Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening to whenever. Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

Very close to a much worse disaster?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Very close to a much worse disaster?

So we are starting to hear more about how close we came to losing the entire grid which would have taken unknown weeks to repair. I was told today by someone supposedly in the loop that we came within minutes of total failure four times. Can you imagine the chaos/social unrest if the whole state went down that long? ERCOT is the whipping boy for the blackouts (and to some degree deservedly so) but it if this is true it was very close to being much worse. Anyone with inside info that can verify this?
    Last edited by jerp; 02-19-2021, 12:21 PM.

I heard it would take 2.5 to 3 weeks to restart the whole grid. No idea if that’s right or not. Would sure be an emergency.

Comment

How big of a propane tank will I need for my whole home generator to run for a month? 40K gallons?

Comment

What takes so long to bring back online?

Comment

Originally posted by bboswell View Post
          I don't know the answer to that question - maybe someone around here can explain it.

Comment

John, I have pondered this myself. Before I saw this post, I started another thread to better understand Ercot's responsibility for the problem.

The positive I see coming from this dire calamity is that perhaps the green energy folks will realize that their solutions will NOT solve our power needs in peak times.

Comment

How long would it take a governor with some balls to tell the EPA to kick rocks, and build/rebuild the necessary power plants to avoid such a problem?

Comment

I saw a article with the same kind of title. I don't click on them because most of the time its just Click bait.

I do wonder if there is any truth to it, and if so, someone needs to lose their job over it.

Comment

There's an article on Yahoo news covering this exact subject. TBH ahead of the curve.

Comment

This is what I have been wondering. How does the whole system go down? Many separate ways of power generation and separate providers and transmission outputs. Doesn't make sense to me that it could all go down and if it did, take weeks or months to get back going.

Comment

Originally posted by Burnadell View Post
                      John, I have pondered this myself. Before I saw this post, I started another thread to better understand Ercot's responsibility for the problem.

The positive I see coming from this dire calamity is that perhaps the green energy folks will realize that their solutions will NOT solve our power needs in peak times.
                      LOL That's funny. Let me know when you see one of these greenies admit anything. I don't think a single one will change their tune.

Comment

Actual damage caused to the equipment. Things would have be repaired or rebuilt instead of just thawing and being brought back online.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

I'll be interested when the post mortem is written to know what percentage of the outages were from what causes:
                          * "normal" winter storm damage (downed lines, etc)
                          * Power plants going offline due to extreme weather
                          * ERCOT mandated rolling blackouts.

Comment

In my opinion this was nothing more than a miss-management of power / electricity.

I was without power for 35 hrs.

However Weds things started to stabilize, Power was random Weds morning, but I have have not had a single power outage since Weds @ 4:00 PM. So Weds & Thursday - we still had freezing temps across the state and more snow locally. What made Weds and Thursday any more stabile than Monday & Tuesday? To my knowledge solar and wind did not suddenly thaw out, more natural gas, coal plants didn't come on line in did they?

So - how else do you explain it other than - an unprepared epic failure miss management of power by ERCOT?

Comment

Originally posted by LWC View Post
                              This is what I have been wondering. How does the whole system go down? Many separate ways of power generation and separate providers and transmission outputs. Doesn't make sense to me that it could all go down and if it did, take weeks or months to get back going.
                              The same way the whole east coast was blacked out in the mid 70's. One plant went down and the remaining could not handle the load. Rest fell like
                              dominoes.

Comment

Working...
                              X