Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is high FOC arrow setups really all that great?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Duckologist View Post
    Obviously the increase in total weight. The weight being forward simply aided in stable arrow flight of nock tuned bare shafts thus aiding in perfect flight with my fixed heads

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
    yes.

Comment

There is a happy median where KE and speed make the right combination for the type of animal you plan to hunt.

I found that the heavier the arrow the more amplified the arrow flight issues became.l, mostly arrow fishtail issues which leads to a huge waste of KE. Tuning becomes more important. That would be tuning 1) the arrow 2) the bow and 3) the shooters form. Lots a variables for sure.

To me, there’s no sense in going to the extreme end of the weight/FOC spectrum. But the objective, at least for me, is to shoot the heaviest arrow at the minimum speed I want. Each of which are in direct opposition to each other.

So we arrive at the question of the day. “Does speed matter?” Of course it does. Does mass matter?, of course it does too. But like I said, somewhere in the middle of that spectrum is the right setup for each of us in our own application.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

IMHO, the best compromise is a light shaft with a high FOC through adding point weight. FOC does not effect trajectory at all, only the overall weight of the arrow does. FOC does, however, effect stability in flight and penetration.

Comment

Originally posted by ultrastealth View Post
          IMHO, the best compromise is a light shaft with a high FOC through adding point weight. FOC does not effect trajectory at all, only the overall weight of the arrow does. FOC does, however, effect stability in flight and penetration.
          What he said.

Comment

Originally posted by ultrastealth View Post
            FOC does not affect penetration.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Looks like you guys have figured it out, great work by all those involved and who participated.

[emoji1662]

Comment

My number one criteria is structural integrity. That's the only one of Ashby's rules I'll fallow.. I've had light gpi arrows blow up on a heavy bone hit. I've tried it all . Heavy light,high foc etc. 450ish grains with 12 to 15 % foc works best for me. Arrows come out to that weight because the gpi of the arrow. I've had pass throughs on Elk ,Deer, and 275lb + hogs . The key is the broadhead.

Comment

Originally posted by jds247 View Post
                  ”… 450ish grains with 12 to 15 % foc works best for me. Arrows come out to that weight because the gpi of the arrow.

That’s about right for me too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

One day I’m going to understand half of what is being discussed here. Maybe I should ask more questions to maximize my effectiveness

Comment

Well I just finished some new arrows and man they shoot great, they have about 13% FOC. They are Victory RIP TKO Elites 300 spine with 75 gr hit brass inserts and a 100 point, totaled 470 grs. Very Impressed with how they grouped out to 50 yards. Im starting to think that a higher FOC arrow makes for better consistent accuracy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by rudytexas View Post
                        Hello everyone I've been looking to setup some new arrows for my Mathews V3X 33/70 lbs. I've been shooting FMJ 340s with 100 gr fixed and mechanical broadheads at about 478 grs total for years and they always blow through animals no problem. So my question is going with a lower gr per inch arrow and putting more weight up front to get more FOC, is that really going to be beneficial for accuracy and penetration? I seems this high FOC thing is all the rage, I'm just wondering if it's really worth it in the end. Any insight or experiences on the matter I'd appreciate it.
                        I’m also shooting a V3X 33 @ 70#. I had been shooting Axis 5mm 300s, in the 470-490s.

I recently switched to Gold Tip Airstrike 300s, with 200 up front (125 gr Annihilators with a 75 gr HIT insert) in the 440s. (I don’t use the Gold Tip collars.) Very happy I changed.

Comment

I forgot to mention- the lightest I could get the Axis 5 mm was in the 460s with 116 gr up front @ 12% FOC.

The above Airstrikes with 200 up front are lighter and with a FOC of 18%.

Comment

Working...
                          X