Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Game Management/Age & Score/Trailcam Pics

Old 12-11-2018, 09:26 AM   #1
Randallc
Four Point

Hunt In: Throckmorton
Default Cottonseed

I was considering a supplemental feeding program at our place in Throckmorton using whole cottonseed, and I have a few questions for you guys using it. First, are you guys seeing any benefits from feeding seed? I know this summer was really hard on our bucks, and I feel they could've benefited from some help. Second, where do you buy yours? I live in Brock (Weatherford), work in Ft. Worth, hunt Throckmorton, so does anyone know of a place convenient to those areas? Third, if you have a feeding cylinder 3' around and 5' high how many pounds of whole cottonseed will it hold?

Thanks for any help!
Randallc is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-11-2018, 09:35 AM   #2
Creed Killer
Six Point

Hunt In: North Texas

In on this.. hope you get some good responses. Been wondering about the same things.
Creed Killer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-11-2018, 09:38 AM   #3
bbqfan5909
Ten Point

This year would not a be a good year to start feeding cotton seed. With the late rains, alot of cotton was ruined. We called our local gin and he said with the poor crop, he wont have much and the farmers have first rights to claim it (which they did).
bbqfan5909 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-11-2018, 09:38 AM   #4
TXDraht
Four Point

Hunt In: Burnet County

We are testing it out on our place. Cylinder is about the size you described. Held 8 - 50# bags.
TXDraht is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-11-2018, 09:54 AM   #5
deerwatcher51
Ten Point

Hunt In: Richland Springs & Washington on the Brazos

I started cottonseed for the first time last year. I was to late to find any in bulk and ended up buying cottonseed in sacks. I bought a half a ton to start and in sacks it was about the same cost as protein. I filled the wire feeders in January along with the protein feeders. I feed protein year round. If I remember correctly, you can put about 350 lbs in each wire feeder. From January through June, the cottonseed basically went untouched, but they were hitting the protein pretty heavily. In July, it was like a switch was flipped and they started hammering the cottonseed. I ended up buying another half ton and they ate all of that by the end of August. My plan this year is to let the protein run out and fill the cottonseed feeders and have that be their only option for January and February. I bought a high sided trailer and have already picked up three tons of bulk cottonseed from the nearest gin, which was 90 miles away. As far as finding cottonseed, I would google "Cotton Gins" and see the ones nearest you. Call them and see if they have any available. Now is probably the best time to find some. Later on they will either not have any more or will have contracted out what they have. I hope this helps.
deerwatcher51 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-11-2018, 12:18 PM   #6
Randallc
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbqfan5909 View Post
This year would not a be a good year to start feeding cotton seed. With the late rains, alot of cotton was ruined. We called our local gin and he said with the poor crop, he wont have much and the farmers have first rights to claim it (which they did).

I see a lot of cotton left in the fields around Throckmorton now.
Old 12-11-2018, 10:19 PM   #7
Arrow-Tek
Four Point

Default Cotton seed filling trailer and feeder

We are just North of Saginaw in Newark and we carry cotton seed in 50lb bags and also sale/rent cotton seed filling trailers. We have designed a cotton seed feeder to go along with our trailer. Below are some pictures, message us for more details.
Attached Images

Arrow-Tek is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-12-2018, 12:58 AM   #8
AntlerCollector
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Votaw, Hardin/Polk Co., TX. Bon Weir, Newton Co., El Dorado, Schleicher Co., TX.

