Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Game Management/Age & Score/Trailcam Pics

Old 02-06-2019, 10:32 PM   #2301
HappyM
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas

Legato, awesome thread and very informative. I have been looking at the various Notill equipment on the market. Any words of wisdom on important features and maintenance considerations?
HappyM is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-06-2019, 10:55 PM   #2302
ethic1
Eight Point

Awesome!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ethic1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-06-2019, 10:57 PM   #2303
elgato
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyM View Post
Legato, awesome thread and very informative. I have been looking at the various Notill equipment on the market. Any words of wisdom on important features and maintenance considerations?
THanks,

Yes, couple thoughts to consider. I find having a small seed box along with the bigger hopper invaluable. Allows you to plant larger seeds ...wheat rye etc along with clovers and other small seeds effectively. Be sure your tractor can pull the drill . They are a load.Not sure how you plan to terminate the crops you are drilling to but coordinating width has value. I use 8' roller crimper and 8' drill.

Start studying cover cropping now. Lots of great resources and the drill is perfect for multi specie plantings.Buy a copy o fDirt to Soil by Gabe Brown. You tube Ray the soil guy and Dave Brandt . Sell your disc.

Keep notes every time you plant on settings. The seed size does change a little each yr and settings are important. Keep up with the acreage meter each time you plant on each field. I find it best to put the exact amount of seed to the specific field each time even if it means more frequent refilling especially if you are doing multiple cultivars.
I could go on . Let me know any specific questions . The drill is one of my best investments ever!

Last edited by elgato; 02-06-2019 at 11:01 PM.
elgato is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-09-2019, 10:03 AM   #2304
camoclad
Six Point

Hunt In: central tx

i bought a woods "drill" from cabelas a few years ago thinking about doing what you have done on your farm. i wish i had seen this thread before the purchase. im rethinking things and would love to get my hands on a genesis drill by RTP. after all the research and trial and error with the equipment thats out there i think RTP might have nailed this market (land managers as opposed to farmer geared equipment). they even offer a roller crimper with that land management philosophy in mind.
camoclad is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-09-2019, 11:04 AM   #2305
elgato
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by camoclad View Post
i bought a woods "drill" from cabelas a few years ago thinking about doing what you have done on your farm. i wish i had seen this thread before the purchase. im rethinking things and would love to get my hands on a genesis drill by RTP. after all the research and trial and error with the equipment thats out there i think RTP might have nailed this market (land managers as opposed to farmer geared equipment). they even offer a roller crimper with that land management philosophy in mind.
I just looked at the Genesis drill website and the video by Dr. Grant Woods. I like his work and have kept up with him for a while learning a lot. The drill looks great. Again an important key is matching drill size to tractor size. Also in the video the drill he was using did not have a small seed box. I think that very valuable and something you may want to consider. Once you have the drill big fun begins when you start to explore all the blends and things you can do with it.
Old 02-09-2019, 11:55 AM   #2306
camoclad
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by elgato View Post
I just looked at the Genesis drill website and the video by Dr. Grant Woods. I like his work and have kept up with him for a while learning a lot. The drill looks great. Again an important key is matching drill size to tractor size. Also in the video the drill he was using did not have a small seed box. I think that very valuable and something you may want to consider. Once you have the drill big fun begins when you start to explore all the blends and things you can do with it.
Thanks for the advice Elgato. On our farm, the dream is a seamless rotation of notill cool/warm, cover crop/food plots that benefits wildlife/soil health/livestock/water quality all the while suppressing competing undesirable vegetation and limiting the impact of draught and flood years (as much as could be reasonably expected) year in and out. Easy enough right?

Finding that right rotation and blend as you stated above seems to be a knowledge our great grandfathers would know but we are just re-discovering. Im years into the process and feel like I'm just scratching the surface... your light years ahead. Thanks again for sharing.
Old 02-09-2019, 12:09 PM   #2307
elgato
Ten Point

Quote:
Thanks for the advice Elgato. On our farm, the dream is a seamless rotation of notill cool/warm, cover crop/food plots that benefits wildlife/soil health/livestock/water quality all the while suppressing competing undesirable vegetation and limiting the impact of draught and flood years (as much as could be reasonably expected) year in and out. Easy enough right?

