Things To Do ~ North & South Carolina

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Things To Do ~ North & South Carolina

The wife & I are thinking on heading to North & South Carolina next month for a short vacation. We will fly into Charlotte. We are planning on going to the Asheville area and maybe down to the Charleston, SC. We have a few things planned but wanted to get some ideas from other people who have been in that area. What are the things to do & must see around that area

I have been wanting to check this out, and plan to when our daughter gets a little older. Samuel Pearson is my 7th great grandfather. Not sure if something like that would interest you and your wife, but it is on my list of things to do.

The Last Mill Standing: Yates Mill is Chapter 2 of a thesis on the history of milling in Wake County North Carolina.

Comment

Outer Banks of NC

One of my fav US locations

Duck, Kitty Hawk, Nags Head, etc

Comment

Originally posted by bobc View Post
        I have been wanting to check this out, and plan to when our daughter gets a little older. Samuel Pearson is my 7th great grandfather. Not sure if something like that would interest you and your wife, but it is on my list of things to do.

https://www.yatesmill.org/milling-thesis-chapter-2/
        Cool piece of family history. Yes we love this kind of stuff. We went to the New England states a few years ago and visited several mills. I don't know if we will get to that part of the state, but will keep it in mind if we do

Comment

Originally posted by TD2000 View Post
          Outer Banks of NC

One of my fav US locations

Duck, Kitty Hawk, Nags Head, etc

I would love to do a little offshore fishing, but dont have the time

Comment

Outer banks is really nice. We spent a week there last year. Really enjoyed it. Spent half a day at the Wright Brothers museum. Wasn’t overwhelming but was neat to see while we were there

Comment

Skip Asheville. Go straight to outer banks or even Moorehead/Wilmington area. Or just come on to Charleston first, if you decide you want to leave go elsewhere. Asheville is like Austin with strung out/scary drug infestation. It used to be nice but last time I went the hippies were no longer pleasant.. if you want reservations at any nice restaurants in Charleston get them now if you can

Comment

North Carolina: Biltmore in Ashville, Singletary State Park(just because my family owned the land/lake)

South Carolina: Charleston eates "Bertha's Kitchen"(James Beard Award Winner) in the hood but so good and "Hanks". Savannah instead of Charleston all day long. Say at the Marshal House hotel. Old school and a great breakfast/happy hour.

Comment

We stayed at an AirBnB near Canton. It’s was very nice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Sanderling Inn
                    Duck, NC

Years ago I have memories of going through Duck and it was a two track road in the sand
                    I can attest from recent stays it is in the high rent district and won't disappoint

Comment

Originally posted by careybirdwell View Post
                      I would love to do a little offshore fishing, but dont have the time
                      Worth making the time. 50 miles out to get to the gulf stream waters. Lots of old ship wrecks in area. Caught schools of dolphin until you said uncle. Multiple blue marlin in 400lb range. Sail fish. And beautiful blue waters off the coast. I believe my ashes will be off that coast later in life.

Comment

If it’s in July fishing will be very slow, save your money and go inshore. Unless you stay up towards Manteo but even then it has a high probability of being slow offshore.

Comment

Blue Ridge Mountains - Asheville and the Blue Ridge parkway!

I lived in North Carolina for a couple of years. Avon, Ocracoke, Kitty Hawk & Buxton and the Buxton lighthouse are fun but, it's a haul from where you are flying into and, the beaches are loaded with people making Highway 12 - the strand along the barrier islands to there, a slow roll.

Grave Digger HQ is in that zone, with a lot of high-end ocean-front beach homes.

It's very commercialized.

The mountains, this time of the year, green and cooler than the coast, it's an experience
                          Last edited by AtTheWall; 06-08-2023, 01:09 PM.

Comment

What are you into? History, tourist, beach, mountains, rest, fishing, etc? I grew up in SC. Live an hour from Charlotte in NC now.

Comment

Originally posted by hot_rod_eddie View Post
                              What are you into? History, tourist, beach, mountains, rest, fishing, etc? I grew up in SC. Live an hour from Charlotte in NC now.
                              We like hisrorical stuff, plantation homes, mountain hiking, horseback riding, river kayaking or raftimg. A little of everything. We like good eating but we are not the type of people that will wait for 2 hours tontry something

Comment

Working...
                              X