Duck guys.......?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Duck guys.......?

So for 3 weeks this little brownish colored duck has been staying in my pond. It’s a fairly small pond and this thing won’t get anywhere near the edge unless my chickens happen to be out there. Is it normal for a duck to stay in the water 24/7?
    It is pretty small compared to the ring neck pair that showed up this morning.

Sounds like it may be a grebe

Comment

Ruddy duck maybe?

Comment

Originally posted by captainsling View Post
        Ruddy duck maybe?
        Immediately what I thought.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Bryan2014 View Post
          Sounds like it may be a grebe
          Was thinking the same thing

Comment

I just googled both suggestions. Looks more like the grebe but even with the Nikons I can’t get a great look. The grebe description is fairly close as well. It does dive a lot, my daughter and I snuck to the edge the other day and it dove and stayed down a long time and when I next noticed it all I could see was the top of its head and the description mentioned they could submerge their whole body and hide with just their head and bill above water

Comment

Originally posted by flywise View Post
              I just googled both suggestions. Looks more like the grebe but even with the Nikons I can’t get a great look. The grebe description is fairly close as well. It does dive a lot, my daughter and I snuck to the edge the other day and it dove and stayed down a long time and when I next noticed it all I could see was the top of its head and the description mentioned they could submerge their whole body and hide with just their head and bill above water
              Grebe

Comment

Yep Grebe. That’s normal for them

Comment

Grebe

Comment

Originally posted by flywise View Post

That does sound like the characteristics of a grebe. I've watched them many times swim through my dequees.

Comment

Originally posted by Texas Grown View Post
                      That does sound like the characteristics of a grebe. I've watched them many times swim through my dequees.
                      I felt sorry for that thing a few days ago( thinking it was a very Young duck ) went out and stacked some rocks as a wind break and put hay in it. Lol, sure do some crazy things the older you get

Comment

Grebe. They don't even dive most of the time. They just sink and then start swimming. Cool little birds.

Comment

Originally posted by DUKFVR View Post
                          Grebe
                          Would be my guess (aka pooter scooter)

Comment

Originally posted by Low Fence View Post
                            Would be my guess (aka pooter scooter)
                            AKA Hell diver

Comment

Yep. Grebe. Most of the duck hunters, that joined us after Duck Dynasty came along, will still blow a Mallard call at Full Hail if they see one in the distance.

Comment

Working...
                              X