Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Game Management/Age & Score/Trailcam Pics

Old 12-30-2018, 12:49 PM   #1
Beargrasstx
Eight Point

Hunt In: Leon County, Robertson County, and Limestone County....Montana-Colorado
Default Successful Food Plots

What has been your best food plot where you hunt? By best, I mean deer preference

Location?
Crop?

Leon County
Oats/rye grass (I am looking to try some new stuff, didn't get to plant a food plot this season)

Speaking of, I am looking for a used grain drill 6ft wide.

If there was a way to easily document this information and have access to your records year after year on your phone or computer through the internet, would you use it? With the ability to share these records with a group of people(friends, family, lease members, neighbors). I thought it would be cool to keep track of food plots to discover what grew better on a certain property or a crop deer preferred over another over different hunting locations. Which in turn, I thought that would be useful information to be able to share, as long, as those I am sharing with are doing the same.

Last edited by Beargrasstx; 12-30-2018 at 12:57 PM.
Beargrasstx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-30-2018, 12:58 PM   #2
lovemylegacy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: SETx,La,Il,Ks,Mo

I have settled on a blend developed by LSU, it is a very good blend. Deer keep it ate down and it keeps growing. I also over seed with Winter Wheat just to give the blend some protection.

Its pretty too.

Name:  2018-10-25 14-20-55 M 2_3.jpg
Views: 1217
Size:  73.7 KB
lovemylegacy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-30-2018, 01:25 PM   #3
T-roy66
Eight Point

Hunt In: East Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemylegacy View Post
I have settled on a blend developed by LSU, it is a very good blend. Deer keep it ate down and it keeps growing. I also over seed with Winter Wheat just to give the blend some protection.

Its pretty too.

Attachment 939759
What name is this LSU blend and where are you buying it ?
T-roy66 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-30-2018, 01:44 PM   #4
lovemylegacy
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-roy66 View Post
What name is this LSU blend and where are you buying it ?
Its called BuckBuster Blend. There are 2 types, Reg and Prem. You can buy it online, I get it in Sulphur La. at Fletchers Feed on Ruth Street, right next to Holliers Rest.

My plots are located in Newton County, sandy loam soil.
Old 12-30-2018, 01:47 PM   #5
Drycreek3189
Pope & Young

Spring/summer it's IC peas, soybeans or a combination

Fall/winter it's wheat/oats/rye grain usually with some Austrian winter peas

Perennial it's Whitetail Institute clover

These crops have never let me down.
Drycreek3189 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-30-2018, 01:59 PM   #6
Slick8
Pope & Young

Hunt In: In the woods

I had a small amount of iron clay peas but they didn't survive the early frost in November.

In the past I've planted oats but they don't seem to be attractive in the late season.

I plant about 600 yards of a cornfield turn row with a couple of wide spots near the south end. I have a box blind positioned on a well pad with shots ranging from about 250 to the edges and 125isb to the center.

I planted a 3 blend clover mix. While I like it it was late to really flourish. I believe I'll mix in a little bit of oats next year for an earlier start along with the clover.

Name:  20181219_094727.jpg
Views: 1175
Size:  94.9 KBName:  20181219_094706.jpg
Views: 1174
Size:  71.2 KBName:  20181219_094358.jpg
Views: 1174
Size:  81.3 KBName:  20181128_091847(0).jpg
Views: 1160
Size:  75.5 KBName:  20181219_093756.jpg
Views: 1166
Size:  63.2 KB

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
Slick8 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-30-2018, 03:38 PM   #7
Low Fence
Pope & Young

I had a biologist a long time ago tell me in a food plot seminar ďeverything I tell you is a lie, until you prove it trueĒ. Iíve taken that quote to all levels of deer hunting with records and notes of about anything you can take records and notes on.

