Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mechanicals for Red Deer/Small Elk

Iā€™m a lover of mechanical heads.

Shooting 70 lbs, 420 grain arrow at 285 FPS, what mechanical head would you use?

I normally shoot WASP jackhammers and thought about using the 1 1/4ā€ head instead of my 1 3/4ā€ deer head. I have shot a few deer with rage trypan hand have not been impressed. The 3 blade rage chisel tip seems to give performance on par with the Jackhammer.

Friends of mine swear by the grim reaper for elk which is very similar in design to the jackhammer

1-3/8 Grim Reaper

Comment

If your going to use mechs, then look at Trifecta Broadheads. Pretty sure they are made here in Texas.

Sent from my SM-N976U using Tapatalk

Comment

Sevr

Comment

Originally posted by txtrophy85 View Post
          Iā€™m a lover of mechanical heads.

Shooting 70 lbs, 420 grain arrow at 285 FPS, what mechanical head would you use?

I normally shoot WASP jackhammers and thought about using the 1 1/4ā€ head instead of my 1 3/4ā€ deer head. I have shot a few deer with rage trypan hand have not been impressed. The 3 blade rage chisel tip seems to give performance on par with the Jackhammer.

Friends of mine swear by the grim reaper for elk which is very similar in design to the jackhammer
          I never shot an elk with a bow, hoping to change that shortly however. That said, i see the trypan recommended often as a mechanical for elk. What did you not like about it on deer? I haven't used the trypan, but have had excellent results with the hypodermics and extremes on deer and had been considering the trypan for elk

Comment

Originally posted by RJH1 View Post
            I never shot an elk with a bow, hoping to change that shortly however. That said, i see the trypan recommended often as a mechanical for elk. What did you not like about it on deer? I haven't used the trypan, but have had excellent results with the hypodermics and extremes on deer and had been considering the trypan for elk
            Didnā€™t get the blood trails or penetration I was expecting from the broad head. I liked the 3 blade chisel tip much better. I had heard these heads were the best thing ever and I just was not impressed

Comment

Any of those will work if you put it in the vitals. I killed a Red deer hind with a 3 blade copycat of a Rocket (looks like a Siphon) broad head several years ago. Complete pass through with about the same arrow weight and fps youā€™re shooting.
              Last edited by rjtkdplus; 12-15-2020, 10:42 PM.

Comment

I killed a Red Stag last summer with Rage Hypodermics

Comment

Grim Reaper Pro Micro Hybrid.

Comment

Sevr 1.5

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

I love the Rage Trypan. They hold up much better then the standard Rage Hypodermic. Last year I took out 3 deer with the same broadhead/arrow till finally got snapped off and a blade broke on the last deer. Just touched them up a bit after each kill. After about 20 kills on deer, hogs, and a few exotics I had none of them fail to open correctly either. I use the 125 grain models. I think they are up to make 150 grain now too though.

Comment

Grave Digger Hybrid
                        Grim Reaper 1 3/8' Razor Tip

Those would be my top two choices.

Comment

I've shot two red hinds with Rage heads. Neither went 60 yards.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Sevr 1.5 in 125gr to be specific. Will have a bigger and tougher ferrule.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
                            Last edited by Adam G.; 12-16-2020, 11:10 AM.

Comment

Working...
                            X