Right Handed, Left Eye Dominant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Brute Killer View Post
    I have 3 kids that are that way, and I am also that way.
    I shot left handed for many years, until I bought my first bolt action rifle. Then I switched. I had a lever action previously.
    I trained all 3 of my kids to shoot rifle and shotgun left-handed.
    My oldest daughter decided on her own to shoot right handed.
    I built her a right-handed rifle. I built my younger daughter a left-handed rifle.
    I bought my son a left-handed rifle and a left-handed bow.
    All my rifles are right handed and I shoot left lol. I can work a bolt pretty dang fast!

Comment

Originally posted by bboswell View Post
      He can get by on a rifle by closing an eye but he will never be a good shot with handgun or shotgun unless he shoots as a lefty.

You just can’t overcome eye dominance
      Also, I've gotten to where I can leave both eyes open when using a scoped rifle right-handed. I couldn't previously. I'd never get a sight picture.

Comment

I have the same problem. I would teach him to shoot lefty. I’d also let him hit from the left in baseball and play golf lefty.

Comment

My daughter is right handed and left eye dominant. One I figured that out she started shooting left handed and it all clicked for her. Started her out with a 22 mag then moved to the 222. She was 8 and killed her first deer/buck that season with the 222. She moved up to the 243 for a while. She’s 18 now and is lights out with the 308.

Comment

I’m left eyed, and righthanded. Bought a left handed rifle a few years ago. Didn’t like how it felt. Sold it.
            I remember my Dad teaching me how to shoot- he gave me some grief about now being able to shoot right handed, like him. Let him shoot how he feels most comfortable. .

Comment

Now, check this out!
              [ame="http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=h0o0PUPAOF0"]Eye Neutral - YouTube[/ame]

Comment

And this!
                [ame="http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=arjrIB4004o"]Primary Hand Primary Eye & Cross Eye - YouTube[/ame]

Comment

I always say go with the dominant eye when choosing whether to shoot right or left. That said my son was left handed/right eye dominant and shot a bow right handed. He has won bowfishing tournaments all over the country ever since he was knee high to a grasshopper. Last year he had a bowfishing accident and lost his right(dominant) eye. This year he is still shooting right handed with only a left eye and still winning tournaments all over. They won the Muzzy/Mississippi State Championship last month with 1,097 fish to 2nd place's 640 fish. Amazing what your brain can adapt to.
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by Old Bald Guy; 07-05-2022, 09:39 PM.

Comment

My 2 oldest are RH but LE. They both naturally shoot a longbow lefthanded.
                    My 2 youngest are RH and RE. They both shoot a longbow righthanded.

With the oldest two… A tripod has been good for training on a RHd rifle. Maintain cheek weld and prey sight acquisition with left eye whilst controlling action with dominant right hand. Its worked well.

Im LH and RE and I wink because I shoot both L and R.

Consider making shooting super fun with a critter target. Struck ballons popping or metal dinging is more exciting than punching paper holes.

Good luck Mr400.

Comment

Also consider….

Developing shot placement mentality off and on rifle by your son selecting shot placement on various critters in a game magazine.

Rewarding Snapping In (obviously safe…dry firing) on a critter target. An ice cream for 50 good form shot cycles. Less ammo spent and better form development with reward.
                      Last edited by Briar Friar; 07-05-2022, 10:37 PM. Reason: SafeDryFireFormDevelopmentSpake

Comment

Originally posted by jt400 View Post
                        My 9 year old son is right handed and left eye dominant. Its been extremely frustrating. A rifle at range has been out of the question up to this point but he's ok with a crossbow as long as I put an eye patch over his left eye and he has a little time. He's even shot a few deer but its time for him to learn to shoot a rifle. In anyone's experience am I better to just go ahead and let him learn to shoot left handed? I tried that at 1st but abandoned it fast because it was a mess.
                        I am left eye dominant and write with my left hand. That being said the only things I do left handed are shoot and write. Both of my kids are right handed and left eye dominant. We all shoot left handed. Once you figure out the dominant eye, the hard part. learning to shoot is easy. Let him shoot left handed and roll with it.

Comment

My son is right handed and left eye dominant. As soon as we figured it out for sure I switched him, so he spent a good period of time shooting right handed. He has now made the full switch and is competing at 9 years old in archery and rifle tournaments left handed. He caught on quite easily to the left handed shooting. It has made a huge difference and he's doing very well. I definitely recommend switching over. Where you will notice it the most is in instinctive things like, shotgun shooting, barebow archery, billiards, etc. where closing an eye isn't an option.

Keep a close watch on the eye dominance. It's not likely, but it can switch back and forth when they are young.

Comment

Working...
                          X