Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dang that’s a big fish

Comment

I have tried the Zebcos for my wife but found the retrieve ratio way to slow for throwing plastics.

Comment

Originally posted by ttaxidermy View Post
        Good to know.
        Back in the the day(70's-80's)the Zebco "ONE" was a very good reel..
        The old "33's" were decent too.
        I think I still have a pretty good collection of 303's out in my shed.

Comment

My wife is on her 3rd Zebco Omega, the other 2 still work also. 1 stays in Austin for freshwater & a spare at the coast for guests. The last one I bought is the black one with a slightly larger spool & drag. I have had to rebuild the drag in the older ones.
          She hates spinning reels & baitcasters, these spincast reels get a serious workout with her on Redfish & Sheephead at the Jetties.
          Only thing I don't like is where they put the drag control , she is always accidentally backing it off.
          I put 20Lb. Suffix braid on them.

Comment

Quality Zebco reels

I think I’m gonna order my son one of these. He’s learning to throw a bait caster, but fishin time is to valuable to be learning right now. I think this will bridge the gap nicely on a 6’ 6”Ugly Stik.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by HoustonHunter94 View Post
              I’m 47 and got a Zebco 33 for my 10th birthday from my grandpa. Have owned all sorts high end stuff since then but still have that 33. Used it earlier this year and caught 10-12 bass in a pond on a road runner from 1-3 lbs. Nice trip down memory lane. I like the Zebco products.

That’s awesome!

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
                I think I’m gonna order my son one of these. He’s learning to throw a bait caster, but fishin time is to valuable to be learning right now. I think this will bridge the gap nicely on a 6’ 6”Ugly Stik.

That's a solid set up Dale. My grandsons put a whoopin' on some big blue cats in a friend's pond with that set up... The drag sound is pretty cool too!!

Comment

Use a old guide trick. Cast out the baitcaster you want him to use and then wrap the spool with Scotch tape. Don't go crazy, one wrap is enough. Reel back up over the tape. If they catch a fish that pulls drag the tape comes right off. When he backlashes it, it will only be one or two wraps and not the whole spool. It works like a charm for kids. Heck, I've done it myself when its really windy.

Comment

Originally posted by Hoggslayer View Post
                    Use a old guide trick. Cast out the baitcaster you want him to use and then wrap the spool with Scotch tape. Don't go crazy, one wrap is enough. Reel back up over the tape. If they catch a fish that pulls drag the tape comes right off. When he backlashes it, it will only be one or two wraps and not the whole spool. It works like a charm for kids. Heck, I've done it myself when its really windy.

I’ll be ****ed…..

That’s genius, thank you.

Comment

Dale for Christmas or birthday get him a Shimano SLX 150 DC. Once set up properly its dang near backlash proof.

Comment

Probably awesome for lake fishing but that SLX 150 DC will get funky after some time in the salt. Mine barely lasted a year.

Comment

Originally posted by BrandonA View Post
                          Dale for Christmas or birthday get him a Shimano SLX 150 DC. Once set up properly its dang near backlash proof.
                          I have had several kids on my boat who had one of those reels and they do work very well. That is exactly what I'd recommend to get a kid started with a baitcaster. I have been pretty impressed with them.

Comment

He has a Lews right now that his grandad bought him. He’s getting better with it, I imagine he’ll have it down by spring. I have that Shimano saved on my list though.

Thanks, men.

Comment

I was raised on Zebco 33s. I still have about a dozen of them. In the mid 1960s Zebco would send a technician to Security Sporting Goods in Alexandria, LA to promote their reels. He would clean and put new line on 33s for $0.25. We would take all our reels to him.

Comment

I started my son on a Lew's MB. It's not made any longer. I got it because it had both centrifugal brakes you can adjust and also magnetic braking. It could be adjusted to where a kid could use it easily. I got 2 of them probably 6 years ago and he still prefers them. They are his favorite reels and I have a pile of higher end reels he can use.

Comment

Working...
                                X