Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will we lose whitetail in the Hill Country?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Will we lose whitetail in the Hill Country?

With the extended cold spell, will we lose some whitetail? Any frostbite concerns with the wind chills? Never had to even think about it before.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I doubt it. They’re tough critters and you should have plenty of protection from wind with your terrain.

Comment

Native animals are resilient and have a strong instinct for survival. You might loose some weak ones, but the majority will do just fine.

Non-native exotics are a different story. We will see many pictures and hear lots of stories of frozen exotics over the next week

Comment

Survival of the fittest!

Comment

I have heard of axis and blackbuck dying already. I saw a blackbuck doe today that didn’t look like she was going to make it.

Comment

Originally posted by Maddox View Post
            Native animals are resilient and have a strong instinct for survival. You might loose some weak ones, but the majority will do just fine.

Non-native exotics are a different story. We will see many pictures and hear lots of stories of frozen exotics over the next week

I have a big herd of axis that feed in the backyard daily. They stay in the cedar thicket in the 2 acres behind the house. 16 degrees here now and suppose to get to single digits tonight. If some are frozen in the morning, backstraps and hindquarters would be fine to remove and consume, wouldn’t they? Serious question.... might as well benefit from the tragedy if possible.

Comment

Originally posted by TXBRASS View Post
              I have a big herd of axis that feed in the backyard daily. They stay in the cedar thicket in the 2 acres behind the house. 16 degrees here now and suppose to get to single digits tonight. If some are frozen in the morning, backstraps and hindquarters would be fine to remove and consume, wouldn’t they? Serious question.... might as well benefit from the tragedy if possible.

Yes, as long as they predators haven’t gotten to them.

If I found some frozen tomorrow I would throw a tarp over my skinning rack, crank up a mr buddy heater, and spend the day skinning as many axis as I could find.

Comment

I don’t think it’s anything to be concerned about with wt, deer up north live in this every year. I do have a 3 year old that never really seemed to recover from the rut, I’m
                A little concerned about him.... I think that would be the most common case

Comment

no

Comment

I shot a Axis in Kerrville back in the day when I lived there that had funny looking ears, my buddy who mounted it said it was caused from frostbite. So there might be some rounder looking ears coming from this.

Comment

I drove down to Rocksprings today. But out a few bales of Alfalfa and cottonseed..Axis seem fine, I had 3 young blackbuck sitting on south side of one of the cabins. 6 degrees and snowing I'm concerned they won't make it next 48hrs.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Maddox View Post
                        Yes, as long as they predators haven’t gotten to them.

If I found some frozen tomorrow I would throw a tarp over my skinning rack, crank up a mr buddy heater, and spend the day skinning as many axis as I could find.

Gonna go check the thicket in the AM.

Comment

We all gonna find out come Wednesday or Thursday........this is definitely gonna be a interesting thread in about a week.

Comment

There’s still a lot of post rut whitetail bucks that aren’t in the best shape. Some won’t of them won’t mske it.

Comment

Originally posted by Hills of Texas View Post
                              There’s still a lot of post rut whitetail bucks that aren’t in the best shape. Some won’t of them won’t mske it.
                              X2

Comment

Working...
                              X