In most areas I hunt I already have native rye grass and clovers of several species so I donít plant to compete with those. My #1 mix for my area:
Fall plots
I&C cow peas- 25# acre- they wonít survive the frost... but deer will kill them within 2 weeks anyway. Just a draw
Bob oats- 25# acre- early season draw and preferred
Wheat- 25# acre- late season preferred and cold tolerant
Winter peas-10# acre- low preference... very low, but available if needed and a legume
Purple top turnips- 2# acre- even lower preference most years but this year has been exception. Tops anyway, but bust soil and add organic materials for spring

Spring plot:

I&C peas..... thatís it. Nothing else competes with preferences or tonnage. And holds up to browse pressure best. Still need 2 ac minimum plots to keep from being destroyed
Attached Images

Last edited by Low Fence; 12-30-2018 at 03:40 PM.
Low Fence is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-30-2018, 03:47 PM   #8
Slick8
Pope & Young

Hunt In: In the woods

I agree with the clover and competing with native issue. My lease has always had a little clover but I plan in a high traffic area so I thought I'd give it a shot. With the extremely wet year we've had, there's more native clover then I've every seen around the pasture.

I too have tried winter peas which look great but don't seem to be very attractive.

Been thinking about adding alfalfa for the late season. My uncle has been planting it for two years now near College Station and is having excellent results.

Plus that along with the oats gives the land owner some high quality / protein hay which he mixes with whole corn and a few other items for a custom grind.
Slick8 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-30-2018, 03:58 PM   #9
Low Fence
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick8 View Post
I agree with the clover and competing with native issue. My lease has always had a little clover but I plan in a high traffic area so I thought I'd give it a shot. With the extremely wet year we've had, there's more native clover then I've every seen around the pasture.

I too have tried winter peas which look great but don't seem to be very attractive.

Been thinking about adding alfalfa for the late season. My uncle has been planting it for two years now near College Station and is having excellent results.

Plus that along with the oats gives the land owner some high quality / protein hay which he mixes with whole corn and a few other items for a custom grind.
Problem I had with my limited experience with alfalfa was competition in a mix plot or just my area, one or the other. But didnít grow well to justify cost

Could be just me. They are working on a variety now for specific for East Texas and Iíll try and get on the field testing side of it
Old 12-30-2018, 04:14 PM   #10
Beargrasstx
Eight Point

Hunt In: Leon County, Robertson County, and Limestone County....Montana-Colorado

Awesome, thank you for the information. Would y'all or anyone that reads this thread be interested in forming a group to share planting records. I will explain more later how that would work but I am not a sponsor until Jan. 1st so not able to discuss specifics. Basically, I want to learn as much as I can and the best way to do that is to work with others and share intel. I am on the lookout for a grain drill 6ft wide used if anyone has one for sell.
Old 12-30-2018, 04:21 PM   #11
Low Fence
Pope & Young

I don’t FB but I’m willing to share any info I may have or continue to collect. I love the food plot farming almost as much as hunting them... almost
Old 12-30-2018, 07:22 PM   #12
lovemylegacy
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beargrasstx View Post
Awesome, thank you for the information. Would y'all or anyone that reads this thread be interested in forming a group to share planting records. I will explain more later how that would work but I am not a sponsor until Jan. 1st so not able to discuss specifics. Basically, I want to learn as much as I can and the best way to do that is to work with others and share intel. I am on the lookout for a grain drill 6ft wide used if anyone has one for sell.
Let the deer show you what they like.

On my lease its Soybeans in the Summer and a blend I buy, combined with Winter Wheat. I tried mixing Soybeans in with my Winter plot, but they either didn't come up or the deer pulled them up. Anything to supplement the natural browse is fine as long as they eat it.

Another thing that gets overlooked is fertilizing the natural browse, it is extremely good for the deer.

We used Berseem clover also this past Winter, I was disappointed.

Last edited by lovemylegacy; 12-30-2018 at 07:27 PM.
Old 12-31-2018, 07:49 AM   #13
BTLowry
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Behind the house and public in Texas; Kansas Unit 5

I have planted all sorts of stuff. If somebody told me deer liked it I would plant it.