Finding that right rotation and blend as you stated above seems to be a knowledge our great grandfathers would know but we are just re-discovering. Im years into the process and feel like I'm just scratching the surface... your light years ahead. Thanks again for sharing.
We have much in common!. This year I'm going to experiment going completely organic on a few fields. The only thing I use now is a little gly before spring planting but I'm cutting that out to see if a 7 way thick cover can get ahead of weeds and grasses effectively. I don't mind a few weeds as I see the deer eating them too.

Haven't used synthetic fertilizer in years and have never used pesticides fungicides or any other chemicals. Going out to video a few of the fall fields today and plan to post you tube video link if I can figure out how...a big step for an old red neck from rural La.
Old 02-09-2019, 02:09 PM   #2308
camoclad
Six Point

Quote:
We have much in common!. This year I'm going to experiment going completely organic on a few fields. The only thing I use now is a little gly before spring planting but I'm cutting that out to see if a 7 way thick cover can get ahead of weeds and grasses effectively. I don't mind a few weeds as I see the deer eating them too.

Haven't used synthetic fertilizer in years and have never used pesticides fungicides or any other chemicals. Going out to video a few of the fall fields today and plan to post you tube video link if I can figure out how...a big step for an old red neck from rural La.
Excited to see your results, and looking forward to the YouTube channel. I'm also going to check out the resources you mentioned above. I'm no scientist and not the first to say this but I'm starting to firmly believe the key to healthy herds is in the soil...
Old 02-11-2019, 11:53 PM   #2309
HappyM
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas

Elgato, so I appreciate this thread and it has really made me rethink a number of “practices” we have used for quite a while. I have not sold my disc ... yet, but I am starting on my notill journey this spring. We have a number of resource limitations but I believe the 2 most deficient are organic matter in the soil and infiltration rates. Would you have any suggestions for a starter blend that has worked for you ?
HappyM is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-12-2019, 06:44 AM   #2310
GLM
Eight Point

Hunt In: East Texas

How do we find your videos on You Tube? I can’t find them under Elgato. Thanks!
GLM is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-12-2019, 09:57 AM   #2311
elgato
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLM View Post
How do we find your videos on You Tube? I can’t find them under Elgato. Thanks!
Well.....that is a great question. I am creating a few videos as we speak but waiting on our millennial to show me how to create a channel and maximize viewing. Might take another week or so but thanks for your interest.
Old 02-12-2019, 10:17 AM   #2312
elgato
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyM View Post
Elgato, so I appreciate this thread and it has really made me rethink a number of “practices” we have used for quite a while. I have not sold my disc ... yet, but I am starting on my notill journey this spring. We have a number of resource limitations but I believe the 2 most deficient are organic matter in the soil and infiltration rates. Would you have any suggestions for a starter blend that has worked for you ?
Thank you,

An easy 'starter ' summer blend might be cow peas, soy beans, sunflower...and maybe grain sorghum. For fun you go to a site called " Green Cover Seed"
They have a mix calculator thats neat to play with .

Good luck
Old 02-12-2019, 10:22 AM   #2313
camoclad
Six Point

Quote:
Thank you,

An easy 'starter ' summer blend might be cow peas, soy beans, sunflower...and maybe grain sorghum. For fun you go to a site called " Green Cover Seed"
They have a mix calculator thats neat to play with .

Good luck
Elgato, have you ever looked into the "three sisters" approach for a summer blend? I've been reading a bit about this old time agriculture approach of complementary crop planting.
Old 02-12-2019, 10:08 PM   #2314
Mr Sid
Six Point

Quote:
Well.....that is a great question. I am creating a few videos as we speak but waiting on our millennial to show me how to create a channel and maximize viewing. Might take another week or so but thanks for your interest.