If you're buying cottonseed in bags you are working way too hard. I have fed cottonseed for the last two years at two spots on my lease. I feed from February to September. So far I have put out 18,000 pounds at my two feed pens. I can't imagine doing that with 50lb bags. Deer love cottonseed. It's high in protein, fat, and fiber. This season I expect the mills to run out due to the flooding we had. Hopefully I will still be able to find it. I get my cottonseed in Eldorado and San Angelo. Google cotton gins and CO-OP's near you. The best way to get it is with a trailer that has sides on it. You can also have them fill your truck bed if you don't have a trailer. Get you a snow shovel and it's easy to scoop out and put in a wire feeder. I made my feeders out of 2x4 welded wire from TSC and a t-post. They are cheap and work great. A water tote frame works too. I prefer cottonseed over protein because RACCOONS DON'T EAT IT! Water doesn't ruin it either. I'm not sure exactly how much 3'x 5' will hold, but it's close to 350-400 lbs I think. I hope this helps. I will post a couple pics of one of my feeders.
AntlerCollector is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-12-2018, 01:00 AM   #9
AntlerCollector
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Votaw, Hardin/Polk Co., TX. Bon Weir, Newton Co., El Dorado, Schleicher Co., TX.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
AntlerCollector is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-12-2018, 09:17 AM   #10
RascalArms
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Schleicher County

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntlerCollector View Post
If you're buying cottonseed in bags you are working way too hard. I have fed cottonseed for the last two years at two spots on my lease. I feed from February to September. So far I have put out 18,000 pounds at my two feed pens. I can't imagine doing that with 50lb bags. Deer love cottonseed. It's high in protein, fat, and fiber. This season I expect the mills to run out due to the flooding we had. Hopefully I will still be able to find it. I get my cottonseed in Eldorado and San Angelo. Google cotton gins and CO-OP's near you. The best way to get it is with a trailer that has sides on it. You can also have them fill your truck bed if you don't have a trailer. Get you a snow shovel and it's easy to scoop out and put in a wire feeder. I made my feeders out of 2x4 welded wire from TSC and a t-post. They are cheap and work great. A water tote frame works too. I prefer cottonseed over protein because RACCOONS DON'T EAT IT! Water doesn't ruin it either. I'm not sure exactly how much 3'x 5' will hold, but it's close to 350-400 lbs I think. I hope this helps. I will post a couple pics of one of my feeders.
^^^What he said^^^
No way on earth I would tote CS in bags
RascalArms is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-12-2018, 10:31 AM   #11
Randallc
Four Point

This is great information, thanks guys!
Old 12-12-2018, 10:32 AM   #12
Randallc
Four Point

How do the hogs like it? Should I put it in one of my pens?
Old 12-12-2018, 06:07 PM   #13
RascalArms
Pope & Young

Default Cottonseed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randallc View Post
How do the hogs like it? Should I put it in one of my pens?
We donít have hogs but I donít know of just a whole lot of things a **** hog wonít eat.
Iíve heard itís hard for them to digest....but Iíd bet theyíd eat the crap out of it!!
Old 12-16-2018, 10:39 PM   #14
oscare66
Spike

Hunt In: Benavides,TX

Cotten seed is the way to go
oscare66 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-16-2018, 11:11 PM   #15
MasterOfNothing
Eight Point

Hunt In: Starr county

https://youtu.be/I8pNxtiA07k

I put this link on a cottonseed thread a couple months ago, but I didn't get any responses on it. I think it had a lot of interesting information. I'm new to deer hunting, as well as this forum, so I've been doing as much research as I can to help me understand deer better. Apparently there a chemical called gossypol in cottonseed that causes sterility in deer, so feeding cottonseed year round can affect fawn crop. I don't know if this helps, but it might be something you want to look into.
MasterOfNothing is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-16-2018, 11:29 PM   #16
bbqfan5909
Ten Point

In a free range condition I don’t see Bucks being sterl.
bbqfan5909 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-16-2018, 11:41 PM   #17
RascalArms
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterOfNothing View Post
https://youtu.be/I8pNxtiA07k

I put this link on a cottonseed thread a couple months ago, but I didn't get any responses on it. I think it had a lot of interesting information. I'm new to deer hunting, as well as this forum, so I've been doing as much research as I can to help me understand deer better. Apparently there a chemical called gossypol in cottonseed that causes sterility in deer, so feeding cottonseed year round can affect fawn crop. I don't know if this helps, but it might be something you want to look into.
Cottonseed and the gossypol sterility issue has been discussed many times on here. Type in ďcottonseedĒ in the search bar and you will see lots of info.