Pretty much the same results with most of it, grows up nice and pretty and deer walk through or around it without much interest.

In 2017 I decided that if I was going to plant stuff and the deer were not going to eat it I might as well mix some sunflower in so the birds would have something.
When the sunflowers (black oil just like you buy with the rest of the birdfeed) got about knee high the deer found them. There was nothing left but knee high stalks, no leaves, no flowers, all gone. Then they laid into the I&C peas.

Fall plots are still oats, winter peas and turnips and they get grazed on by the deer.
BTLowry is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-31-2018, 02:14 PM   #14
Houston4x4
Eight Point

Hunt In: Buffalo area

In
Houston4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-31-2018, 02:24 PM   #15
Houston4x4
Eight Point

Hunt In: Buffalo area

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beargrasstx View Post
What has been your best food plot where you hunt? By best, I mean deer preference

Location?
Crop?

Leon County
Oats/rye grass (I am looking to try some new stuff, didn't get to plant a food plot this season)

Speaking of, I am looking for a used grain drill 6ft wide.

If there was a way to easily document this information and have access to your records year after year on your phone or computer through the internet, would you use it? With the ability to share these records with a group of people(friends, family, lease members, neighbors). I thought it would be cool to keep track of food plots to discover what grew better on a certain property or a crop deer preferred over another over different hunting locations. Which in turn, I thought that would be useful information to be able to share, as long, as those I am sharing with are doing the same.

I can tell you that in Leon county where I am I had the most amazing turnip crop ever most bigger than my hand and they didnít touch them. It was sad to till all those amazing turnips back into the ground in spring
Attached Images

Houston4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-01-2019, 11:05 PM   #16
Big pig
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Goliad and Leon Co.

I like elbon rye, wheat and oats in our Leon county sandy land. Planted later in October.
Not sure what kind, but clover was added this year and it really grew well.
Havenít watched deer graze it.

But cages show amazing amount eaten of all plants.
Rain this year was amazing. Also limed and fertilized.
Spread one bag of fertilizer last week in a small area to watch the difference.

Last edited by Big pig; 01-01-2019 at 11:14 PM.
Big pig is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-02-2019, 01:11 PM   #17
Razrbk89
Ten Point

Hunt In: Northern & Eastern Arkansas

North AR. Two places in close proximity to the MO line.

Spring: some beans, but mostly just fertilizing old fields/disc/burn

Fall: Turnips, wheat, clover mixes.

Annual: overseed fields every couple years with lezpedeza and clover to encourage continued production of both.

Our plots always get quite a bit of use, but some years (like this one) they really get hit hard. Weak acorn crop puts the pressure on them. Theyíve seemed to prefer turnips more than anything else, but itís also easier to notice the browsing on them. Wheat and clover fills the gaps once they get the turnips cleaned up.

Seeding & fertlizing old fields is also very beneficial from a tonnage standpoint, and is quick/cheap. There arenít many spots on us where a buck canít find something to eat.
Attached Images

Razrbk89 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-02-2019, 01:24 PM   #18
cva34
Ten Point

Hunt In: LOOKING

Been a few years but best we ever found in Piney woods was; winter wheat/elbon Rye/Arrow leaf clover
cva34 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-02-2019, 02:31 PM   #19
lovemylegacy
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston4x4 View Post
I can tell you that in Leon county where I am I had the most amazing turnip crop ever most bigger than my hand and they didnít touch them. It was sad to till all those amazing turnips back into the ground in spring
Those turnips were probably the best fertilizer you could have used.
Old 01-02-2019, 02:55 PM   #20
Beargrasstx
Eight Point

Thanks fellas, keep it coming. Food plots is new to me and something I really want to get into going forward.
Old 01-04-2019, 03:28 PM   #21
PassnItOn
Eight Point

