Evander Holyfield

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Evander Holyfield

'I've spent my entire career proving critics wrong. They said I was too small to be a Heavyweight, and I won the world championship four times. They said I couldn't go the distance, and I won my first world title in fifteen rounds in one of the most grueling matches ever fought, then they did the same against George Foreman, Larry Holmes and Riddick Bowe. They said Mike Tyson was going to kill me, and I beat him twice. They said if I fought Bowe a second time, he'd put me in the hospital, but I beat him too.'

- Evander Holyfield

Evander Holyfield (born October 19, 1962) is an American former professional boxer who competed between 1984 and 2011. He reigned as the undisputed champion at cruiserweight in the late 1980s and at heavyweight in the early 1990s, and remains the only boxer in history to win the undisputed championship in two weight classes in the three belt era. Nicknamed "the Real Deal", Holyfield is the only four-time world heavyweight champion, having held the unified WBA, WBC, and IBF titles from 1990 to 1992, the WBA and IBF titles again from 1993 to 1994, the WBA title a third time from 1996 to 1999; the IBF title a third time from 1997 to 1999 and the WBA title for a fourth time from 2000 to 2001.

He was the undisputed champion at cruiserweight before moving up to heavyweight and becoming a four-time champion.

He had wins over notables such as Mike Tyson ( who he beat twice) Lennox Lewis, Micheal Moorer, Riddick Bowe, Larry Holmes, and George Foreman.

I was a fan of him ever since he was the crustier weight champion. He was never the biggest, strongest, or fastest, but he had no quit in him. He fought everyone from his era and backed down from no one.

I feel history has left him very underrated and almost forgotten when it comes to great boxers. Anyway, I was a big fan of boxing from a child until the 2000’s. Don’t know if anyone else on here appreciates the “sweet science.”
    I may have been the only Holyfield fan. I always liked the underdog

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by AntlerCollector; 07-05-2022, 06:03 AM.

I liked watching him fight.

Comment

Yeah he didn’t get much credit for beating Tyson because Iron Mike was crumbling whenever he fought him the first time. Then the second fight they obviously didn’t get to finish.

Comment

I liked Holyfield too, I wish he had broken Tyson’s neck after the “bite”. I liked him right up until he beat George Foreman, because George was my all time favorite !

He was a helluva boxer and like you I stopped watching it because it became a parody IMO.

Comment

He was a ******. Don’t forget that Mike bit some of his ear off!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Definitely top 5 boxer of all time

Comment

He was the REAL DEAL for a reason. That first fight with Tyson was almost like a superbowl win to me. I had like 30 people over to my house for a watch party and nobody was giving him a chance.
              He was a warrior. I actually got to meet him at Super Bowl *** (Cowboys/Steelers) at a pre party. My wife and I have a pic with him. He was a super nice dude.

Comment

My childhood neighbors worked on his team. One served as sort of security and one as a sort of physical therapist. During his train up I used to get to go down and watch him train pretty regularly. That man could jump rope for hours it seemed and I will never forget how proud an amateur boxer was when he got to spar with Holyfield even though by a few minutes in he had absolutely gotten the brakes beaten off of him.

Comment

Saw him once on a running trail in Houston and he’s a MOUNTAIN of a man. I did a double take, and kept on going.

Comment

Originally posted by RascalArms View Post
                    He was the REAL DEAL for a reason. That first fight with Tyson was almost like a superbowl win to me. I had like 30 people over to my house for a watch party and nobody was giving him a chance.
                    He was a warrior. I actually got to meet him at Super Bowl *** (Cowboys/Steelers) at a pre party. My wife and I have a pic with him. He was a super nice dude.

Dang! That’s cool Joel

Comment

He is the real deal and cool one at that. I met him years ago here in Houston when he use to train here. I shot hoops with him, took some pics. He was very nice and a great guy.

Comment

He was a warrior in the ring no doubt! Glad to hear he is a good human being as well.

Comment

He is one of the best ever!

Comment

Was a big boxing fan as a kid. Remember being on a trip with my Grandma when the bite happened and she refused to let me turn on the tv to see the highlights.

IIRC it was the Holyfield v Ruiz fight, first one, that made me lose interest in the sport.

Comment

We are 3 days apart Im a fan!

Comment

Working...
                              X