We stop feeding around Labor Day before the rut just to be safe as a precaution because yes, some studies show that large amounts of cottonseed ingested by deer can cause them to be temporarily sterile. I also believe most of these studies have been studies in pen raised deer who's diets consists of almost 100% cottonseed. I understand that deer exposed to more natural browse arenít as impacted.
Old 12-18-2018, 11:37 AM   #18
Mike Murphey
Pope & Young

We have fed cotton seed for 6 years, about 6-10 tons per year. Yes it works putting on weight on the animals. But remember it is only a supplement to the other things white-tails eat. Cotton seed and protein pellets can help your herd but it can also create a false load of animals on your area, (bringing in more animals from your neighbors). this can put more hurt on your pastures with more animals on your property.
don't worry about having your bucks go sterile as the deer will be eating more browse than cotton seed, unless you have penned deer.
We get our cotton seed from Cape and Son's as they have cotton mills contracted and can keep the cost better for you. They can be reached at 325-673-6206
Mike Murphey is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-18-2018, 11:49 AM   #19
Birddog66
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas

I tried it once, the deer loved it. Only problem, the cows loved it even more, busted through my feed pen to get it twice. I stopped.
Birddog66 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-18-2018, 12:04 PM   #20
honchogrande2
Spike

Hunt In: Goliad

Quote:
Originally Posted by RascalArms View Post
We donít have hogs but I donít know of just a whole lot of things a **** hog wonít eat.
Iíve heard itís hard for them to digest....but Iíd bet theyíd eat the crap out of it!!
I tried it this year. You will need to net wire your feeder pens. We don't hardly see pigs, but when I checked my game cam It was full of pigs! They didn't leave until all my seed was gone!!!! Not a deer one on the pictures.
honchogrande2 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-22-2018, 07:55 AM   #21
BCHUNTER
Nubbin' Buck

Hunt In: Rocksprings,Snook Tx

Guys just want to give a heads up on the cotton seed this year. With all the crazy weather we have had this year there is a possibility the seed could contain Aflatoxin. I never even thought about this. I usually buy some to feed my cows and deer each year. I was given the heads up by a cotton farmer in our area. He said if you got your seed at the start of the harvest there shouldn't be any problems. Its the cotton that has sat in the fields from all the flooding and has been stressed you need to worry about. Just thought I would give a heads up.
BCHUNTER is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-31-2019, 12:11 PM   #22
Rcm
Four Point

Hunt In: young county

We just started feeding cotton seed this year between Newcastle and throckmorton the feed store in graham has some as of now, 50 lbs bags.
Rcm is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-31-2019, 09:22 PM   #23
deerwatcher51
Ten Point

Hunt In: Richland Springs & Washington on the Brazos

Quote:
Originally Posted by deerwatcher51 View Post
I started cottonseed for the first time last year. I was to late to find any in bulk and ended up buying cottonseed in sacks. I bought a half a ton to start and in sacks it was about the same cost as protein. I filled the wire feeders in January along with the protein feeders. I feed protein year round. If I remember correctly, you can put about 350 lbs in each wire feeder. From January through June, the cottonseed basically went untouched, but they were hitting the protein pretty heavily. In July, it was like a switch was flipped and they started hammering the cottonseed. I ended up buying another half ton and they ate all of that by the end of August. My plan this year is to let the protein run out and fill the cottonseed feeders and have that be their only option for January and February. I bought a high sided trailer and have already picked up three tons of bulk cottonseed from the nearest gin, which was 90 miles away. As far as finding cottonseed, I would google "Cotton Gins" and see the ones nearest you. Call them and see if they have any available. Now is probably the best time to find some. Later on they will either not have any more or will have contracted out what they have. I hope this helps.
Update...my deer are eating 50-75 lbs per day.
deerwatcher51 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-31-2019, 10:11 PM   #24
Hoss163
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Oklahoma

