Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can you show me your cotton seed feeder?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

These look fun to make. Do axis like cottonseed?

Comment

Tote cages have their issues.

I’m really not sure what the best way is.

We’ve gone through wire mesh baskets. Dumping bulk on the ground and now tote cages. There’s no perfect system.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by kyle1974 View Post
        Tote cages have their issues.

I’m really not sure what the best way is.

We’ve gone through wire mesh baskets. Dumping bulk on the ground and now tote cages. There’s no perfect system.

Looks like you've combined tote with wire. Seems like a tote cage alone would be safer.

Comment

Originally posted by muddyz View Post
          Looks like you've combined tote with wire. Seems like a tote cage alone would be safer.
          I use totes with wire at the top, to keep the seed from falling out and just the cage at the bottom.

Comment

Comment

We are still using tote cages with no wire and having zero issues. One truck bed for me holds about 1200-1400 lbs. One truck bed fills up tote and the rest goes on the ground.

Comment

He got hung up on the tote where we cut holes in the wire so they can get the cottonseed better.

Comment

Originally posted by JMAG View Post
                  We just built 6 cottonseed feeders this past weekend. Picked up a ton of it in Sinton, Tx for $320. Loaded it in the back of the truck and put a tarp over it. It's said to be a good source of protein and just deer eat it after a while. I'm from spring/tomball area and couldn't find it anywhere around here.
                  Here's a picture of the feeder (trough)
                  [ATTACH]459615[/ATTACH]
                  I get mine out Columbus my lease in Charlotte south of San Antonio

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Comment

Don't worry about the Vmesh wire. The 2x4 wire works just as well. Alot cheaper to.
                    I used a plastic 55gal drum as the mold for the feeders. 1 tpost per feeder. Works great.

Comment

Here. This should save everyone some time. Just buy one on Facebook for $100 [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Comment

I guess they come preloaded.

Comment

One of mine. Only been out a month and about gone allready.
                          Attached Files

Comment

I'm still struggling with this. If you are just feeding one feeder then the truck bed and shovel method works. We are trying to put together a program for 12-15 feed stations.

So bags is just silly. Bulk a pickup load at a time isn't so good. A 20' trailer is better, but man that is a lot of shoveling on a monthly basis. The Haskell gin will only do a 40k lb live bottom trailer. So that is too much and still shoveling.

My thought was you load up a big trailer with 8-10 of these tote cages (with bottoms). You put side boards on your trailer, have the gin "bulk" load your trailer, thereby filling up all the totes. Of course there is extra that is all over the place, the side boards hold it in and you tarp the top. Then you drag the tote off the trailer into the feed pen (I can back the trailer into every pen no problem). Shovel/sweep off the extra from the trailer into the pen as well. I just need a place that can bulk load my trailer like that.

I just can't figure out a way that makes the overall cost savings worth the effort, labor and time.

The alternative is bulk protein. A feed bin on the ranch with a feed wagon. Initial cost is high on the equipment and feeders but it is actually operable by 1-2 guys when time to get feed out.
                            Last edited by muddyz; 01-21-2022, 03:18 PM.

Comment

I run three in my area. They are about 30” in diameter and takes one thousand pound super sack to fill all three. There are 4 of us on 1100 acres and all of us run the same amount in our areas. Doesn’t take long to fill them. Only summer months are tough when it’s 100 plus degrees out. These next two months deer will generally go though a couple thousand pounds, then hopefully the spring rains will arrive and they usually slow down to maybe 1000 lbs every two months.
                              Last edited by Muddy Bud; 01-21-2022, 04:13 PM.

Comment

I'm still struggling with this. If you are just feeding one feeder then the truck bed and shovel method works. We are trying to put together a program for 12-15 feed stations.

So bags is just silly. Bulk a pickup load at a time isn't so good. A 20' trailer is better, but man that is a lot of shoveling on a monthly basis. The Haskell gin will only do a 40k lb live bottom trailer. So that is too much and still shoveling.

My thought was you load up a big trailer with 8-10 of these tote cages (with bottoms). You put side boards on your trailer, have the gin "bulk" load your trailer, thereby filling up all the totes. Of course there is extra that is all over the place, the side boards hold it in and you tarp the top. Then you drag the tote off the trailer into the feed pen (I can back the trailer into every pen no problem). Shovel/sweep off the extra from the trailer into the pen as well. I just need a place that can bulk load my trailer like that.

I just can't figure out a way that makes the overall cost savings worth the effort, labor and time.

The alternative is bulk protein. A feed bin on the ranch with a feed wagon. Initial cost is high on the equipment and feeders but it is actually operable by 1-2 guys when time to get feed out.

We get truckloads of sacks delivered feeding about 130-150klb a year and most of it’s shoveled. I have a utility trailer and we will load it up with 4-6 sacks and a time and drive around shoveling cottonseed almost every weekend. Right now they’re eating a basket (300-ish lbs) in 7-10 days, so with 22 stations it’s a job.

We will use a tractor sometimes To dump full sacks into tote cages, but it seems like it’s more work to drive the tractor around than just a truck/trailer with a couple snow shovels.

Comment

Working...
                                X