No announcement yet.

Saltwater boats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Big Shallowsport stays at Port Mansfield. 21 Hewes middle coast.
    The Haynie Cats seem to be great boats as well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

21 ft Majek Redfishline w/Yamaha 150 4 stroke

Comment

My FIL has a 21ft TranCat with 175 Suzuki 4 stroke

I am lucky where I have access to it when needed. I love it as I see it as a good all around boat
        Last edited by Daniel32; 04-05-2017, 09:20 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jmsck12 View Post
          I'm wanting to know what saltwater flats boats you tbh'ers are running. My father runs a Dargel skout and I have a Kenner pro skiff which will be sold after I graduate college. I'm wanting to see how you guys would rate your boat and what you like about it. I'm starting a savings for a new boat already and want to see what good options there are out there. As of now I'm thinking of a shoal water cat, Dargel skout or a shallow sport classic all in the 20 foot size. Thanks for all your guys info.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I personally have a 2012 Dargel Skout 186 with a 115 Suzuki and love it! Looks like your down here in the RGV, so your best bet would be to go with Dargel as they are local. Dargel boat will do all you need it to do. I've gone skinny with no worries of being stuck. Dargel will treat you right. They are good people with great product. Just my $0.02.

Comment

this
            Attached Files

Comment

I currently have a 2006 Triton LTS. I fish it out of POC. Its not a skinny water boat but does a lot of other things pretty well. The back lakes are pretty much off limits. Boat will float in 10" and run in less but takes at least 2.5' to get up in. The vee hull and 24" transom are nice when there is a couple feet of chop.

If buying a new boat get something that runs shallower. Also buy a boat from someone that knows how to rig a boat for saltwater. You will be ahead in the long run. In my opinion, I wouldn't worry too much over max mph. Bay conditions are going to dictate your speed most of the time.

Here are some things I don't like about the Triton. Center console is too big and takes up too much space. Similarly, leaning post is oddly configured. Too tall and but not wide enough to allow a decent cooler size. Accessory switch panel looks neat but is fragile and difficult to work on. Gel coat on fiberglass hatches cracks and flaked in a few locations. Boat came pre-rigged with a Mercury but plumbed in the hull out of sight was a Yamaha brand water separator that no one new about. It rusted out and left me stranded. Plumbing for bait well is basically un-repairable without cutting a way to access.

I've started planning for new boat and like the looks of some of the Haynies.

Comment

I had a JH B240 for 13 years. Sold it to my son for a dollar and he traded it to Donny Tran and is having a new Tran Sport 240SVT built right now with a 250HP Suzuki on it.

I've been running boats in West Matagorda Bay for 46 years and the JH was probably my favorite of all boats I have had in the past. Handled rough water very well and with the TRP on it got up pretty shallow.

But that 240SVT that Tran makes just blew me away. We borrowed Donny's demo boat and took it to Port Mansfield and fell in love with it. Rough water, calm water deep water shallow water it just impressed me to no end.

I took that boat across West Matty from Palacios to the south shoreline in some sloppy seas and I was sold.

Can't say anything bad about a Shallowsport classic no sides; the 24' is a great boat and I've ridden in one numerous times, but for me it doesn't have enough deck room with the elevated console, which is needed on that boat..

Had a Dargel Scout for a while, couldn't wait to get rid of that rough riding SOB lol.

Comment

flats boat

Shoalwater cat is a good a compromise between running shallow and taking some chop IMHO. Good luck. D

Comment

Originally posted by king_tarzan View Post
                    I personally have a 2012 Dargel Skout 186 with a 115 Suzuki and love it! Looks like your down here in the RGV, so your best bet would be to go with Dargel as they are local. Dargel boat will do all you need it to do. I've gone skinny with no worries of being stuck. Dargel will treat you right. They are good people with great product. Just my $0.02.

My dads boat is the same thing but has the 115 etec. Great but but it's a little rough once you hit the chop. Also the dang etec has given us problems since the day he got it. When she starts it runs like a champ and would have no complaints about it at all. But lots of the time it won't start and we will be close to having a dead battery before it does start. It's been in the shop countless time and it still has the same problem.

Comment

Another vote for the Shoalwater Cat 21'. Best all around boat out there. Go skinny and still be able to run when wind is blowing.

Comment

I run a 21' Shallow Stalker tunnel V. It will run just as skinny as a shallow sport but won't get up like one. Still need about 8" in soft bottom and about 15" in hard sand. But I think your on the right track. 23' Shoal Water Cat can handle a chop pretty good and run thin. Also check out the new Tibboron Boats. It's a tri hull Tunnel boat like a Shallow sport only built to handle a chop as well. The NX22 is nice.

Comment

18' Majek Redfish Line here. It will go super shallow but it is not a comfortable ride at all in chop.

Comment

you guys are just making me drool all over the computer

Comment

Originally posted by J-Fish View Post
                              you guys are just making me drool all over the computer

I feel the same way everytime I talk about boats

Comment

jhp b240

Comment

Working...
                                X