No announcement yet.

Survival kit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You will have to keep it dry until use but 0000 steel wool will get a flame going.

You can dunk it is water, wring it out and it will still catch a spark almost every time.

The major drawback is rust. If it is something you are going to throw in a kit and leave, make sure it is sealed. If it is something you are going to toss in for a trip, it really doesn’t matter.

Comment

Kinda soft in here.
      The Sacketts never needed anything but a stale biscuit, their wits, and the knowledge that if they took a holt of something, it was gonna move.

Comment

A good tourniquet
        Probably the thing that is going to kill you is blood loss and hunting accidents with blood loss happen all the time.

Comment

I like the idea of using a bino bag, keep ie small.

Comment

You can pack more than you think in a YETI bottle!!
            Fits down at bottom of backpack or backseat

Comment

5 gallons of water

Comment

Take some cotton balls and melt some Vaseline and dribble it onto them, and mix it in. They will keep forever in a candy tin, or a plastic container, they will burn hot and light easily with any spark. I have some in every pack I have. Some kind of water filtering system, this is Texas, after all, and staying hydrated is important. Emergency blanket, and a little food. A flashlight. Much depends on how long you plan staying lost.. lol...A GPS...

Comment

Tootsie rolls.
                  Won't melt, a little bit of energy.

Comment

Bottle of vodka
                    Pack of smokes
                    2 ways to light cigs

Comment

Originally posted by sasqy View Post
                      Bottle of vodka
                      Pack of smokes
                      2 ways to light cigs
                      I never thought about the alcohol in vodka and cigarettes with lighters as a way to start a fire but that is brilliant.

Comment

Whistle, magnifying glass, fire starter, jump cord, water, light, waterproof matches, hatchet, etc. I got lost during a storm years ago. I got soaking wet, then my glasses got wet, noting to dry em with or keep em dry. I was royally screwed. I walked till I found a house and they were able to drive me back to my buddies truck. Nowadays I hunt my own place and can’t get lost. But, and I’m not trying to a smart arse, you gotta know when to back out. It’s very easy for seasoned hunters to get in trouble, as the documentary showed.

Comment

Originally posted by tvc184 View Post
                          I never thought about the alcohol in vodka and cigarettes with lighters as a way to start a fire but that is brilliant.
                          Daaang! L E forced you into these vices! Lol!

Comment

Working...
                          X