buck's old standard 420 stainless work just fine. In fact, I kind of enjoy the sharpening session after i use one of mine, and put that hair splitting, or "tree topping" edge back on them...

Comment

Can’t beat Morakniv, especially for the money

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                      X