Mr. Baker, I watch a lot of u tube, a great learning tool (and entertainment)for a GOF like me. Please post when your videos are available. Thank you

Mr Sid is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-12-2019, 11:31 PM   #2315
ethic1
Eight Point

I can’t wait for videos

ethic1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-13-2019, 10:09 AM   #2316
bowhunter_2
Eight Point

Hunt In: Kinney Co

Quote:
First shed of the year 87 4/8" with 24 6/8" mass A 5 yr old I think
That mass is insane. Really like that palmation in the G2 as well. Incredible shed for sure!
bowhunter_2 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-13-2019, 10:45 AM   #2317
elgato
Ten Point

Quote:
Elgato, have you ever looked into the "three sisters" approach for a summer blend? I've been reading a bit about this old time agriculture approach of complementary crop planting.
Yes, we planted about 10 acres of that [ squash beans corn ] on a property I'm involved with up in north La. Did great. The deer busted open the squash eating the inside . I suspect coons, coyotes and hogs helped. But what was interesting to me was the doves poured in for the squash seed that was left. Made for good opening season dove hunting. Didn't see that coming.
Old 02-13-2019, 05:06 PM   #2318
elgato
Ten Point

My 23 yr old son comes to town in town from LSU in about 10 days and we are going to set up a you tube channel. I have questions?????Should I have one channel and post video from both the farm and the ranch? If so what is a good name that would fit the project? Life on a recreational farm?? Life on a wildlife farm? Or any other ideas that connect the title to the content?

Or should there be 2 channels??? A year in the life of a farm? { I wonder if this has enough connectivity meaning to make sense to a larger audience'? The bucks of El Gato? Though this one seems narrow to me.

Any thoughts, ideas or help for both title and anything else from those more experienced with youtube and related types media appreciated.

My intention is to show video of all the activities and lifestyle we do on the farm as seen on this site as well as including video taken from the ranch as well. Ranch stuff is mostly hunting/bucks though I can expand that as the new year unfolds.

Thanks in advance for any input
Old 02-13-2019, 05:25 PM   #2319
bowkill1978
Four Point

Hunt In: MS and LA

Quote:
My 23 yr old son comes to town in town from LSU in about 10 days and we are going to set up a you tube channel. I have questions?????Should I have one channel and post video from both the farm and the ranch? If so what is a good name that would fit the project? Life on a recreational farm?? Life on a wildlife farm? Or any other ideas that connect the title to the content?

Or should there be 2 channels??? A year in the life of a farm? { I wonder if this has enough connectivity meaning to make sense to a larger audience'? The bucks of El Gato? Though this one seems narrow to me.

Any thoughts, ideas or help for both title and anything else from those more experienced with youtube and related types media appreciated.

My intention is to show video of all the activities and lifestyle we do on the farm as seen on this site as well as including video taken from the ranch as well. Ranch stuff is mostly hunting/bucks though I can expand that as the new year unfolds.

Thanks in advance for any input

This is going to be good!!
bowkill1978 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-13-2019, 05:25 PM   #2320
Puncher51
Ten Point

Hunt In: Mason, Callahan, and Stonewall Counties

I’m not good at this sort of stuff so I’m not much help. Since the two places are such different places and different management then two separate channels may be best. Especially for someone who isn’t as aware that you have two places. For me though, one would be great since it would be easier for me to follow along. Either way though I can’t wait to subscribe!
Puncher51 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-13-2019, 05:26 PM   #2321
Puncher51
Ten Point

Last edited by Puncher51; 02-13-2019 at 05:27 PM. Reason: Double post
Old 02-15-2019, 08:10 PM   #2322
LHPanther
Eight Point

I’d say keep all content under one name. It will be very easy for the viewer to check out all your videos with ease. Your video titles should make it very easy for the viewer to figure out what you’re doing and where you are.
LHPanther is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-16-2019, 04:57 PM   #2323
camoclad
Six Point

