No announcement yet.

Fallow, shoot or no?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I saw this in a quick search so I guess you can hunt him until loses them... It's early....sorry..lol.. I have some whitetail shed them as late March early April around turkey season.....hunt him till you can.

"New fallow antlers develop during spring and summer once the velvet covering is fully formed."

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
      I saw this in a quick search so I guess you can hunt him until loses them... It's early....sorry..lol.. I have some whitetail shed them as late March early April around turkey season.....hunt him till you can.

"New fallow antlers develop during spring and summer once the velvet covering is fully formed."

Heck you had me thinking I was loosing it for a second. It is early. I’m heading to the blind! Got one hour of sleep cause I guess I couldn’t turn my brain off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by mmlreiner View Post
        Heck you had me thinking I was loosing it for a second. It is early. I’m heading to the blind! Got one hour of sleep cause I guess I couldn’t turn my brain off.

Good luck! I hope you get him of at least see him long enough to make your decision.

Comment

I hope you get a chance at him.

Comment

Well, he didn’t step out for me guys. I’ll be back next week and I’ll try again but for now, he gets to walk lol. Story of my life.

Comment

I would shoot! If you don't have fallow does around, I'm sure he'll eventually move on.

Comment

I'm not a huge fallow expert. But I've killed 3 and have had some on my place for a few years now. My 3 year olds look similar to him as far as antler size but they look much healthier even post rut. One person mentioned he might be post mature. I think that could be the case or he could be sick/injured. Doesn't look like a "run down" 3 yr old to me. Looks like a sick 3 yr old or a post mature fallow.

My .02 don't know of that's helpful or not but that's what I have to offer to the conversation.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by mmlreiner View Post
                  Let me put things in perspective for you for a little clarity. I want a fallow buck that’s mature enough. I’ve shot a spike and the meat was wonderful. I’ve had a couple of two year olds come across on occasion and I didn’t shoot them because I want a mature buck. They start to show some palms at about 3 and from there, I only have the internet to tell me what is “mature”. When I look at pictures of other fallow bucks, they seem larger in body size than this buck. Much larger necks. In the up close photo, he doesn’t seem all that large.

I age my whitetail by placing my thumb over the antlers and just looking at the body. If I did this with this particular fallow, Im not sure if he seems all that mature.

This could be because he’s at the end of their “rutting season” from what I’ve read but again, im not certain. This is why I asked about y’all’s opinions. I figured someone would weigh in that has more knowledge than I do. From a distance, he looks tall and wide. Im sure if he walks out I’ll get a better handle on his maturity but maybe not.

Im not going to shoot a young fallow just to put antlers on the wall. I want to shoot a mature one. If this is what maturity looks like for a free range fallow in the hill country then I’ll surely go for it. They’re not native here and I don’t see them frequently enough to be better at aging this guy.

I’d take him, my reason is that if fallow appear to be a scarce commodity and that they don’t stick around then what are you gaining by letting him walk and get mature?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Honestly I keep hoping to get in this thread and see a LDP

Comment

Well guys I can’t kill him if he doesn’t appear for me lol. Trust me I’m trying to hunt him, even if it’s just to get a better idea of what his age is. I’ll go again next week and give him a run for his money. Meanwhile. The dang sika buck has shown up like clockwork every day. Too bad I’m not after him!

Comment

Working...
                      X