Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Current Events - Politics and Such

Old 01-25-2019, 12:41 PM   #1
RiverRat1
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba
Default Air traffic controllers going to food banks!

LOL.. I swear the media is getting so stupid it feels like I'm dreaming.

What percent of idiots watching TV believe that air traffic controllers who make 125k per year have to take their families to homeless shelters for food after missing one paycheck?

Then I heard the media saying they had to get second jobs, like waiting tables, to make ends meet LOL

Would it even be possible to make that much money and blow every penny without having something to fall back on or pawn off?
RiverRat1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-25-2019, 12:44 PM   #2
BrianL
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Lamar and Dickens

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverRat1 View Post

What percent of idiots watching TV believe that air traffic controllers who make 125k per year have to take their families to homeless shelters for food after missing one paycheck?

Then I heard the media saying they had to get second jobs, like waiting tables, to make ends meet LOL

Would it even be possible to make that much money and blow every penny without having something to fall back on or pawn off?
yes it would. I see it all the time.
BrianL is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-25-2019, 01:16 PM   #3
JustinJ
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Baylor County,Collin County

Lots of controllers make way less than 125k
JustinJ is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-25-2019, 01:21 PM   #4
Man
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Nacogdoches,Tx

Who are these air traffic controllers going to food bank? What are their names? Let us dig further into them for 5 seconds to show you why their REALLY in the situation their in
Man is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-25-2019, 01:23 PM   #5
texansfan
Ten Point

Hunt In: South Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinJ View Post
Lots of controllers make way less than 125k
Not just that but 125k in DC is not the same as 125K in Jasper.
There are folks that make $200k per year and if they miss two paychecks they are screwed.
Too big of a mortgage.
2 kids at AWTY or Kincaid
Boat payment
2 luxury cars
Supporting in-laws
Law/Medical school tuition loans

And the list goes on
texansfan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-25-2019, 01:25 PM   #6
texansfan
Ten Point

Hunt In: South Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man View Post
Who are these air traffic controllers going to food bank? What are their names? Let us dig further into them for 5 seconds to show you why their REALLY in the situation their in
Easy.
Becausethey didn't get their last paycheck as they expected.
I won't go to a food bank if I missed two paychecks but I won't say that my household won't notice.
I have the same amount of output but receive zero input?
Yeah, my checking account will notice.
texansfan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-25-2019, 01:27 PM   #7
Traildust
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Looking!

Better them than illegals!
Traildust is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-25-2019, 01:37 PM   #8
BrianL
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Lamar and Dickens

125K while a good income, if it is a single income family that money will be gone fast if there is a mortgage, 2 car payments, insurance, taxes, and normal monthly bills. It would probably take 2-3 months disposable income to cover monthly fixed cost. This is why financial advisers always want 6 months wages in reserve. But I rarely see anyone with more than a couple months savings that is liquid. 95% probably in the same boat as those controllers.
BrianL is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-25-2019, 01:47 PM   #9
diamond10x
Ten Point

Hunt In: Kinney and Bexar counties

Govt employees not getting paychecks... name ONE financial institute/bank that would not approve them of a loan in the amount of their paycheck with little to zero interest. Media like always trying to paint their narrative.
diamond10x is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-25-2019, 02:31 PM   #10
batmaninja
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hill Country

What about the guys in the oil patch or coal, that get laid off because of the government?

You know like as a direct result of government regulation.

“We're going to put a lot of coal miners and coal companies out of business.” Said Hillary Clinton.
batmaninja is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-25-2019, 02:34 PM   #11
stykshooter
Ten Point

Hunt In: S. Dakota, Nebraska & Texas

Quote:

Some airports are operated by private or contracted personal those companies are not being paid & employees are not paid scale. High traffic cities & what sector you work dictates your pay, I retired (after 26 years) from ATC Miami Center where aircraft take off & land every 45 seconds. Staring pay 12 years ago 70K to 180K
stykshooter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-25-2019, 02:34 PM   #12
150class
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Uvalde, Boerne

I know a couple of air traffic controllers and they don’t make anywhere near 125k
But at the same time they are still paid enough to not have to resort to a food bank.
150class is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-25-2019, 02:46 PM   #13
sir shovelhands
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas

Quote:

While the average is right around the number you specified, trainees can be paid less than $20k a year, and entry level positions can be as low as 30-60K / yr. So it'll be the newer guys who have the most trouble.
sir shovelhands is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-25-2019, 07:15 PM   #14
flywise
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Blanco, Nacadoches,NewMexico,Colorado