Quote:
Yes, we planted about 10 acres of that [ squash beans corn ] on a property I'm involved with up in north La. Did great. The deer busted open the squash eating the inside . I suspect coons, coyotes and hogs helped. But what was interesting to me was the doves poured in for the squash seed that was left. Made for good opening season dove hunting. Didn't see that coming.
sweeeeet
Old 02-16-2019, 05:15 PM   #2324
camoclad
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHPanther View Post
I’d say keep all content under one name. It will be very easy for the viewer to check out all your videos with ease. Your video titles should make it very easy for the viewer to figure out what you’re doing and where you are.
agree

if this was a typical hunting show production on one of those channels you would have to name it "The Farm - Extreme Soils Exposed" or "A Year in the Life of a Farm - Pro Edition. Extreme" idk, something like that with electric guitars and jacked up 4x4's and such... Seriously, your doing stuff very few hunter/conservationist are doing (or at least very few people are sharing) so the title should reflect that. maybe "A _____ County Almanac", "____ Acres and a No-till Drill", "Soils to Antlers, Diary of a Modern Conservationist Farm". not very good at this
Old 02-17-2019, 12:24 AM   #2325
Mr Sid
Six Point

Mr. Baker, I think one channel with a format similar to Dr. Woods’ channel, Growing Deer TV, would work. Of course, his channel has a commercial lean due to the sponsors. Good luck, keep us posted.

Mr Sid is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-17-2019, 08:41 AM   #2326
Tshelly
Ten Point

Hunt In: Walker, Montgomery, Trinity, & Lee
Default A year in the life of a farm

“Whitetail Wisdom”

I like whitetail wisdom. It’s a farm/wildlife/ranch based channel but the end goal is whitetails... I think lol.

I agree that one channel would work best. Preface video for Louisiana and Mexico at the beginning with names.

For example:

Old Mexico: Tactics for supplemental feeding

Creole Country: no till drill tips

Some other channel names
The Life of a Farm
Ranch and Wildlife 101
Southern Farming and Whitetails

It can be called anything under the sun and we’ll still all subscribe. I think the one thing to think about when naming your channel is what audience do you want to attract (outside of tbh family) and in someway incorporate that.

Tshelly is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-17-2019, 01:11 PM   #2327
lovemylegacy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: SETx,La,Il,Ks,Mo

One channel, divided into separate titles. It would be easier to keep track of all the info that way.
lovemylegacy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-18-2019, 02:25 AM   #2328
monsterspike
Ten Point

one channel. "bucks that will make you puke blood!"
monsterspike is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-18-2019, 02:27 PM   #2329
El General
Ten Point

Hunt In: Coke County

One Channel:

El Gato's Farm and Ranch
El General is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-18-2019, 06:58 PM   #2330
elgato
Ten Point

Awesome, I've been traveling since last Thursday arriving home today to see all the posts. Great and helpful stuff.I will go with one channel with the name to be determined.The name probably won't include puking blood, Rusty's racks or such renditions not that those aren't good ideas but I want to be more general. I'll title the specific posts with a lot of detail describing what the video is about.

Certainly there will be deer video and mgt. projects and processes but I want to attract a broader audience by including everything we do...builder richer more fertile soil, organic gardening, bees and honey, pollinator gardens, meat processing, herb gardening, timber mgt., ...and the list goes on.

Thanks again for all the help and ideas. Couple video's already made, channel launch after this weekend
Old 02-19-2019, 07:55 AM   #2331
Jtrisler
Six Point

Hunt In: Harrisonburg, La and Brown County, Illinois

Land and Wildlife Management on Bayou Rigolette. HA! Look forward to the videos Mr. Rusty.
Jtrisler is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-20-2019, 07:13 AM   #2332
Reaper87
Ten Point

Hunt In: Lee county, Mason county

Awesome rusty. I’ll be sure to tune in. Sounds like it’s going to be a great learning tool.
Reaper87 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-23-2019, 02:38 AM   #2333
IkemanTX
Ten Point

Hunt In: Caddo

Quote:
Now we are having fun. Roller crimping an 11 acre field of sunn hemp, cow peas, soy beans, buck wheat and sunflower. This has been a huge success feeding lots of deer. Many of our very best bucks have been hanging around this field. The cow peas have climbed to the top of the sunn hemp which is taller than the tractor.

We will let sit a few days the spray and plant with rye, radishes and crimson. There is a 9 acre field adjacent to this that was planted in wheat and radishes a week ago and is already up doing well. So there will always be something on the table.

Maybe some one with better skills can rotate the pic.

Elgato, is this mix similar to Whitetail Institute’s “powerplant”?

