Transporting animals into US from Canada

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Transporting animals into US from Canada

Going on my first bear hunt in Saskatchewan this May... so what's the process of transporting the hide and skull back into the US? And how much trouble is it to transport a bow into Canada and back thru the airlines?

No problems with bow, just get a good hard case. Your outfitter should have all the paperwork for getting hides and meat back into the US.

Comment

10-4. Is there a weapons declaration paperwork I have to fill out for the bow?

Comment

Originally posted by corps2010 View Post
        10-4. Is there a weapons declaration paperwork I have to fill out for the bow?
        No sir. Archery equipment is considered no different than golf club or skis...sporting equipment. Some idiots at the border have to be reminded of that, but it's a fact. I'd leave any large knives at home, as they do draw attention.

A good 48 quart cooler, you can buy them at Canadian Tire (like Walmart), will hold a frozen bear hide and skull. Just wrap the cooler lid closed with duct tape and write your name on the cooler in marker. Just check it as luggage. There is a CITES permit that you have to fill out. It is easy to do. Good luck.

Funny story....I was bringing a bear back from Quebec and we went thru New Jersey. This young black girl asked me "What's in the cooler?". I replied, "A bear". To which she very excitedly asked, "Is it alive?". I couldn't help but say "Yes ma'am and it was hell to get that thing closed." She was not amused, but her supervisor, who she insisted on calling, thought it was hilarious.

Comment

I had no problem getting the bow across the border. I was asked if it was an automatic! They opened it up and looked at it but were extremely careful not to mess anything up and I was in the room. Pretty easy in my opinion. I also put my hunting knife in the bow case as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon B View Post
            I had no problem getting the bow across the border. I was asked if it was an automatic! They opened it up and looked at it but were extremely careful not to mess anything up and I was in the room. Pretty easy in my opinion. I also put my hunting knife in the bow case as well.
            I figured out a way to protect my sights. I pack my underwear in my bow case and pack them all around my sights. On the way there, they hardly look at all. On the way home, when the drawers are no longer clean, they slam the lid shut and send me on my way.

Comment

Working...
            X