I doubt there were more than a handful of the thousands around the country. Lots of folks live well beyond their means.
flywise is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-25-2019, 11:25 PM   #15
sbushee
Ten Point

Hunt In: The Outside

Quote:
Originally Posted by texansfan View Post
There are folks that make $200k per year and if they miss two paychecks they are screwed.
Too big of a mortgage.
Boat payment
2 luxury cars
Supporting in-laws

And the list goes on
Thatís terrible money management. Nothing to do with where they live
sbushee is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-26-2019, 10:04 AM   #16
stickerpatch59
Pope & Young

Hunt In: gonzales, and....

Quote:
Originally Posted by texansfan View Post
Too big of a mortgage.
Boat payment
2 luxury cars
Supporting in-laws

And the list goes on
isn't this called living above your means?
but I guess they can always quit that sucky job and get one in the private sector where everything is cushy and for sure. and pays you what you're worth.
stickerpatch59 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-26-2019, 10:05 AM   #17
RiverRat1
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by stickerpatch59 View Post
isn't this called living above your means?
but I guess they can always quit that sucky job and get one in the private sector where everything is cushy and for sure. and pays you what you're worth.
In other words it's their own fault for being stupid.
Old 01-27-2019, 06:08 PM   #18
Landrover
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wherever & Whenever

"Approximately 78% of Americans live paycheck to paycheck." That is horribly amazing but quite intriguing!!!
There are people $50k with more disposable income than many with $150k. That alone proves it is not the chosen career or job , it is truly a function of lifestyle (debt). Three interesting points from a macroeconomic position came from all of this for me: consumer debt is still way out of control over the last 25 years, if a majority of households cannot function without 30 days of pay we are seriously in jeopardy as a nation, and lastly Dave Ramsey will gain thousands of new listerners........which has to be a bright spot on this dark road we are on. Hard to internalize alot of this situation when our economy is considered the best in the last 10 or 12 years.....something is off kilter?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Landrover is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-27-2019, 06:12 PM   #19
oktx
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wise County

Where are the "Should have planned ahead" folks? They sure showed up when the oilfield crashed.
oktx is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-27-2019, 06:30 PM   #20
RiverRat1
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by oktx View Post
Where are the "Should have planned ahead" folks? They sure showed up when the oilfield crashed.
LOL This and who doesn't have enough on a credit card to make it two weeks without pay?
Old 01-27-2019, 08:23 PM   #21
Leverhunter
Six Point

A lot of the junior faa types don't make anywhere close to 125. Young with families and one income and maybe not much available credit. There is a lot more of them in that situation than you think.
Leverhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-27-2019, 09:02 PM   #22
batmaninja
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hill Country

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landrover View Post
"Approximately 78% of Americans live paycheck to paycheck." That is horribly amazing but quite intriguing!!!

I would be pretty surprised if nearly 8 out of 10 Americans, go to work so that they would even qualify to receive a pay check.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
batmaninja is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-27-2019, 09:09 PM   #23
Acameron52
Ten Point

Hunt In: Coleman

I’m just a dumb ole fireman that makes a lot less than that and if we shut down tomorrow I’d be fine for a while. If you’re not smart enough to save a little money for rainy days I don’t know what to tell you.
Acameron52 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-27-2019, 09:09 PM   #24
MLAH
Four Point

My experience comes from working many years for the agency. And continually dealing with the controllers and their very pampered ways and backed up by their union NATCA. Lets speak of a “racket” they work position for a total of 4 hours out of eight. The off position time is crew rest, computer games and generally lounging around it’s the “stress” of the job they so fearlessly defend. Very interesting generally not publicly discussed the education level of the controller. High School diploma and the average salary at my retirement was the $130K medium. Speak of toys then simply visit the ARTCC Center at DFW or the ARTCC And control towers view the parking lots you will quickly see High End vehicles Lamborghini’s, Mercedes, BMW’s high end fully decked out pickups.

Let me be very clear for I’m sure to be contradicted what a person who works and makes a living and receives money for their services this is their money to spend any way they see fit. For any controller to get on the National news and with NATCA chiming in only strengthens my confirmed believe basically they are nothing more than a bunch of over paid spoiled whinny children who can’t manage their finances.
MLAH is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top