New Truck Prices

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by camoclad View Post
    Because used to be a horrible thing financially with depreciation. Something has changed though. It started with cash for clunkers and the 08 bailout and hasn't stopped. Some sort of reset but it's hard to put a finger on.

I read that Tesla, for the first time EVER, was profitable this year. Up until this year, their number one commodity was selling carbon credits to the other automakers. Imagine being a automaker and what you really make is a carbon credit. Now imagine being a automaker and having to buy so many carbon credits from another automaker that it keeps their failed buisness afloat for 20 years. One of many reasons vehicles cost so much.
    Interesting theory. Throwin Darts has a good theory too. I think that MFG's offering financing (Ford Credit, GMAC/Ally) was the downfall. MFG's realized hey, we can make more money off the customer if we just offer them a loan, that is one year longer than typical loans. That equates to a lot of interest MFG's make. THEN, the consumer knows okay, I have to pay on the loan for one more year, but the monthly payment is the same price.

Consumer gets a bigger, better truck they always wanted for "the same" price. MFG's make more money than they ever did before. Everyone wins.

Comment

I have always thought the new truck prices are crazy. I have bought my last 4 trucks Slightly used. When I do this, the price of the truck is more in line with where I think it should be. So I will buy a 2 year old truck with low miles. Then pay a tad more for an extended warranty. Then I drive them for a couple hundred thousand miles. I let other people buy them at high prices and I come in a couple year later and buy at the correct price. At least the correct price for me.

Comment

Originally posted by atcfisherman View Post
        We need more people to not buy new trucks or new boats so the prices will drop. Too many Americans are "financing themselves to death." Unless we stop paying these ridiculous prices, the trend will continue.
        True that! My dad told me when I was young, "If you HAVE to finance it, you can't afford it." The operative words are "have to" as I realize in a low interest rate paradigm it may make sense to finance some items, but if you have to finance, likely not a good purchase.

Comment

Still sporting around in my 2004.5 Dodge and the wife just got our ole stand by 95 7.3 inspected yesterday. We took our extra new truck buying money and bought a lake house.

Comment

Seems like 2015 is when the truck prices got way out of hand. In 2013 you could buy a fully loaded F150 4x4 Platinum for $40k. That same truck new today is $65k- $75k. Pretty ridiculous. 2021 Loaded F150 Lariat $62k!

Comment

Originally posted by TacticalCowboy View Post
              Do I just have a really low paying job, or are pickups just priced high?
              I wouldn't say you have a low paying job, just too low for a 90k truck.

Here's a new truck for 32.5k.

View Akins Ford's cars for sale in Winder GA. We have a great selection of new and used cars, trucks and SUVs.

Comment

Originally posted by Fmjag64 View Post
                Seems like 2015 is when the truck prices got way out of hand. In 2013 you could buy a fully loaded F150 4x4 Platinum for $40k. That same truck new today is $65k- $75k. Pretty ridiculous. 2021 Loaded F150 Lariat $62k!
                Multiple stimulus dumped into the monetary system devalues the value of a dollar.

We have dumped trillions in multiple times since 2008.

Comment

Originally posted by gingib View Post
                  join the american way! Just get into debt to keep up with the Jones.

Thats why they make 7 year loans now. STUPID
                  That's what I thought too. I thought 6 year loans were ridiculous when I bought my last truck. I've been looking and saw 7 year loans. That is crazy!

Comment

The only way I would jump into another new vehicle right now is if they offered Zero Percent financing like they did in Feb. 2020......but then COVID hit and the vehicle supply dried up.....but even then cannot and will not buy a $45K,50,55,65 vehicle. It is a truck and I use it as one. Need A/C, heat and basic radio - so that means i will drive and be happy with what I have until it can no longer be fixed.

Comment

Originally posted by TacticalCowboy View Post
                      You gotta get it to 500k!!!
                      That would be quite a milestone! We'll see how it goes.

Comment

Just get a $80K boat to match it and a $60K RV and a $25K SxS. You should be out of debt before your kids have to start paying your loans off for you. That's what my in-laws did to me.

Comment

What is amazing is you can put $30-40K in options on a truck!

Comment

Originally posted by BrianL View Post
                            What is amazing is you can put $30-40K in options on a truck!
                            I ain't gonna lie, I though a heated steering wheel and heated and cooled seats were dumb.

Until I got a heated steering wheel and heated and cooled seats.

Comment

I am still driving my 2012 F150 Crew Cab Lariat 4x4 with the 5.0. Bought new and paid off within 18 months. Have 128K miles on it and plan on making 200K miles before getting a new one or new-used one.

Comment

Originally posted by Krivoman View Post
                                I have always thought the new truck prices are crazy. I have bought my last 4 trucks Slightly used. When I do this, the price of the truck is more in line with where I think it should be. So I will buy a 2 year old truck with low miles. Then pay a tad more for an extended warranty. Then I drive them for a couple hundred thousand miles. I let other people buy them at high prices and I come in a couple year later and buy at the correct price. At least the correct price for me.
                                I have done several vehicles this way, works great with my local credit union. The last truck I bought was 2 years old with 22k on it. All said and done 30k out the door with some trade value and the original sticker was nearly 50k.

Comment

Working...
                                X