Hunt In: Stonewall, TX

What about you hill country guys? We are in Gillespie county and I want to put in spring plots.
PassnItOn is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-04-2019, 07:04 PM   #22
BolilloLoco
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Old Mexico, Washington County & Mason County

BobOats, Winter Wheat or Rye Grain
BolilloLoco is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-04-2019, 07:28 PM   #23
Jon B
Ten Point

Hunt In: Central Tx and the Western States

They eat the top of the turnips after the first freeze. It causes them to sweeten. They didn't eat my turnips either just the greens off the top.
Jon B is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-04-2019, 07:38 PM   #24
elgato
Ten Point

I'm a fan of daikon radishes in a food plot. Of all the things I've planted thru the years I have never seen deer take to anything faster. They are great for the soil, great for deer and fit into a multi specie cover crop rotation very nicely. This grown no till, no fertilizer drilled into a soy bean field terminated with a roller crimper.The mix for fall was wheat, red clover and radishes.
Attached Images

elgato is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-04-2019, 11:18 PM   #25
Mountaineer
Eight Point

Hunt In: WV,SD, Hunt co

Quote:
Originally Posted by elgato View Post
I'm a fan of daikon radishes in a food plot. Of all the things I've planted thru the years I have never seen deer take to anything faster. They are great for the soil, great for deer and fit into a multi specie cover crop rotation very nicely. This grown no till, no fertilizer drilled into a soy bean field terminated with a roller crimper.The mix for fall was wheat, red clover and radishes.

Now that is a radish! I thought mine were doing ok trying for the 1st time this fall, but thatís impressive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mountaineer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-05-2019, 03:20 AM   #26
Beargrasstx
Eight Point

https://youtu.be/qucAHh49p6M

This is a video demonstrating how we can record, edit, and share nutrition records. Food plots, feeders, and mineral sites can all be recorded and easily accessed from your phone, computer, or tablet.

You do not have to be tech savvy, having the ability to navigate around on this website is all the skill you will need to use https://thehuntersight.com.
Old 01-06-2019, 11:50 PM   #27
Ryan81
Ten Point

Hunt In: NE Texas, Oklahoma

The cattle grazer on my lease in Jack County planted 15 acres of wheat. I donít think he fertilized snd he turned the cows in to early but I didnít see many deer on it.

Occasionally a small 6 or 8 would stop by for a few mins. Usually had 2-3 doe on it in the evening times. I saw more hogs on it than anything. Definitely didnít see a shooter on it during day light.

I set my feeder up 100 yards in the woods from the field with my tripod on the edge of the field overlooking both.

Ryan81 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-10-2019, 10:29 AM   #28
Ben59
Nubbin' Buck

What types of food plots work for central Texas around Coleman county. We are wanting to try and plant some this year but have never messed with them before.
Ben59 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-10-2019, 07:55 PM   #29
jds247
Ten Point

Hunt In: Jasper county newton county and sabine county

When I ran cows on my place I always planted 40 acres of rye grass and crimson clover.. I'm about a mile from the sabine river in newton county and my place is pretty much sugar sand. Winter is the only time I have enough moisture to grow food plots.. I've sold the cows so I haven't planted in a couple years.. I just bought 50 lbs of clover to throw out this weekend.. I've tried just about everything and the rye grass clover works best for me. About may I plan to plant a few acres of pearl millet. I've planted it in the past and they hit it pretty hard until it gets tall . I usually mow it when it gets about 2 ft tall..

Last edited by jds247; 01-10-2019 at 07:57 PM.
jds247 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-10-2019, 08:10 PM   #30
Low Fence
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by jds247 View Post
When I ran cows on my place I always planted 40 acres of rye grass and crimson clover.. I'm about a mile from the sabine river in newton county and my place is pretty much sugar sand. Winter is the only time I have enough moisture to grow food plots.. I've sold the cows so I haven't planted in a couple years.. I just bought 50 lbs of clover to throw out this weekend.. I've tried just about everything and the rye grass clover works best for me. About may I plan to plant a few acres of pearl millet. I've planted it in the past and they hit it pretty hard until it gets tall . I usually mow it when it gets about 2 ft tall..
Might try sunflower. Cheap enough and they will mix in with pearl head well
Old 01-10-2019, 10:21 PM   #31
Low Fence
Pope & Young

Good cover
Good food
.... and if deer donít like it, great dove hunting
Attached Images

Old 01-16-2019, 04:05 PM   #32
lovemylegacy
Pope & Young

Good thread.