Has anybody tried the cotton seed mixed with corn and persimmon are licorice flavored?
Hoss163 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-20-2019, 09:22 PM   #25
Charlie
Six Point

Hunt In: Edwards County

I decided to feed cottonseed for the first time and filled three home-made feeders two weeks ago. I checked on them today and they were completely empty. I guess it did not take long for the deer to find it. I am guessing all three feeders hold about 1,000 pounds total.
Attached Images

Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-20-2019, 09:24 PM   #26
Charlie
Six Point

I plan to devise a better way to haul it next time. The bulk bags are not convenient.
Attached Images

Old 02-20-2019, 09:28 PM   #27
Royal21973
Eight Point

Hunt In: Deep South Texas and will travel

Do it!!! Start Now. You won't be disappointed. It will take a while for some deer to hit it, but when they do watch out. It will go fast. Our deer look healthier, lot more kicker points with more mass, and body weight went up.
Royal21973 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-20-2019, 09:34 PM   #28
Charlie
Six Point

Wish the Axis would let the whitetail have more of it. The date is wrong on the camera.
Attached Images

Old 02-20-2019, 09:50 PM   #29
Low Fence
Pope & Young

I have a feeder about what you mentioned and I’d guess it to hold 400-450. Never could get deer to touch it last year. Finally hogs ate it all. Moved it to a new property about a month ago.... so far untouched. Deer walk past it daily

In throckmorton I think I can feed it to deer by hand. Can’t feed it fast enough
Low Fence is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-21-2019, 09:48 PM   #30
joel45acp
Eight Point

Hunt In: Land Baron in Rocksprings TX

You guys get you CS near Rocksprings? Planning on feeding it at our new place very soon. Charlie where in RS are you? Our place is off of Hwy 41 one mile south on CR230.
joel45acp is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-22-2019, 02:15 PM   #31
breeds13
Nubbin' Buck

Hunt In: Ozona, Tx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
I plan to devise a better way to haul it next time. The bulk bags are not convenient.
Where did you find the bulk bags? And how much?
breeds13 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-22-2019, 02:17 PM   #32
breeds13
Nubbin' Buck

Hunt In: Ozona, Tx

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntlerCollector View Post
Where do you buy from in El Dorado? I have a lease in Ozona and have been looking for a place to buy in bulk on the way driving from San Antonio.
breeds13 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-22-2019, 11:55 PM   #33
RascalArms
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by breeds13 View Post
Where do you buy from in El Dorado? I have a lease in Ozona and have been looking for a place to buy in bulk on the way driving from San Antonio.
Mooreís Ranch Wildlife Feed. About 15 miles west of Eldorado on 190. Call Mike Moore @ 325-650-0841 and he can give you pricing.
Old 02-23-2019, 12:49 AM   #34
Charlie
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by joel45acp View Post
You guys get you CS near Rocksprings? Planning on feeding it at our new place very soon. Charlie where in RS are you? Our place is off of Hwy 41 one mile south on CR230.
I bought cottonseed in Batesville, about 20 miles south of Uvalde.

My place is about 15 miles north of Rocksprings, just south of the Edwards - Sutton County line. I take Ranch Road 2630 north and then turn onto the Taylor Ranch Road
Old 02-23-2019, 12:58 AM   #35
Charlie
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by breeds13 View Post
Where did you find the bulk bags? And how much?
I bought those bags on eBay. They were $22 each. I wonít use them again. Next time I will set up 4X8 sheets of plywood as walls on my 20 foot trailer and have the cottonseed dumped directly into the trailer. And then I will put a tarp over the top. Itís time consuming and labor intensive to fill the bags and then shovel the cottonseed out of the bags.
Old 02-25-2019, 08:46 AM   #36
antonlsu
Six Point

Hunt In: Victoria TX & SW MO

Anyone have data on where to grab Cottenseed near Victoria, or en route from Houston?
antonlsu is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top