IkemanTX is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-23-2019, 12:25 PM   #2334
elgato
Ten Point

I had to look up to see what was in PowerPLant. Didn't see all the cultivars but noticed they used vining soybeans.They are great but I use regular soy beans and cow peas. The cow peas crawl up the sun hemp and sunflowers. Couple reasons I don't use vining soy beans include that I terminate this mix sometime in Sept. to plant the fall crop. You lose some of the value of vining soybeans because they will keep growing to frost which around here may be mid/late Oct. Vining soybeans are more expensive than regular soy beans. By August the beans I plant have matured beans which are heavily grazed.

I don't know what the rates of each specie they put in power plant nor all the different species so I cant compare to what I do exactly. But it looks similar. I'm willing to bet that mixing as I do is cheaper that buying BOB.
Old 02-23-2019, 11:14 PM   #2335
elgato
Ten Point

Maiden voyage folks. Just trying to figure out how to do all this. Here's an intro.I'll keep practicing and expand the scope. Will finish video #2 tomorrow, then do one with bucks from the farm.
https://youtu.be/4TDTq8v0ZME
Old 02-23-2019, 11:33 PM   #2336
triple_duece
Four Point

Hunt In: Louisiana, Midwest

Awesome stuff. I will be impatiently following along. Thank you much for sharing
triple_duece is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-23-2019, 11:35 PM   #2337
BolilloLoco
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Old Mexico, Washington County & Mason County

Quote:
Maiden voyage folks. Just trying to figure out how to do all this. Here's an intro.I'll keep practicing and expand the scope. Will finish video #2 tomorrow, then do one with bucks from the farm.
https://youtu.be/4TDTq8v0ZME
Lookin good!!!!
I’m in!!!
BolilloLoco is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-23-2019, 11:40 PM   #2338
LHPanther
Eight Point

Awesome stuff Rusty. Can’t wait to see your content
LHPanther is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-24-2019, 12:30 AM   #2339
Puncher51
Ten Point

I love the intro!! Going to be awesome!
Old 02-24-2019, 12:02 PM   #2340
bgleaton
Ten Point

Hunt In: Menard County, TX

Very cool! I can't wait to see more videos.
bgleaton is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-24-2019, 12:11 PM   #2341
Sticks&Strings
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by triple_duece View Post
Awesome stuff. I will be impatiently following along. Thank you much for sharing
Lol. Same here. I'm ready for about 20- hour long videos. Get to work Rusty, lol. Thanks for doing it as I know it is time consuming.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Sticks&Strings is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-24-2019, 03:21 PM   #2342
elgato
Ten Point

Round two; still practicing

https://youtu.be/7hHNYFERnws

Last edited by elgato; 02-24-2019 at 03:26 PM.
Old 02-24-2019, 03:39 PM   #2343
Puncher51
Ten Point

Excellent information!! Just when I didn’t think this thread could get any better, you knocked it out of the park!
Old 02-24-2019, 03:47 PM   #2344
drslonghorn
Six Point

Hunt In: West Texas

Quote:

Great job Rusty, I’m subscribed!
drslonghorn is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-24-2019, 04:09 PM   #2345
dope hunter
Ten Point

Hunt In: Throckmorton

Subscribed

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
dope hunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-24-2019, 04:21 PM   #2346
IkemanTX
Ten Point

Hunt In: Caddo

Quote:

Subscribed and set to receive alerts. I’m really excited you decided to start a channel.

IkemanTX is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-24-2019, 08:35 PM   #2347
elgato
Ten Point

Thanks everyone. I'm having fun with this and learning a lot. This is all new to this gof. Will keep working to improve quality.
Old 02-24-2019, 10:02 PM   #2348
J&M Hamilton10
Associate Sponsor

Hunt In: Freestone

great stuff will subscribe for sure.
J&M Hamilton10 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-24-2019, 11:13 PM   #2349
Mountaineer
Eight Point

Hunt In: WV,SD, Hunt co

Thanks for taking the time to do this. Very interesting with the increased daikon size for the earlier planted plot. Subscribed.
Mountaineer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-25-2019, 09:43 AM   #2350
GLM
Eight Point

Hunt In: East Texas

Quote:

Thanks for taking the time to share your knowledge. Looking forward to more videos!
GLM is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top