You do anything special when you plant sunflower seed? I have planted them with mixed results, think it might have been to wet.
Old 01-16-2019, 07:27 PM   #33
Ground Checkin' Heavies
Ten Point

Hunt In: Freer, Tx

Anyone do any food plots in south Texas? Iím feeding 30-35 bucks all summer, then when they break out of the bachelor groups in October-November they move to other pastures. Thinking of doing another feed station about 1200 yards from my blind to try and keep 1-2 more mature bucks in my area.

Ground Checkin' Heavies is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-23-2019, 02:34 PM   #34
Cardinal
Six Point

Hunt In: Henderson Co./Anderson Co.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Fence View Post
Good cover
Good food
.... and if deer donít like it, great dove hunting
Awesome looking field...is this just the pearl millet you noted above and sunflowers? Any sort of variety on the sunflowers? Do you mix in the I&C peas with this?

I have a Ī 4.5 acre hay field that army worms and the drought decimated a few years ago. Now its a goatweed/croton field that I plant my winter plot in (only about 2 acres of it).

Our cows dont have access to this particular pasture but I like the idea of giving plenty of cover/food for the deer and worst case keeping the doves around (they like the goatweed/croton).
Cardinal is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-23-2019, 05:55 PM   #35
Low Fence
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
Awesome looking field...is this just the pearl millet you noted above and sunflowers? Any sort of variety on the sunflowers? Do you mix in the I&C peas with this?

I have a Ī 4.5 acre hay field that army worms and the drought decimated a few years ago. Now its a goatweed/croton field that I plant my winter plot in (only about 2 acres of it).

Our cows dont have access to this particular pasture but I like the idea of giving plenty of cover/food for the deer and worst case keeping the doves around (they like the goatweed/croton).
That was just a field I drilled with black oil sunflowers (bird seed) and pearl head millet. I alternated every 40-50 feet. You could easily add peas to the mix though and they would do well.

Usually 60 after planting the flowers will be full bloom. 90 days dried pretty good. At 110-120 they will crumble! Pearl head needs longer probably 120-150 days. So I have dove food ready by sept 1 then another bumper crop of millet mid season that will carry through

Goat weed is useless until it ďpopsĒ... which in my area is around mid October. Dove love it IF you can get grass down extremely low. Too many people hunt goat weed opening day, and see zero..... and the ones that do well... had help ( Iíd bet a new nickel milo is in the mix, cause they canít eat a green seed inside a cotton ball )
Old 01-23-2019, 07:03 PM   #36
Hix
Ten Point

Hunt In: East Texas- Gregg Co., Cass & Marion Co.

Iron & Clay Cowpeas in East Texas for a summer/ early fall plot, they will last till the first frost if the deer donít eat them all before.

These smaller plots were wiped out before archery season ended.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Hix is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-25-2019, 11:49 AM   #37
Beargrasstx
Eight Point

Wow! Great job! Love that first photo
Old 01-26-2019, 08:34 PM   #38
TKP1991
Four Point

Hunt In: Newton County

Thanks for all the information, this will be my first year trying to plant as well so everything helps!
TKP1991 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-26-2019, 09:36 PM   #39
Wits_End
Eight Point

When do you plant iron and clay cowpeas mixed with soybeans?
Wits_End is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-27-2019, 08:02 PM   #40
Low Fence
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wits_End View Post
When do you plant iron and clay cowpeas mixed with soybeans?
Moisture permitting 2nd week of May